- Volume 16 Issue 18
DOI QR Code
Back Massage to Decrease State Anxiety, Cortisol Level, Blood Prsessure, Heart Rate and Increase Sleep Quality in Family Caregivers of Patients with Cancer: A Randomised Controlled Trial
- Pinar, Rukiye (Nursing, Faculty of Health Sciences, Selahaddin Eyyubi University) ;
- Afsar, Fisun (Research and Training Hospital, Istanbul Medeniyet University)
- Published : 2016.01.11
Background: The objective of this study was to evaluate the effect of back massage on the anxiety state, cortisol level, systolic/diastolic blood pressure, pulse rate, and sleep quality in family caregivers of patients with cancer. Materials and Methods: Forty-four family caregivers were randomly assigned to either the experimental or control group (22 interventions, 22 controls) after they were matched on age and gender. The intervention consisted of back massage for 15 minutes per day for a week. Main research outcomes were measured at baseline (day I) and follow-up (day 7). Unpaired t-test, paired t test and chi-square test were used to analyse data. Results: The majority of the caregivers were women, married, secondary school educated and housewife. State anxiety (p<0.001), cortisol level (p<0.05), systolic/diastolic blood pressure (p<0.001, p<0.01 respectively), and pulse rate (p<0.01) were significantly decreased, and sleep quality (p<0.001) increased after back massage intervention. Conclusions: The study results show that family caregivers for patients with cancer can benefit from back massage to improve state anxiety, cortisol level, blood pressure and heart rate, and sleep quality. Oncology nurses can take advantage of back massage, which is non-pharmacologic and easily implemented method, as an independent nursing action to support caregivers for patients with cancer.
- Agargun MY, Kara H, Anlar O (1996). Validity and reliability of pittsburgh sleep quality index. Turk Psikiyatri Derg, 7, 107-15.
- Butow PN, Price MA, Bell ML, et al (2014). Caring for women with ovarian cancer in the last year of life: a longitudinal study of caregiver quality of life, distress and unmet needs. Gynecol Oncol, 132, 690-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2014.01.002
- Buysse DJ, Reynolds CF, Monk TH, et al (1989). The pittsburgh sleep quality index: a new instrument for psychiatric practice and research. Psychiatry Res, 28, 193-213. https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-1781(89)90047-4
- Carter PA, Acton GJ (2006). Personality and coping: predictors of depression and sleep problems among caregivers of individuals who have cancer. J Gerontol Nurs, 32, 45-53. https://doi.org/10.3928/0098-9134-20060201-11
- Chen WL, Liu GJ, Yeh SH, et al (2013). Effect of back massage intervention on anxiety, comfort, and physiologic responses in patients with congestive heart failure. J Altern Complement Med, 19, 464-70. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2011.0873
- Cora A, Partinico M, Munafo M, Palomba D (2012). Health risk factors in caregivers of terminal cancer patients: a pilot study. Cancer Nurs, 35, 38-47. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e31820d0c23
- Engen DJ, Wahner-Roedler DL, Vincent A, et al (2012). Feasibility and effect of chair massage offered to nurses during work hours on stress-related symptoms: a pilot study. Complement Ther Clin Pract, 18, 212-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2012.06.002
- Field T, Hernandez-Reif M, Diego M, Schanberg S, Kuhn C (2005). Cortisol decreases and serotonin and dopamine increase following massage therapy. Int J Neurosci, 115, 1397-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207450590956459
- Given B, Sherwood PR (2006). Family care for the older person with cancer. Semin Oncol Nurs, 22, 43-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2005.10.006
- Goodfellow LM (2003). The effects of therapeutic back massage on psychophysiologic variables and immune function in spouses of patients with cancer. Nurs Res, 52, 318-28. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200309000-00006
- Harris M, Richards KC (2010). The physiological and psychological effects of slow-stroke back massage and hand massage on relaxation in older people. J Clin Nurs, 19, 917-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03165.x
- Iwasaki M (2005). Intervational study on fatigue relief in mothers caring for hospitalized children: effect of massage incorporating techniques from oriental medicine. Kurume J Med, 52, 19-27. https://doi.org/10.2739/kurumemedj.52.19
- Kunikata H, Watanabe K, Miyoshi M, Tanioka T (2012). The effects measurement of hand massage by the autonomic activity and psychological indicators. J Med Invest, 59, 206-12. https://doi.org/10.2152/jmi.59.206
- Lambert SD, Girgis A, Lecathelinais C, Stacey F (2013). Walking a mile in their shoes: anxiety and depression among partners and caregivers of cancer survivors at 6 and 12 months postdiagnosis. Support Care Cancer, 21, 75-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-012-1495-7
- Lengacher CA, Kip KE, Barta M, et al (2012). A pilot study evaluating the effect of mindfulness-based stress reduction on psychological status, physical status, salivary cortisol, and interleukin-6 among advanced-stage cancer patients and their caregivers. J Holist Nurs, 30, 170-85. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010111435949
- Li Q, Loke AY (2013). A spectrum of hidden morbidities among spousal caregivers for patients with cancer, and differences between the genders: a review of the literature. Eur J Oncol Nurs, 17, 578-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejon.2013.01.007
- Liao IC, Chen SL, Wang MY, Tsai PS. (2014). Effects of massage on blood pressure in patients with hypertension and prehypertension: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Cardiovasc Nurs, [Epub ahead of print]
- Lund L, Ross L, Petersen MA, Groenvold M (2014). Cancer caregiving tasks and consequences and their associations with caregiver status and the caregiver's relationship to the patient: a survey. BMC Cancer, 14, 541. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-541
- MacDonald G (1998). Massage as a respite intervention for primary caregivers. Am J Hosp Palliat Care, 15, 43-7. https://doi.org/10.1177/104990919801500109
- Mackereth P, Sylt P, Weinberg A, Campbell G (2005). Chair massage for carers in an acute cancer hospital. EJON, 9, 167-79.
