- Volume 29 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Gestational Housing on Reproductive Performance and Behavior of Sows with Different Backfat Thickness
- Kim, K.H. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Hosseindoust, A. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Ingale, S.L. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, S.H. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Noh, H.S. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Choi, Y.H. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Jeon, S.M. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Y.H. (Department of Animal Resources Development, Swine Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Chae, B.J. (Department of Animal Resources Science, College of Animal Life Sciences, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2014.12.30
- Accepted : 2015.09.01
- Published : 2016.01.01
The present study investigated the effects of back-fat thickness at d 107 of gestation and housing types during gestation on reproductive performance and behavior of sows. A total of 64 crossbred sows (
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- Aherne, F., G. Foxcroft, and J. E. Pettigrew. 1999. Nutrition of the sow. In: Diseases of Swine. 8th edn (Eds. B. E. Straw, S. D'Allaire, W. L. Mengeling, and D. J. Taylor). Iowa State University Press, Ames, IA, USA. pp. 1029-1043.
- Barbari, M. 2000. Analysis of reproductive performance of sows in relation to housing systems. In: ASAE proceedings, 1st International Conference on Swine Housing. Des Moines, IA, USA. pp. 188-196.
- Bates, R. O., D. B. Edwards, and R. L. Korthals. 2003. Sow performance when housed either in groups with electronic sow feeders or stalls. Livest. Prod. Sci. 79:29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(02)00119-7
- Boyle, L. A. 2005. Reducing aggression in group housed Sows. In: Proceedings of the Teagasc Pig Farmers Conferences Pages, Teagasc Oakpark, Carlow, Ireland. pp. 10-18.
- Boyle, L. A., F. C. Leonard, P. B. Lynch, and P. Brophy. 2000. Influence of housing systems during gestation on the behavior and welfare of gilts in farrowing crates. Anim. Sci. 71:561-570. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800055302
- Calderon Diaz, J. A., A. G. Fahey, and L. A. Boyel. 2014. Effects of gestation housing system and floor type during lactation on locomotory ability; body, lim, and clow legions; and lying-down behavior of lactating sows. J. Anim. Sci. 92:1675-1683. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6279
- Charette, R., M. Bigras-Poulin, and G. Martineau. 1996. Body condition evaluation in sows. Livest. Prod. Sci. 46:107-115. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(96)00022-X
- De Rensis, F., M. Gherpelli, P. Superchi, and R. N. Kirkwood. 2005. Relationships between backfat depth and plasma leptin during lactation and sow reproductive performance after weaning. Anim. Reprod. Sci. 90:95-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anireprosci.2005.01.017
- Den Hartog, L. A., G. B. C. Backus, and H. M. Vermeer. 1993. Evaluation of housing systems for sows. J. Anim. Sci. 71:1339-1344. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7151339x
- Dourmad, J. Y., M. E'tienne, and J. Noblet. 2001. Measuring backfat depth in sows to optimize feeding strategy. Prod Anim, 14(1), 41-50. INRA Prod. Anim. 14:41-50.
- Gunn, H. and R. Friendship. 2003. Gestation sows housing in Ontario. In: Proceedings of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians, Orlando, USA. pp. 61-65.
- Hemsworth, P. H. 1982. Social environment and reproduction. In: Control of Pig Reproduction (Eds. D. J. A. Cole and G. R. Foxcroft), Butterworths, London, UK. pp. 585-601.
- Hemsworth, P. H., M. Rice, J. Nash, K. Giri, K. L. Butler, A. J. Tilbrook, and R. S. Morrison. 2013. Effects of group size and floor space allowance on grouped sows: Aggression, stress, skin injuries, and reproductive performance. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4953-4964. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2012-5807
- Houde, A. A., S. Me'thot, B. D. Murphy, V. Bordignon, and M. F. Pali. 2010. Relationships between backfat thickness and reproductive efficiency of sows: A two-year trial involving two commercial herds fixing backfat thickness at breeding. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 90:429-436. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS09115
- Maes, D. G. D., G. P. J. Janssens, P. Delputte, A. Lammertyn, and A. de Kruif. 2004. Back fat measurements in sows from three commercial pig herds: relationship with reproductive efficiency and correlation with visual body condition scores. Livest. Prod. Sci. 91:57-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livprodsci.2004.06.015
- Martineau, G. P. and C. Klopfenstein. 1996. Body building syndromes in sows (BBS) thin sow syndrome, fat sow syndrome, accordeon sow syndrome. French Swine Research Days, January 30 to February 1, 1996. Paris, France. 28:331-338.
