- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Oral non Squamous Cell Malignant Tumors in an Iranian Population: a 43 year Evaluation
- Mohtasham, Nooshin (Oral and Maxillofacial Disease Research center, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Saghravanian, Nasrollah (Oral and Maxillofacial Disease Research center, Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Goli, Maryam (School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Kadeh, Hamideh (Oral & Dental Disease Research Center, Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology, School of Dentistry, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Background: The prevalence of non-squamous cell malignant tumors of the oral cavity has not been evaluated in Iran extensively. The aim of this study was to evaluate epidemiological aspects of the oral malignancies with non-squamous cell origin during a 43-year period in the Faculty of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Materials and Methods: In this retrospective study, the records of all patients referred to dental school of Mashhad university of medical sciences in northeast of Iran, during the period 1971-2013 were evaluated. All confirmed samples of oral non squamous cell malignant tumors were included in this study. Demographic information including age, gender and location of the lesions were extracted from patient's records. Data were analyzed using SPSS statistical soft ware, Chi-square and Fisher's exact tests. Results: Among 11,126 patients, 188 (1.68%) non squamous cell malignant tumors were found, with mean age of 39.9 years ranging from 2 to 92 years. The most common tumors were mucoepidermoid carcinoma (33 cases) and lymphoma (32 cases). Non squamous cell malignant tumors occurred almost equally in men (94 cases) and women (93 cases). Most (134 cases) of them were located peripherally with high frequency in salivary glands (89 cases) and 52 cases were centrally with high frequency in the mandible (38 cases). Conclusions: More findings in this survey were similar to those reported from other studies with differences in some cases; it may be due to variation in the sample size, geographic and racial differences in tumors.
- Aminzadeh A, Motaghi A, Mohammadi E (2013). Epidemiologic study of oral and paraoral malignancies in one cancer referral center in Isfahan during a 5-year period. J Isfahan Dental School, 8, 560-66.
- Ansari M (2002). A 13 years statistical evaluation on maxillofacial malignant tumors in Hamedan. J Dental Med, 15, 103-8.
- Aydil U, Kizil Y, Bakkal FK, et al (2014). Neoplasms of the Hard Palate. J Oral Maxillofacial Surgery, 72, 619-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joms.2013.08.019
- Bennetta J, Thomasa G, Evansb A, et al (2000). Osteosarcoma of the jaws: a 30-year retrospective review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod, 90, 323-33. https://doi.org/10.1067/moe.2000.108274
- Daley T, Darling M (2003). Nonsquamous cell malignant tumours of the oral cavity: an overview. J (Canadian Dental Association), 69, 577-82.
- Delavarian Z, Pakfetrat A, Mahmoudi S (2009). Five years retrospective study of oral and maxillofacial malignancies in patients referred to oral medicine department of mashhad dental school-Iran. J Mash Dent Sch, 33, 129-38.
- Formosa J, Jenner R, Nguyen-Thi M-D, et al (2015). Awareness and knowledge of oral cancer and potentially malignant oral disorders among dental patients in far north queensland, Australia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4429. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.10.4429
- Gawande M, Swastika N, Chaudhary M, et al (2014). Chondrosarcoma of maxilla. J Oral Maxillofacial Pathol, 18, 423. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-029X.151338
- Junior AT, de Abreu Alves F, Pinto CAL, et al (2003). Clinicopathological and immunohistochemical analysis of twenty-five head and neck osteosarcomas. Oral oncol, 39, 521-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(03)00017-4
- Kara MI, Goze F, Ezirganli S, et al (2010). Neoplasms of the salivary glands in a Turkish adult population. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal, 15, 880-5.
- Khalili M, Eshghyar N, Ensani F, Shakib PA (2012). Synovial sarcoma of the mandible. J Res Med Sci, 17, 1082.
- Le Treut C, Rome A, Cassagneau P, et al (2013). Rhabdomyosarcoma of Stensen's Duct in Children. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol, 122, 382-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/000348941312200607
- Luna-Ortiz K, Guemes-Meza An, Villavicencio-Valencia V, et al (2004). Lip cancer experience in Mexico. An 11-year retrospective study. Oral oncol, 40, 992-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2004.04.013
- Mahmoudi FP-A, Torab A, Piri R, et al (2015). Epidemiology of oral cancer in Iran: a systematic review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5427-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5427
- Pardis S, Karandish M, Lavaee-Mashadi F (2012). The clinicopothologic study of benign and malignant lesions of salivary glands in patients attending Shiraz dental school in 15 years. Zahedan J Rese Med Sci, 13, 52-5.
- Rad M, Chamani G, Zarei M, et al (2010). Epidemiological aspects of head and neck cancers in a group of iranian population. J Dent, 10, 50-6.
- Rahrotaban S, Masoomi P, Moradi M, et al (2010). Frequency of salivary gland tumors in two referral center of qazvin university of medical sciences from 1999 to 2009. J Res Dental Sci, 7, 1-5.
- Razavi SM, Tahani B, Nouri S, et al (2015). Oral cancer knowledge and practice among dental patients and their attitude towards tobacco cessation in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 5439. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.13.5439
- Rizzitelli A, Smoll NR, Chae MP, et al (2015). Incidence and overall survival of malignant ameloblastoma. PloS one, 10, 117789.
- Rodu B, Cole P (2007). Oral cavity and pharynx-throat cancer in the United States, 1973-2003. Oral Surg Oral MedOral Pathol Oral Radiol Endodontol, 104, 653-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tripleo.2007.03.011
- Saki N, Nikakhlagh S (2004). overview of a 15 year experience with benign and malignant tumors of submandibular gland. Iran J Otorhinol, 36, 39-43.
- Shenoi R, Devrukhkar V, Sharma B, et al (2012). Demographic and clinical profile of oral squamous cell carcinoma patients: a retrospective study. Indian J Cancer, 49, 21. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.98910
- Zarei M, Chamani G, Hashemipoor M, et al (2007). An epidemiologic study of oral and pharyngeal nonsquamous cell malignant tumors in kerman province, Iran. J Dent Tehran University Med Sci, 4, 37-42.