- Mitchell AJ, Ferguson DW, Gill J, Paul J, Symonds P (2013). Depression and anxiety in long-term cancer survivors compared with spouses and healthy controls: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Oncol, 14, 721-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(13)70244-4
- Morris BA, Thorndike FP, Ritterband LM, et al (2015). Sleep disturbance in cancer patients and caregivers who contact telephone-based help services. Support Cancer Care, 23, 113-20.
- Moyer CA, Rounds J, Hannum JW (2004). A meta-analysis of massage therapy research. Psychol Bull, 130, 3-18. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.130.1.3
- Moyer CA, Seefeldt L, Mann ES, Jackley LM (2011). Does massage therapy reduce cortisol? a comprehensive quantitative review. J Bodyw Mov Ther, 15, 3-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbmt.2010.06.001
- Northouse L, Williams AL, Given B, McCorkle R (2012). Psychosocial care for family caregivers of patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1227-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5798
- Noto Y, Kudo M, Hirota K (2010). Back massage therapy promotes psychological relaxation and an increase in salivary chromogranin A release. J Anesth, 24, 955-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-010-1001-7
- Oucki Y, Kanno T, Okada H, et al (2006). Changes in cerebral blood flow under the prone condition with and without massage. Neurosci Lett, 407, 131-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neulet.2006.08.037
- Oner N, Le Compte A (1985). The Handbook for State-trait Anxiety Inventory. Istanbul: Bosphorus University Publications, No: 333.
- Palos GR, Mendoza TR, Liao KP, et al (2011). Caregiver symptom burden: the risk of caring for an underserved patient with advanced cancer. Cancer, 117, 1070-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.25695
- Perlis N, Krahn M, Alibhai S, et al (2014). Conceptualizing global health-related quality of life in bladder cancer. Qual Life Res, 23, 2153-67. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-014-0685-9
- Pollock EA, Litzelman K, Wisk LE, Witt WP (2013). Correlates of physiological and psychological stress among parents of childhood cancer and brain tumor survivors. Acad Pediatr, 13, 105-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acap.2012.11.005
- Rexilius SJ, Mundt C, Erickson-Megel M, Agrawal S (2002). Therapeutic effects of massage therapy and handling touch on caregivers of patients undergoing autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant. Oncol Nurs Forum, 29, 35-44. https://doi.org/10.1188/02.ONF.E35-E44
- Spielberger CD, Gorsuch RL, Lushene R, Vagg PR, Jacobs GA (1983). Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press.
- Stenberg U, Ruland CM, Miaskowski C (2010). Review of the literature on the effects of caring for a patient with cancer. Psychooncol, 19, 1013-25.
- Supa'at I, Zakaria Z, Maskon O, Aminuddin A, Nordin NA (2013). Effects of Swedish massage therapy on blood pressure, heart rate, and inflammatory markers in hypertensive women. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med, 2013; 171852.
- Tamayo GJ, Broxson A, Munsell M, Cohen MZ (2010). Caring for the caregiver. Oncol Nurs Forum, 37, E50-7. https://doi.org/10.1188/10.ONF.E50-E57
- Turkoglu N, Kilic D (2012). Effects of care burdens of caregivers of cancer patients on their quality of life. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 4141-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.4141
- Usta Yesilbalkan O, Ozkutuk N, Ardahan M (2010). Comparison quality of life of Turkish cancer patients and their family caregivers. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1575-9.
- Xiong XJ, Li SJ, Zhang YQ (2015). Massage therapy for essential hypertension: a systematic review. J Hum Hypertens, 29, 143-51. https://doi.org/10.1038/jhh.2014.52
- Wasner M, Paal P, Borasio GD (2013). Psychosocial care for the caregivers of primary malignant brain tumor patients. J Soc Work End Life Palliat Care, 9, 74-95. https://doi.org/10.1080/15524256.2012.758605
- Wilkinson S, Barnes K, Storey L (2008). Massage for symptom relief in patients with cancer: systematic review. J Adv Nurs, 63, 430-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04712.x
- Zhu P, Fu JF, Wang B, et al (2014). Quality of life of male spouse caregivers for breast cancer patients in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4181-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4181
- The Role of Biomarkers in Research on Caregivers for Cancer Patients: A Scoping Review vol.20, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1177/1099800417740970
- The effect of therapeutic listening on anxiety and fear among surgical patients: randomized controlled trial vol.26, pp.0, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/1518-8345.2438.3027
- Identifying and Addressing Family Caregiver Anxiety vol.21, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1097/NJH.0000000000000489
- Neurophysiology of human touch and eye gaze in therapeutic relationships and healing vol.17, pp.2, 2019, https://doi.org/10.11124/JBISRIR-2017-003549