- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Treatment of Oral Leukoplakia with Diode Laser: a Pilot Study on Indian Subjects
- Kharadi, Usama A Rashid (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital) ;
- Onkar, Sanjeev (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital) ;
- Birangane, Rajendra (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital) ;
- Chaudhari, Swapnali (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital) ;
- Kulkarni, Abhay (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital) ;
- Chaudhari, Rohan (Dentistry, Oral Medicine & Radiology, P.D.U Dental College And Hospital)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Background: To evaluate the safety, convenience and effectiveness of 940nm diode laser for treatment of homogenous leukoplakia. Materials and Methods: Ten patients having homogenous leukoplakia which were diagnosed clinically were selected from an Indian dental educational institution for the study. Toludine blue staining was applied locally over the lesion. The area where there was increased uptake of stain was excised using a 940 nm EZLASE TM diode laser (BIOLASE-USA). Results: Although various treatment modalities have been tried and the search continues for novel treatment modalities for complete removal of homogenous leukoplakia, from results of our preliminary pilot study it is clear that the use of 940 nm diode laser as a treatment modality for homogenous leukoplakia is a good substitute. Healing was perfect without any complication within a duration of 1 month. Pain intensity was also mild and absolutely zero on the VAS scale after 1 month follow up. Conclusions: 940 nm diode lasers are safe and can be effectively used as a treatment modality of homogenous leukoplakia, without any complication and without compromising health and oral function of patients. Considering recurrence factor, long term follow up for patients is a must.
940 nm diode laser;homogenous leukoplakia;surgical treatment
- Garcia M, Jemal A, Ward EM, et al (2007). Global cancer facts and figures 2007. American Cancer Society.
- Goharkhay K, Moritz A, Wilder-Smith P, et al (1999). Effects on Oral Soft Tissue Produced by a Diode Laser In Vitro. Lasers Surg Med, 25, 401-6. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9101(1999)25:5<401::AID-LSM6>3.0.CO;2-U
- Ishii J, Fujita K, Komori T (2003). Laser surgery as a treatment for oral leukoplakia. Oral Oncol, 39, 759-69. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(03)00043-5
- Kruti A Shah, Hemal R Brahmkshatriya, Rushit J Patel, Mansi H Brahmkshatriya (2014). Clinical and histopathological evaluation of healing after excision of leukoplakia with diode laser-research article. Adv Hum Biol, 4, 45-49.
- Brad W, Neville (2002). Oral cancer and precancerous lesions. CA Cancer J Clin, 52, 195-215. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.52.4.195
- Fedele S (2009). Diagnostic aids in the screening of oral cancer. Head Neck Oncol, 1, 5-11. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-3284-1-5
- Marek VIK, Roman Smucle (2013). The efficacy of diode laser removal of leukoplakias on the tongue and in lower buccal cavity compared to other buccal cavity locations-A two-year study. Central Eur J Med, 8, 192-203.
- Nihat Akbulut, Sebnem Kursun E, Ugur Gulsen (2013). Is the 810‑nm diode laser the best choice in oral soft tissue therapy? Eur J Dentistry, 7, 207-211. https://doi.org/10.4103/1305-7456.110174
- Reibel J (2003). Prognosis of oral pre-malignant lesions: significance of clinical, histopathological, and molecular biological characteristics. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med, 14, 47-62. https://doi.org/10.1177/154411130301400105
- Rohit Malik, LK Chatra (2011). Laser an inevitable tool in modern dentistry: An overview. J Indian Acad Oral Med Radiol, 23, 603-8. https://doi.org/10.5005/jp-journals-10011-1231
- Sahar-Helft S (2009). The laser technology in dentistry. Refuat Hapeh Vehashinayim, 26, 12.
- Tatu R, Shah K, Palan S, et al (2013). Laser excision of labial leukoplakia with diode laser: A case report. Indian J Res Reports Med Sci, 3, 64-66.
- Warnakulasuriya S, Newell W, Van der Waal I, et al (2007). Nomenclature and classification of potentially malignant disorders of the oral mucosa. J Oral Pathol Med, 36, 575-80. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2007.00582.x