- Volume 53 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A OSPF Routing Scheme based on Energy Profiles and Its Characteristics for QoS-Aware Energy Saving(QAES) in IP Core Networks
IP 네트워크에서 QoS-Aware Energy Saving(QAES)을 위한 Energy Profile 기반 OSPF 라우팅 방식 및 특성
- Seo, Yusik (Depertment of Electronics Engineering, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies) ;
- Han, Chimoon (Depertment of Electronics Engineering, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies)
- Received : 2015.11.10
- Accepted : 2015.12.30
- Published : 2016.01.25
Nowadays various methods for energy saving have been studied in IP networks. This paper suggests a 2-phase OSPF routing method for energy saving on IP networks having various energy profiles and analyzes its characteristics. The phase-1 of the routing is an OSPF routing method considering the energy cost of devices besides existing metrics to minimize energy consumption. In the phase-2 of the routing, it makes core nodes go into sleep sate for energy saving and reroutes the paths affected by sleeping core nodes. At this time, we confirm that the characteristics of mean delay and energy efficiency can be satisfied by limiting an allowable hop number in the reroute paths, and utilization rate of nodes and links for assuring energy saving and network-level QoS. Since the efficiency of energy saving and delay characteristics differ according to selection methods of core nodes to go into sleep state, it is that the a method of core node selection based on MP(minimum_path) is more excellent than others in terms of network-level QoS and energy saving in IP networks.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- C. Despins, et al., Leveraging Green Communications for Carbon Emission Reductions: Techniques, Testbeds, and Emerging Carbon Footprint Standards, IEEE Commu. Mag., Vol.49, no.8, pp. 101-109, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2011.5978422
- Smart 2020, Enabling the Low-Carbon Economy in the Information Age, The Climate Group, London, U.K., 2008. (http://www.smart2020.org).
- Diego Reforgiato Recupero, "Toward a green Internet," Science, vol. 339, no. 1533, March 2013.
- J. Restrepo, C. Gruber, and C. Machuca, "Energy Profile Aware Routing," in First International Workshop on Green Communications, June 2009.
- Rosario G. Garroppo, Stefano Giordano, Gianfranco Neucioni, and Michele Pagano, "Energy Aware Routing based on Energy Characterization of Devices: Solutions and Analysis," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Communications Workshops(ICC), June, 2011.
- Bianzino A.P., Chaudet C., Larroca F., Rossi D. and Rougier J., "Energy-aware routing in IP networks: A reality check," IEEE, GLOBECOM Workshops, December, 2010.
- Sergiu Nedevschi, Lucian Popa, Gianluca Iannaccone, Sylvia Ratnasamy and David Wetherall, "Reducing Network Energy Consumption via Sleeping and Rate-Adaptation," NSDI '08: 5th USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design USENIX Association and Implementation, pp. 323-336, 2008.
- Chimoon Han, "Adaptive Buffer and Burst Scheme and Its Characteristics for Energy Saving in Core IP Networks," Jouranl of IEEK, pp. 34-42, Vol. 49, No.10, October, 2012.
- Antonio Cianfrani, Vincenzo Eramo, et al., "An OSPF - Integrated Routing Strategy for QoSAware Energy Saving in IP Backbone Networks," IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, March 2012.
- Yusik Seo, Chimoon Han "Energy Saving Characteristics of OSPF Routing based on Energy Profiles," Journal of KICS, pp 1296-1308, vol.40, No.07, July, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7840/kics.2015.40.7.1296