- Volume 29 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Dry-cured Ham Made from Two Different Three-way Crossbred Pigs
- Yim, Dong-Gyun (Department of Health Administration and Food Hygiene, Jinju Health College) ;
- Hong, Doo-Il (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Sangji University) ;
- Chung, Ku-Young (Department of Animal Science and Biotechnology, Sangji University)
- Received : 2015.03.04
- Accepted : 2015.05.23
- Published : 2016.02.01
This study was conducted to compare the physicochemical traits of dry-cured hams made from two different three-way crossbred pigs: Yorkshire
Crossbred Pig;Dry-cured Ham;Physico-chemical Trait
Supported by : Sangji University
- Andres, A. I., R. Cava, J. Ventanas, V. Thovar, and J. Ruiz. 2004. Sensory characteristics of Iberian ham: Influence of salt content and processing conditions. Meat Sci. 68:45-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.08.019
- AOAC. 2000. Official Methods of Analysis. 17th edn. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Gaithersburg, MD, USA.
- Bourne, M. C. 1978. Texture profile analysis. Food Technol. 32:72.
- Buscailhon, S., C. Touraille, J. P. Girard, and G. Monin. 1995. Relationship between muscle tissue characteristics and sensory quality of dry-cured ham. J. Muscle Foods 6:9-22. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.1995.tb00553.x
- Cava, R., J. Ruiz, J. Ventanas, and T. Antequera. 1999. Oxidative and lipolytic changes during ripening of Iberian hams as affected by feeding regime: Extensive feeding and alphatocopheryl acetate supplementation. Meat Sci. 52:165-172. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00164-8
- Conway, E. J. 1950. Microdiffusion analysis and volumetric error. 3rd ed. Crosby Lockwood and Son Ltd, London, UK.
Fuentes, V., S. Ventanas, J. Ventanas, and M. Estevez. 2014. The genetic background affects composition, oxidative stability and quality traits of Iberian dry-cured hams: purebred Iberian versus reciprocal Iberian
$\times$Duroc crossbred pigs. Meat Sci. 96:737-743. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.10.010
- Hunt, M. C. 1980. Meat color measurements. Proceedings of 33rd Annual Reciprocal Meat Conference, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Jimenez-Colmenero, F., J. Ventanas, and F. Toldra. 2010. Nutritional composition of dry- cured ham and its role in a healthy diet. Meat Sci. 84:585-593. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.029
- Jin, S. K., C. W. Kim, K. H. Chung, K. K. Jo, J. Y. Jeong, I. C. Hur, E. Y. Jung, S. T. Joo, and H. S. Yang. 2012. Physicochemical and sensory properties of irradiated dry-cured ham. Radiat. Phy. Chem. 81:208-215. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.radphyschem.2011.09.017
- Kanner, J., S. Harel, and R. Joffe. 1991. Lipid peroxidation of muscle food as affected by NaCl. J. Agric. Food Chem. 39:1017-1024. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00006a002
- Kim, H. S., H. S. Yang, J. I. Lee, S. T. Joo, J. T. Jeon, and J. G. Lee. 2007. Effects of the mating system on retail cut yield and meat quality in commercial pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49:379-386. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.3.379
- Lee, J. G. and S. T. Joo. 1999. Effects of slaughter weight on backfat thickness, intramuscular fat and physical properties of pork loin from barrow. Korean J. Anim. Sci. 41:207-214.
