- Volume 29 Issue 2
The aim of this study was to evaluate the potential of natural humectants such as honey and rice syrup to replace sorbitol in the production of restructured duck jerky. Each humectant was mixed at 3%, 6%, and 10% (wt/wt) concentrations with the marinating solution. The values of water activity and the moisture-to-protein ratio of all of the samples were maintained below 0.75. Jerky samples treated with honey retained more moisture than those exposed to other treatments. Among all samples, those treated with 10% sorbitol produced the highest processing yield and the lowest shear force values. The highest
Honey;Rice Syrup;Sorbitol;Restructured Duck Jerky
- Kim, Y. J., K. E. Hwang, F. Y. He, and C. J. Kim. 2014. Effect ofdifferent drying conditions on quality characteristics ofrestructured duck tender jerky. In: Proceedings of the 2014International Conference on Food and Nutrition Technology,Singapore, Singapore. pp. 36-40.
- Antony, S., J. R. Rieck, and P. L. Dawson. 2000. Effect of dry honey on oxidation in turkey breast meat. Poult. Sci. 79:1846- 1850. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.12.1846
- AOAC. 2007. Official Methods of Analysis. 18th Ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC.
- Banwart, G. 1989. Basic Food Microbiology. 2nd Ed. AVI Publishing Company Inc., Westport, CT, USA.
- Bertoncelj, J., U. Dobersek, M. Jamnik, and T. Golob. 2007. Evaluation of the phenolic content, antioxidant activity and colour of Slovenian honey. Food Chem. 105:822-828. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.01.060
- Borneman, D. L., S. C. Ingham, and C. Ane. 2009. Predicting growth-no growth of Staphylococcus aureus on vacuumpackaged ready-to-eat meats. J. Food Prot. 72:539-548. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2008.12.008
- Brewer, M. S., J. Jensen, A. A. Sosnicki, B. Fields, E. Wilson, and F. K. McKeith. 2002. The effect of pig genetics on palatability, color and physical characteristics of fresh pork loin chops. Meat Sci. 61:249-256. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00190-5
- Chang, S. F., T. C. Huang, and A. M. Pearson. 1996. Control of the dehydration process in production of intermediate-moisture meat products: a review. Adv. Food Nutr. Res. 39:71-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1043-4526(08)60074-1
- Cho, E. J. and J. E. Lee. 2000. The Effect of addition of kinds of sugar and drying method on quality and storage characteristics of beef jerky. Korean J. Soc. Food Sci. 16:511-520.
- Culler, R. D., F. C. Parrish, G. C. Smith, and H. R. Cross. 1978. Relationship of myofibril fragmentation index to certain chemical, physical, and sensory characteristics of bovine longissimus muscle. J. Food Sci. 43:1177-1180. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1978.tb15263.x
- Emerton, V. and E. Choi. 2008. Essential Guide to Food Additives. 3rd Ed. Leatherhead Food International Ltd., Surrey, UK.
- FAO. 1996. Value-added products from beekeeping. In: FAO Agricultural Services Bulletin No. 124. http://www.fao.org/ docrep/w0076e/w0076e00.htm. Accessed February 4, 2015.
- FAO. 2015. Meat Consumption. http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/ themes/en/meat/background.html. Accessed April 31, 2015.
- Faucitano, L., P. Y. Chouinard, J. Fortin, I. B. Mandell, C. Lafreniere, C. L. Girard, and R. Berthiaume. 2008. Comparison of alternative beef production systems based on forage finishing or grain-forage diets with or without growth promotants: 2. Meat quality, fatty acid composition, and overall palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1678-1689. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0756
- Gheldof, N. and N. J. Engeseth. 2002. Antioxidant capacity of honeys from various floral sources based on the determination of oxygen radical absorbance capacity and inhibition of in vitro lipoprotein oxidation in human serum samples. Agric. Food Chem. 50:3050-3055. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0114637
- Gleiter, R. A., H. Horn, and H. D. Isengard. 2006. Influence of type and state of crystallisation on the water activity of honey. Food Chem. 96:441-445. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.03.051
- Han, D. J., J. H. Choi, Y. S. Choi, H. Y. Kim, S. Y. Kim, H. W. Kim, H. K. Chung, and C. J. Kim. 2011. Effect of konjac, isolated soy protein, and egg albumin on the quality properties of semi-dried chicken jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 31:183-191. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.2.183
- Hu, X., X. Xu, Z. Jin, Y. Tian, Y. Bai, and Z. Xie. 2011. Retrogradation properties of rice starch gelatinized by heat and high hydrostatic pressure (HHP). J. Food Eng. 106:262-266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2011.05.021
- Jaturasitha, S., T. Srikanchai, M. Kreuzer, and M. Wicke. 2008. Differences in carcass and meat characteristics between chicken indigenous to northern Thailand (black-boned and Thai native) and imported extensive breeds (Bresse and Rhode Island Red). Poult. Sci. 87:160-169. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2006-00398
- Kim, C. J. and E. S. Lee. 2003. Effects of quality grade on the chemical, physical and sensory characteristics of Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) beef. Meat Sci. 63:397-405. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(02)00099-2
- Konieczny, P., J. Stangierski, and J. Kijowski. 2007. Physical and chemical characteristics and acceptability of home style beef jerky. Meat Sci. 76:253-257. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.11.006
- Lee, S. W. and C. S. Kang. 2003. Effects of moisture content and drying temperature on the physicochemical properties of ostrich jerky. Food/Nahrung 47:330-333. https://doi.org/10.1002/food.200390076
- Leistner, L. 1985. Hurdle technology applied to meat products of the shelf stable product and intermediate moisture food types. In: Properties of Water in Foods (Eds. D. Simatos, and J. L. Multon). Springer Netherlands, Netherlands. pp. 309-329.
