- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Breast Cancer in Lopburi, a Province in Central Thailand: Analysis of 2001-2010 Incidence and Future Trends
- Sangkittipaiboon, Somphob (Lopburi Cancer Hospital) ;
- Leklob, Atit (Lopburi Cancer Hospital) ;
- Sriplung, Hutcha (Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University) ;
- Bilheem, Surichai (Epidemiology Unit, Faculty of Medicine, Prince of Songkla University)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Background: Thailand has come to an epidemiologic transition with decreasing infectious diseases and increasing burden of chronic conditions, including cancer. Breast cancer has the highest incidence rates among females throughout Thailand. This study aimed to identify the current burden and the future trends of breast cancer of Lopburi, a province in the Central Thailand. Materials and Methods: We used cancer incidence data from the Lopburi Cancer Registry to characterize and analyze the incidence of breast cancer in Central Thailand. With joinpoint and age-period-cohort analyses, the incidence of breast cancer in the province from 2001 to 2010 and project future trends from 2011 to 2030 was investigated. Results: Age-adjusted incidence rates of breast cancer in Lopburi increased from 23.4 to 34.3 cases per 100,000 female population during the period, equivalent to an annual percentage change of 4.3% per year. Both period and cohort effects played a role in shaping the increase in incidence. Joinpoint projection suggested that incidence rates would continue to increase in the future with incidence for women ages 50 years and above increasing at a higher rate than for women below the age of 50. Conclusions: The current situation where early detection measures are being promoted could increase detection rates of the disease. Preparation of sufficient budget for treatment facilities and human resources, both in surgical and medical oncology, is essential for future medical care.
- Althuis MD (2005). Global trends in breast cancer incidence and mortality 1973-1997. Int J Epidemiol, 34, 405-12. https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyh414
- Anderson DE (1974). Genetic study of breast cancer: identification of a high risk group. Cancer, 34, 1090-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(197410)34:4<1090::AID-CNCR2820340419>3.0.CO;2-J
- Bouchardy C, Morabia A, Verkooijen HM, et al (2006). Remarkable change in age-specific breast cancer incidence in the Swiss canton of Geneva and its possible relation with the use of hormone replacement therapy. BMC Cancer, 6, 78. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-78
- Carstensen B (2012). Statistical Analysis in the Lexis Diagram: Age-Period-Cohort Models. Gentofte, Denmark: Steno Diabetes Center.
- Carstensen B, Plummer M, Laara E, Hills M (2013). Epi: a package for statistical analysis in epidemiology, R package version 1.1.49, CRAN.
- CI5I-X (n.d.). URL http://ci5.iarc.fr/CI5I-X/old/table4.asp?registry=8402499&female=2&volume=1020032007&submit=Execute (accessed 5.8.15).
- Cui X, Dai Q, Tseng M, Shu X-O, Gao Y-T, Zheng W (2007). Dietary patterns and breast cancer risk in the shanghai breast cancer study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev, 16, 1443-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-07-0059
- Deerassamee S, Martin N, Sontipong S, et al (eds) (1999). Cancer in Thailand vol. II, 1992-1994. IARC Technical Report No. 34, Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- De Waard F, Baanders-Vanhalewijn EA, Huizinga J (1964). The bimodal age distribution of patients with mammary carcinoma; evidence for the existence of 2 types of human breast cancer. Cancer, 17, 141-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(196402)17:2<141::AID-CNCR2820170202>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Doll R (1976). Comparison between Registries. Age-Standardized Rates, in: Waterhouse JAH, Muir CS, Correa P, Powell J (eds.), Cancer Incidence in Five Continents, Vol. III. IARC Scientific Publications No. 15. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, pp. 453-459.
- Fan L, Zheng Y, Yu K-D, et al (2009). Breast cancer in a transitional society over 18 years: trends and present status in Shanghai, China. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 117, 409-416. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-008-0303-z
- Globocan 2012-Home (n.d.). URL http://globocan.iarc.fr/Default.aspx (accessed 4.8.15).
- Henderson KD, Bernstein L, Henderson B, Kolonel L, Pike MC (2008). Predictors of the timing of natural menopause in the Multiethnic Cohort Study. Am J Epidemiol, 167, 1287-94. https://doi.org/10.1093/aje/kwn046
- National Cancer Institute (2013). Joinpoint Regression Program, Version 4.0.4, Statistical methodology and applications branch. Surveillance Research Program, National Cancer Institute. from https://surveillance.cancer.gov/joinpoint/download (accessed 5.6.13)
- Khuhaprema T, Attasara P, Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sangrajrang S (eds.) (2013). Cancer in Thailand. Vol VII, 2007-2009. Bangkok, Thailand: National Cancer Institute.