- Lim, D. G., C. Jo, K. S. Seo, and K. C. Nam. 2014. Comparison of meat quality of loins and butts in different two-way crossbred pigs. Livest. Sci. 161:210-217. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2013.12.015
- Lorenzo, J. M., M. C. G. Fontan, I. Franco, and J. Carballo. 2008. Biochemical characteristics of dry-cured lacon (a Spanish traditional meat product) throughout the manufacture, and sensorial properties of the final product. Effect of some additives. Food Control 19:1148-1158. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2007.12.005
- Marusic, N., M. Petrovic, S. Vidacek, T. Petrak, and H. Medic. 2011. Characterization of traditional Istrian dry-cured ham by means of physical and chemical analyses and volatile compounds. Meat Sci. 88:786-790. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2011.02.033
- Monin, G., P. Marinova, A. Talmant, J. F. Martin, M. Cornet, D. Lanore, and F. Grasso. 1997. Chemical and structural changes in dry-cured hams (Bayonne Hams) during processing and effects of dehairing technique. Meat Sci. 47:29-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00038-7
- Morrissey, P. A., P. J. Sheehy, K. Galvin, J. P. Kerry, and D. J. Buckley. 1998. Lipid stability in meat and meat products. Meat Sci. 49:73-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)90039-0
- Parolari, G. 1996. Review: Achievements, needs and perspectives in dry-cured ham technology: The example of Parma ham. Food Sci. Technol. Int. 2:69-78. https://doi.org/10.1177/108201329600200203
- Ruiz, J., C. Garcia, E. Muriel, A. I. Andres, and J. Ventanas. 2002. Influence of sensory characteristics on the acceptability of drycured ham. Meat Sci. 61:347-354. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00204-2
- Ruiz-Ramirez, J., J. Arnau, X. Serra, and P. Gou. 2006. Effect of pH (24), NaCl content and proteolysis index on the relationship between water content and texture parameters in biceps femoris and semimembranosus muscles in dry-cured ham. Meat Sci. 72:185-194. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.06.016
- Ryoichi, S., T. Degychi, and Y. Nagata. 1993. Effectiveness of the filter paper press methods for determining the water holding capacity of meat. Fleischwirtsch 73:1399.
- SAS Institute Inc. 2002. SAS/STAT Software for PC. Release 6.11. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Sabbioni, A., V. Beretti, A. Zanon, P. Superchi, C. Sussi, and A. Bonomi. 2004. Effect of the proportion of Duroc genes in crosses with Large White and Landrace pigs on the characteristics of seasoned Parma ham. Italian J. Animal Sci. 3:31-39. https://doi.org/10.4081/ijas.2004.31
- Sellier, P. 1998. Genetics of meat and carcass traits. In: The genetics of the pig (Eds. M. F. Rothschild and A. Ruvinski). CAB International, Wallingford, UK. pp. 463-510.
- Seong, P. N., S. H. Cho, J. H. Kim, K. H. Hah, B. Y. Park, D. H. Kim, J. M. Lee, and C. N. Ahn. 2008. Quality attributes of cooked pork hams manufactured with major hind leg muscles and Longissimus dorsi. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28:160-164. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.2.160
- Serra, X., J. Ruiz-Ramirez, J. Arnau, and P. Gou. 2005. Texture parameters of dry-cured ham m. biceps femoris samples dried at different levels as a function of water activity and water content. Meat Sci. 69:249-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.07.004
- Hui, Y. H., L. Meunier-Goddik, A. S. Hansen, J. Josephsen, W. K. Nip, P. S. Stanfield, and F. Toldra. 2004. Handbook of food and beverage fermentation technology. Marcel-Dekker Inc., New York, NY, USA.
Ventanas, S., J. Ventanas, A. Jurado, and M. Estevez. 2006. Quality traits in muscle biceps femoris and back-fat from purebred Iberian and reciprocal Iberian
$\times$Duroc crossbred pigs. Meat Sci. 73:651-659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2006.03.009
- Virgili, R., G. Parolari, C. Schivazappa, C. S. Bordini, and M. Borri. 1995. Sensory and texture quality of dry-cured ham as affected by endogenous cathepsin B activity and muscle composition. J. Food Sci. 60:1183-1186. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1995.tb04551.x
- Witte, V. C. 1970. A new extraction method for determining 2- thiobarbituric acid values of pork. Food Technol. 8:326.
- Zanardi, E., S. Ghidini, M. Conter, and A. Ianieri. 2010. Mineral composition of Italian salami and effect of NaCl partial replacement on compositional, physico-chemical and sensory parameters. Meat Sci. 86:742-747. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.06.015
- Relationship between sensory attributes and volatile compounds of polish dry-cured loin vol.30, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.16.0252
- study vol.32, pp.6, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/joss.12301
- Physicochemical changes of semimembranosus muscle during the processing of dry-cured ham from Celta pig. Effect of crossbreeding with Duroc and Landrace genotypes vol.58, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN16746