- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Incidence and Mortality of Breast Cancer and their Relationship with the Human Development Index (HDI) in the World in 2012
- Ghoncheh, Mahshid (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Mirzaei, Maryam (School of Public Health, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid (Minimally Invasive Surgery Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Background: Breast cancer is the most common malignancy in women worldwide and its incidence is generally increasing. In 2012, it was the second most common cancer in the world. It is necessary to obtain information on incidence and mortality for health planning. This study aimed to investigate the relationship between the human development index (HDI), and the incidence and mortality rates of breast cancer in the world in 2012. Materials and Methods: This ecologic study concerns incidence rate and standardized mortality rates of the cancer from GLOBOCAN in 2012, and HDI and its components extracted from the global bank site. Data were analyzed using correlation tests and regression with SPSS software (version 15). Results: Among the six regions of WHO, the highest breast cancer incidence rate (67.6) was observed in the PAHO, and the lowest incidence rate was 27.8 for SEARO. There was a direct, strong, and meaningful correlation between the standardized incidence rate and HDI (r=0.725,
- [UNDP] UND. 2014. Human Development Report [Online]. UNDP. Available: http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/presscenter/events/2014/july/HDR2014.html [Accessed July,2014.
- Albert US, Schulz KD (2003). Clinical breast examination: what can be recommended for its use to detect breast cancer in countries with limited resources? Breast J, 9, 90-3. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1524-4741.9.s2.10.x
- Almasi Z, Rafiemanesh H, Salehiniya H (2015). Epidemiology characteristics and trends of incidence and morphology of stomach cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2757-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757
- Bray F, Jemal A, Grey N, et al (2012). Global cancer transitions according to the Human Development Index (2008-2030): A population-based study. The Lancet Oncology, 13, 790-801. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(12)70211-5
- Cecilio AP, Takakura ET, Jumes JJ, et al (2015). Breast cancer in Brazil: epidemiology and treatment challenges. Breast Cancer (Dove Med Press), 7, 43-9.
- Chen GA, Tarver SL, Wen Y-F, et al (2014). Correlation Study of Knowledge and Behavior Regarding Breast Care among Female Undergraduate Students in China. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 15, 10943-7.
- Clegg LX, Reichman ME, Miller BA, et al (2009). Impact of socioeconomic status on cancer incidence and stage at diagnosis: selected findings from the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results: National Longitudinal Mortality Study. Cancer Causes Control, 20, 417-35. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9256-0
- Downing A, Prakash K, Gilthorpe M, et al (2007). Socioeconomic background in relation to stage at diagnosis, treatment and survival in women with breast cancer. British journal of cancer, 96, 836-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6603622
- Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Dikshit R, et al (2015). Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012. International Journal of Cancer, 136, 359-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.29210
- Ghoncheh M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Salehiniya H (2014). Incidence and mortality of breast cancer and their relationship to development in Asia. Asian Pacific journal of cancer prevention: APJCP, 16, 6081-7.
- Harford JB (2011). Breast-cancer early detection in low-income and middle-income countries: do what you can versus one size fits all. Lancet Oncol, 12, 306-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(10)70273-4
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Kantelhardt EJ, Hanson C, Albert U-S, et al (2008). Breast cancer in countries of limited resources. Breast Care, 3, 10-6.
- Keyghobadi N, Rafiemanesh H, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, et al (2015). Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1409-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- Kish JK, Yu M, Percy-Laurry A, et al (2014). Racial and ethnic disparities in cancer survival by neighborhood socioeconomic status in Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) Registries. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr, 2014, 236-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/jncimonographs/lgu020
- Malik K (2013). Human development report 2013. The rise of the South: Human progress in a diverse world. The Rise of the South: Human Progress in a Diverse World (March 15, 2013). UNDP-HDRO Human Development Reports.
- Nagrani RT, Budukh A, Koyande S, et al (2014). Rural urban differences in breast cancer in India. Indian J Cancer, 51, 277-81. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.146793
- Patel AR, Prasad SM, Shih Y-CT, et al (2012). The association of the human development index with global kidney cancer incidence and mortality. The Journal of urology, 187, 1978-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.juro.2012.01.121
- Razi S, Rafiemanesh H, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). Changing trends of types of skin cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4955-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4955
- WHO. 2014. World Health Organization-Noncommunicable Diseases (NCD) Country Profiles, 2014. [Online]. WHO. Available: http://www.who.int/nmh/countries/fji_en.pdf?ua=12015].
- WHO. 2015a. 10 facts about cancer [Online]. Available: http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/cancer/en/.
- WHO. 2015b. Breast cancer: prevention and control [Online]. Available: http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/en/index1.html#4/1/2015].
- Youlden DR, Cramb SM, Yip CH, et al (2014). Incidence and mortality of female breast cancer in the Asia-Pacific region. Cancer Biol Med, 11, 101-15.
- Epidemiology, incidence and mortality of oral cavity and lips cancer and their relationship with the human development index in the world vol.3, pp.10, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7603/s40730-016-0048-y
- Treatment of pain following cancer: applying neuro-immunology in rehabilitation practice pp.1464-5165, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/09638288.2016.1261418
- Survival Analysing of the Breast Cancer Patients Using Cure Model vol.19, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.55575
- miR-200b inhibits proliferation and metastasis of breast cancer by targeting fucosyltransferase IV and α1,3-fucosylated glycans vol.6, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1038/oncsis.2017.58
- Urbanization and Socioeconomic Development in Inner Mongolia in 2000 and 2010: A GIS Analysis vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/su9020235
- Microarray-based analysis of whole-genome DNA methylation profiling in early detection of breast cancer vol.120, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.27423
- Effects of RNA interference-mediated silencing of toll-like receptor 4 gene on proliferation and apoptosis of human breast cancer MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cells: An in vitro study pp.00219541, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.26573
- Racial Disparities and Preventive Measures to Renal Cell Carcinoma vol.15, pp.6, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15061089