- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Combined Treatment with 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose and Doxorubicin Enhances the in Vitro Efficiency of Breast Cancer Radiotherapy
- Islamian, Jalil Pirayesh (Department of Medical Physics, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Aghaee, Fahimeh (Department of Medical Physics, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Farajollahi, Alireza (Department of Medical Physics, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Baradaran, Behzad (Immunology Research center, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Fazel, Mona (Department of Medical Physics, Faculty of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Doxorubicin (DOX) was introduced as an effective chemotherapeutic for a wide range of cancers but with some severe side effects especially on myocardia. 2-Deoxy-D-glucose (2DG) enhances the damage caused by chemotherapeutics and ionizing radiation (IR) selectively in cancer cells. We have studied the effects of
2DG;breast cancer;cell line;combined modality therapy;Doxorubicin
Supported by : Tabriz University of Medical Sciences
- Aft RL, Zhang FW, and Gius D (2002). Evaluation of 2-deoxy-D-glucose as a chemotherapeutic agent: mechanism of cell death. Br J Cancer, 87, 805-12. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6600547
- Aghaee F, Pirayesh Islamian J, Baradaran B (2012). Enhanced radiosensitivity and chemosensitivity of breast cancer cells by 2-deoxy-d-glucose in combination therapy. J Breast Cancer, 15, 141-7. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2012.15.2.141
- Aghaee F, Pirayesh Islamian J, Baradaran B, et al (2013). Enhancing the radiation induced apoptosis in T47D and SKBR3 breast cancer cells by a low dose doxorubicin treatment. J Breast Cancer, 16, 164-70. https://doi.org/10.4048/jbc.2013.16.2.164
- Ahmad I, Mustafa EH, Mustafa NH, et al (2010). 2DG enhances the susceptibility of breast cancer cells to doxorubicin. Open Life Sci, 5, 739-48.
- Andringa KK, Coleman MC, Aykin-Burns N, et al (2006). Inhibition of glutamate cysteine ligase (GCL) activity sensitizes human breast cancer cells to the toxicity of 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Cancer Res, 66, 1605-10. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-3462
Aykin-Burns N, Ahmad IM, Zhu Y, et al (2009). Increased levels of superoxide and
$H_2O_2$mediate the differential susceptibility of cancer cells versus normal cells to glucose deprivation. Biochem J, 418, 29-37. https://doi.org/10.1042/BJ20081258
- Bergh J, Jonsson PE, Glimelius B, et al (2001). Swedish council of technology assessment in Health Care. A systematic overview of chemotherapy effects in breast cancer. Acta Oncol, 40, 253-81. https://doi.org/10.1080/02841860120784
- Butt AJ, Firth SM, King MA, et al (2000). Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 modulates expression of Bax and Bcl-2 and potentiates p53-independent radiation-induced apoptosis in human breast cancer cells. J BiolChem, 275, 39174-81.
- Cao J, Cui S, Li S, et al (2013). Targeted cancer therapy with a 2-deoxyglucose-based adriamycin complex. Cancer Res, 73, 1362-73. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-12-2072
- Carter SK (1979). CROS conference on combined modalities chemotherapy/radiotherapy. cancer chemother Pharmacolo, 2, 139-42.
- Chabner BA, Ryan DP, Paz-Ares L, et al (2001). Antineoplastic agents. In 'The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics', Eds Hardman JG, Limbird LE, Gilman AG. Goodman and Gilman's. 10th Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing Division, 1389-99.
- Coleman MC, Asbury CR, Daniels D, et al (2008). 2-Deoxy-D-glucose causes cytotoxicity, oxidative stress, and radiosensitization in pancreatic cancer. Free Radic Biol Med, 44, 322-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2007.08.032
- Dwarakanath BS, Jain VK (1987). Modification of the radiation induced damage by 2-deoxy-D-glucose in organ cultures of human cerebral gliomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 13, 741-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(87)90293-8
- Dwarakanath BS (2009). Cytotoxicity, radiosensitization and chemosensitization of tumor cells by 2-deoxy-D-glucose in vitro. J Cancer Ref Ther, 5, 27-31. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.55137
- Dwarkanath BS, Zolzer F, Chandana S, et al (2001). Heterogeneity in 2-deoxy-D-glucose-induced modifications in energetics and radiation responses of human tumor cell lines. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 50, 1051-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(01)01534-6
- Esposito F, Chirico G, Montesano Gesualdi N, et al (2003). Protein kinase B activation by reactive oxygen species is independent of tyrosine kinase receptor phosphorylation and requires SRC activity. J Biol Chem, 278, 20828-34. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M211841200
- Ghilotti M, Pierotti MA, Gariboldi M (2010). Molecular markers for prediction of risk of radiation-related injury to normal tissue. J Nucleic Acids Investig, 1, 55-61.
- Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Morales-Vasquez F, Hortobagyi GN (2007). Overview of resistance to systemic therapy in patients with breast cancer. Adv Exp Med Biol, 608, 1-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-0-387-74039-3_1
- Gupta S, Farooque A, Adhikari JS, et al (2009). Enhancement of radiation and chemotherapeutic drug responses by 2-deoxy-D-glucose in animal tumors. J Cancer Res Ther, 5, 16-20. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.55135
- Heminger K, Jain V, Kadakia M, et al (2006). Altered gene expression induced by ionizing radiation and glycolytic inhibitor 2-deoxy-glucose in a human glioma cell line: Implications for radiosensitization. Cancer Biol Ther, 5, 815-23. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.5.7.2812
- Hollestelle A, Elstrodt F, Nagel JH, et al (2007). Phosphatidylinositol-3-OH kinase or RAS pathway mutations in human breast cancer cell lines. Mol Cancer Res, 5, 195-201. https://doi.org/10.1158/1541-7786.MCR-06-0263
- Hortobagyi GN (1997). Anthracyclines in the treatment of cancer:An overview. Drugs, 54, 1-7.
- Jain VK, Purohit SC, Pohlit W (1977). Optimization of cancer therapy: Part I. Inhibition of repair of X-ray induced potentially lethal damage by 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose in Ehrlich ascites tumour cells. Indian J Exp Biol, 15, 711-3.
- Ju GZ, Shen B, Sun SL, et al (2007). Effect of X-rays on expression of caspase-3 and p53 in EL-4 cells and its biological implications. Biomed Environ Sci, 20, 456-9.
- Kaabinejadian S, Azizi E (2008). P53 Expression in MCF7, T47D and MDA-MB 468 breast cancer cell lines treated with adriamycin using RT-PCR and immunocytochemistry. J Biol Sci, 8, 380-5. https://doi.org/10.3923/jbs.2008.380.385
- Kalia VK, Devi NK (1994). Differential modification of radiation damage in 5-bromo-2-deoxy-uridine sensitized human glioma cells and PHA-stimulated peripheral leukocytes by 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose. Indian J Exp Biol, 32, 637-42.
- Kalia VK, Prabhakara S, Narayanan V (2009). Modulation of cellular radiation responses by 2-deoxy-D-glucose and other glycolytic inhibitors: implications for cancer therapy. J Cancer Res Ther, 5, 57-60. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.55145
- Kalia VK (1999). Optimizing radiation therapy of brain tumors by combination of 5-bromo-2-deoxy-uridine and 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Indian J Med Res, 109, 182-7.
- Kerr JF, Winterford CM, Harmon BV (1994). Apoptosis: Its significance in cancer and cancer therapy. Cancer, 73, 2013-26. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19940415)73:8<2013::AID-CNCR2820730802>3.0.CO;2-J
- Khaitan D, Chandna S, Arya MB, et al (2006). Differential mechanisms of radiosensitization by 2-Deoxy-D-Glucose in the monolayers and multicellular spheroids of a human glioma cell line. Cancer Biol Ther, 5, 1142-51. https://doi.org/10.4161/cbt.5.9.2986
- Lee YJ, Galoforo SS, Berns CM, et al (1998). Glucose deprivation-induced cytotoxicity and alterations in mitogenactivated protein kinase activation are mediated by oxidative stress in multidrug-resistant human breast carcinoma cells. J Biol Chem, 273, 5294-9. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.273.9.5294
- Lin X, Zhang F, Bradbury CM, et al (2003). 2-Deoxy-D-Glucoseinduced Cytotoxicity and Radiosensitization in Tumor Cells Is Mediated via Disruptions in Thiol Metabolism. Cancer Res, 63, 3413-7.