- Khuhaprema T, Attasara P, Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sumitsawan Y, Sangrajrang S (eds.) (2012). Cancer in Thailand. Vol VI, 2004-2006. Bangkok, Thailand: National Cancer Institute.
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Attasara P, Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sumitsawan Y (eds.) (2010). Cancer in Thailand. Vol V, 2001-2003. Bangkok, Thailand: National Cancer Institute.
- Khuhaprema T, Srivatanakul P, Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sumitsawan Y, Attasara P (eds.) (2007). Cancer in Thailand. Vol IV, 1998-2000. Bangkok, Thailand: Bangkok Medical Publisher.
- Kim HJ, Fay MP, Feuer EJ, Midthune DN (2000). Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer rates. Stat Med, 19, 335-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0258(20000215)19:3<335::AID-SIM336>3.0.CO;2-Z
- Kruk J (2007). Association of lifestyle and other risk factors with breast cancer according to menopausal status: a case-control study in the Region of Western Pomerania (Poland). Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 513-24.
- Layde PM, Webster LA, Baughman AL, et al (1989). The independent associations of parity, age at first full term pregnancy, and duration of breastfeeding with the risk of breast cancer. J Clin Epidemiol, 42, 963-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(89)90161-3
- Leong SPL, Shen Z-Z, Liu T-J, et al (2010). Is breast cancer the same disease in Asian and Western countries? World J Surg, 34, 2308-24. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-010-0683-1
- Lopburi Province-Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (n.d.). URL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lopburi_Province (accessed 4.9.15).
- Mistry M, Parkin DM, Ahmad AS, Sasieni P. (2011) Cancer incidence in the United Kingdom: projections to the year 2030. Br J Cancer, 105, 1795-803. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.430
- National Statistical Office (2012). 2010 Population and Housing Census. Bangkok, Thailand: National Statistical Office.
- National Statistical Office (2011). Population Census, 2010, Lopburi. Bangkok, Thailand: National Statistical Office.
- National Statistical Office (2002). 2000 Population and Housing Census. Bangkok, Thailand: National Statistical Office.
- National Statistical Office (1992). Advance Report: 1990 Population and Housing Census. Bangkok, Thailand: National Statistical Office.
- Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board (2013). Population Projections for Thailand 2010-2040. Bangkok, Thailand: Office of the National Economic and Social Development Board.
- R Core Team (2014). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. Vianna, Austria: R Core Team.
- Segi M (1960). Cancer mortality for selected sites in 24 countries (1950-57). Sendai, Japan: Department of Public Health, Tohoku University of Medicine.
- Shin H-R, Joubert C, Boniol M, et al (2010). Recent trends and patterns in breast cancer incidence among Eastern and Southeastern Asian women. Cancer Causes Control, 21, 1777-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9604-8
- Sriplung H, Sontipong S, Martin N, et al (eds.) (2003). Cancer in Thailand. Vol III, 1995-1997. Bangkok, Thailand: Bangkok Medical Publisher.
- Sriplung H, Wiangnon S, Sontipong S, Sumitsawan Y, Martin N (2006). Cancer incidence trends in Thailand, 1989-2000. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 7, 239-44.
- Thomas F, Renaud F, Benefice E, de Meeus T, Guegan JF (2001). International variability of ages at menarche and menopause: patterns and main determinants. Hum Biol, 73, 271-290. https://doi.org/10.1353/hub.2001.0029
- Vatanasapt V, Martin N, Sriplung H, et al (1995). Cancer incidence in Thailand, 1988-1991. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev, 4, 475-83.
- Virani S, Sriplung H, Rozek LS, Meza R (2014). Escalating burden of breast cancer in southern Thailand: analysis of 1990-2010 incidence and prediction of future trends. Cancer Epidemiol, 38, 235-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2014.03.003
- National and Subnational Population-Based Incidence of Cancer in Thailand: Assessing Cancers with the Highest Burdens vol.9, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers9080108
- Systematic review of the use of big data to improve surgery in low- and middle-income countries vol.106, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.11052