- McGlone, J. J., E. H. von Borrell, J. Deen, A. K. Johnson, D. G. Levis, M. Meunier-Salaun, J. Morrow, D. Reeves, J. L. Salak-Johnson, and P. L. Sundberg. 2004. Review: Compilation of the scientific literature comparing housing systems for gestating sows and gilts using measures of physiology, behavior, performance, and health. Prof. Anim. Sci. 20:105-117.
- McKay, R. M. 1993. Preweaning losses of piglets as a result of index selection for reduced backfat thickness and increased growth rate. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 73:437-442. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas93-046
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th edn. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Rhodes, R. T., M. C. Appleby, K. Chinn, L. Douglas, L. D. Firkins, K. A. Houpt, C. Irwin, J. J. McGlone, P. Sundberg, L. Tokach, and R. W. Wills. 2005. Task Force Report: A comprehensive review of housing for pregnant sows. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 227:1580-1590. https://doi.org/10.2460/javma.2005.227.1580
- Serenius, T., K. J. Stalder, T. J. Baas, J. W. Mabry, R. N. Goodwin, R. K. Johnson, O. W. Robinson, M. Tokach, and R. K. Miller. 2006. National Pork Producers Council Maternal Line National Genetic Evaluation Program: A comparison of sow longevity and trait associations with sow longevity. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2590-2595. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-499
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. 2014. Swine 2012, Part I: Baseline Reference of Swine Health and Management, 2012. National Animal Health Monitoring System. Fort Collins, CO #663.0814.
- Von Borrell, E., D. M. Broom, D. Scermely, A. A. Dijkhuizen, S. Hylkema, S. A. Edwards, P. Jensen, F. Madec, and C. Stamataris. 1997. The welfare of intensively kept pigs. Report of the Scientific Veterinary Committee, European Commission, December 24, 1997. B3.
- Weng, R. C., S. A. Edwards, and L. C. Hsia. 2009a. Effect of individual, group or ESF housing in pregnancy and individual or group housing in lactation on the performance of sows and their piglets. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1328-1333. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80249
- Weng, R. C., S. A. Edwards, and L. C. Hsia. 2009b. Effect of individual, group or ESF housing in pregnancy and individual or group housing in lactation on sow behavior. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1574-1580. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80254
- Whittemore, C. T., J. Y. Dourmad, and M. Ettiene. 1995. Reproduction in primiparous sows nutrition and body condition in relation to productivity. 46th EAAP, Praha Czech Republic, 301.
- Whittemore, C. T. 1996. Nutrition reproduction interactions in primiparous sow: A review. Livest. Prod. Sci. 46:65-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(96)00019-X
- Zaleski, H. M. and R. R. Hacker. 1993. Variables related to the progress of parturition and probability of stillbirth in swine. Can. Vet. J. 34:109-113.
- Zhao, Y., W. L. Flowers, A. Saraiva, K. J. Yeum, and S. W. Kim. 2013. Effect of social ranks and gestation housing systems on oxidative stress status, reproductive performance, and immune status of sows. J. Anim. Sci. 91:5848-5858. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2013-6388
- Effects of dietary energy levels and β-mannanase supplementation in a high mannan-based diet during lactation on reproductive performance, apparent total tract digestibility and milk composition in multiparous sows pp.1828-051X, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2017.1345663
- An overview of hourly rhythm of demand-feeding pattern by a controlled feeding system on productive performance of lactating sows during summer pp.1828-051X, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/1828051X.2018.1438214