- Lu X, Nannenga B, Donehower LA (2005). PPM1D dephosphorylates Chk1 and p53 and abrogates cell cycle checkpoints. Genes Dev, 19, 1162-74. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1291305
- Maher JC, Krishan A, Lampidis TJ (2004). Greater cell cycle inhibition and cytotoxicity induced by 2-deoxy-D-glucose in tumor cells treated under hypoxic vs aerobic conditions. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol, 53, 116-22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00280-003-0724-7
- Meek WD (2004). The p53 response to DNA damage. DNA Repair, 3, 1049-56. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dnarep.2004.03.027
- Mohanti BK, Rath GK, Anantha N, et al (1996). Improving cancer radiotherapy with 2-deoxy-D-glucose: Phase I/II clinical trials on human cerebral gliomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 35, 103-11.
- Moulder S, Hortobagyi GN (2008). Advances in the treatment of breast cancer. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 83, 26-36. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.clpt.6100449
- Mustafa EH, Mahmoud HT, Al-Hudhud MY, et al (2015). 2-deoxy-D-Glucose synergizes with doxorubicin or L-buthionine sulfoximine to reduce adhesion and migration of breast cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3213-22. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3213
- Nakamura Y (2004). Isolation of p53-target genes and their functional analysis. Cancer Sci, 95, 7-11. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2004.tb03163.x
- O'Shaughnessy J (2003). Liposomal anthracyclines for breast cancer: Overview. Oncologist, 8, 1-2.
- Pelicano H, Martin DS, Xu RH, et al (2006). Glycolysis inhibition for anticancer treatment. Oncogene, 25, 4633-46. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1209597
- Sasaki A, Udaka Y, Tsunoda Y, et al (2012). Analysis of p53 and miRNA expression after irradiation of glioblastoma cell lines. Anticancer Res, 32, 4709-13.
- Simons AL, Ahmad IM, Mattson DM, et al (2007). 2-Deoxy-Dglucose combined with cisplatin enhances cytotoxicity via metabolic oxidative stress in human head and neck cancer cells. Cancer Res, 67, 3364-70. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-3717
- Singh G, Lakkis CL, Laucirica R, et al (1999). Regulation of prostate cancer cell division by glucose. J Cell Physiol, 180, 431-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4652(199909)180:3<431::AID-JCP14>3.0.CO;2-O
- Sinthupibulyakit C, Grimes KR, Domann FE, et al (2009). p53 is an important factor for the radiosensitization effect of 2-deoxy-D-glucose. Int J Oncol, 35, 609-15.
- Spitz DR, Sim JE, Ridnour LA, et al (2000). Glucose deprivationinduced oxidative stress in human tumor cells. A fundamental defect in metabolism? Ann N Y Acad Sci, 899, 349-62.
- Streffer C, Beuningen V, Gross E, et al (1986). Predictive assays for the therapy of rectum carcinoma. Radiother Oncol, 5, 303-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8140(86)80179-7
- Tan ML, Choong PF, Dass CR (2009). Review: Doxorubicin delivery systems based on chitosan for cancer therapy. J Pharm Pharmacol, 61, 131-42. https://doi.org/10.1211/jpp.61.02.0001
- Tewey KM, Rowe TC, Yang L, et al (1984). Adriamycin induced DNA damage mediated by mammalian DNA topoisomerase II. Science, 226, 466-8. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.6093249
- Wang SY, Wei YH, Shieh DB, et al (2015). 2-Deoxy-d-Glucose can complement doxorubicin and sorafenib to suppress the growth of papillary thyroid carcinoma cells. PLoS One, 10, 130959.
- Zhang F, Aft RL (2009). Chemosensitizing and cytotixic effect of 2-deoxy-D-glucose on breast cancer cells. J Cancer Res Ther, 5, 41-3.
- Zhuang HQ, Wang J, Yuan ZY, et al (2009). The drug-resistance to gefitinib in PTEN low expression cancer cells is reversed by irradiation in vitro. J Exp Clin Cancer Res, 28, 123. https://doi.org/10.1186/1756-9966-28-123
- Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase regulatory subunit 1 and phosphatase and tensin homolog as therapeutic targets in breast cancer vol.39, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1010428317695529
- Metabolic Portraits of Breast Cancer by HR MAS MR Spectroscopy of Intact Tissue Samples vol.7, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/metabo7020018