- Malika, N., F. Mohamed, and E. A. Chakib. 2005. Microbiological and physico-chemical properties of Moroccan honey. Int. J. Agric. Biol. 2:100-104.
- McClure, P. J., M. B. Cole, and J. P. P. M. Smelt. 1994. Effects of water activity and pH on growth of Clostridium botulinum. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 76:105S-114S. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.1994.tb04362.x
- McKibben, J. and N. J. Engeseth. 2002. Honey as a protective agent against lipid oxidation in ground turkey. J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:592-595. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf010820a
- Meilgaard, M., G. Civille, and B. Carr. 1999. Sensory Evaluation Techniques. 2nd Ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA.
- Michio, M., N. Teruhiro, U. Raizaburo, G. Ichiro, and Y. Mamoru. 1987. Humectants improve myosin extractability and water activity of raw, cured intermediate moisture meats. Meat Sci. 20:179-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(87)90010-6
- Nagai, T., R. Inoue, N. Kanamori, N. Suzuki, and T. Nagashima. 2006. Characterization of honey from different floral sources. Its functional properties and effects of honey species on storage of meat. Food Chem. 97:256-262. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.03.045
- Newman, A. W., I. M. Vitez, R. L. Mueller, C. C. Kiesnowski, W. P. Findlay, C. Rodriguez, M. Davidovich, and G. McGeorge. 1999. Sorbitol. In: Analytical Profiles of Drug Substances and Excipients (Ed. G. B. Harry). Academic Press, Milford, NJ, USA. pp. 459-502.
- Ogahara, T., M. Ohno, M. Takayama, K. Igarashi, and H. Kobayashi. 1995. Accumulation of glutamate by osmotically stressed Escherichia coli is dependent on pH. J. Bacteriol. 177: 5987-5990. https://doi.org/10.1128/jb.177.20.5987-5990.1995
- Quinton, R. D., D. P. Cornforth, D. G. Hendricks, C. P. Brennand, and Y. K. Su. 1997. Acceptability and composition of some acidified meat and vegetable stick products. J. Food Sci. 62: 1250-1254. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1997.tb12255.x
- Rajalakshmi, D. and S. Narasimhan. 1996. Food antioxidants: Source and methods of evaluations. In: Food Antioxidants (Eds. D. L. Madhavi, S. S. Deshpande, and D. K. Salunlhe). Marcel Decker Inc., New York, NY, USA. pp. 73-82.
- Sindelar, J. J., M. J. Terns, E. Meyn, and J. A. Boles. 2010. Development of a method to manufacture uncured, nonitrate/ nitrite-added whole muscle jerky. Meat Sci. 86:298-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.04.028
- Sinhuber, R. and T. Yu. 1977. The 2-thiobarbituric acid reaction, an objective measure of the oxidative deterioration occurring in fats and oil. J. Jap. Soc. Fish Sci. 26:259-267.
- SPSS. 2012. Statistical Package for Social Sciences for Windows (version 12.0). SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA.
- Wongwiwat, P. and S. Wattanachant. 2010. Effect of sweeteners on physical attributes and microstructure of sweet-dried chicken meat. In: Proceedings of the 2010 The 3rd International PSUUNS Conferences on Bioscience, Songkhla, Thailand. pp. 67- 70.
- Supplementary effects of higher levels of various disaccharides on processing yield, quality properties and sensory attributes of Chinese - style pork jerky vol.30, pp.12, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0267
- Development of sweet and sour chicken meat spread based on sensory attributes: process optimization using response surface methodology vol.54, pp.13, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2891-2
Supported by : National Research Foundation (NRF)