- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Extracting Graphics Information for Better Video Compression
- Hong, Kang Woon (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Ryu, Won (Broadcasting & Telecommunications Media Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Choi, Jun Kyun (Department of Electrical Engineering, KAIST) ;
- Lim, Choong-Gyoo (Department of Computer Engineering, Sungkonghoe University)
- Received : 2014.01.31
- Accepted : 2015.06.01
- Published : 2015.08.01
Cloud gaming services are heavily dependent on the efficiency of real-time video streaming technology owing to the limited bandwidths of wire or wireless networks through which consecutive frame images are delivered to gamers. Video compression algorithms typically take advantage of similarities among video frame images or in a single video frame image. This paper presents a method for computing and extracting both graphics information and an object's boundary from consecutive frame images of a game application. The method will allow video compression algorithms to determine the positions and sizes of similar image blocks, which in turn, will help achieve better video compression ratios. The proposed method can be easily implemented using function call interception, a programmable graphics pipeline, and off-screen rendering. It is implemented using the most widely used Direct3D API and applied to a well-known sample application to verify its feasibility and analyze its performance. The proposed method computes various kinds of graphics information with minimal overhead.
Grant : Development of Tele-Experience Service SW Platform based on Giga Media
Supported by : Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning
- E. Sofge, Games without Gizmos, The Wall Street Journal, Nov. 12, 2012. Accessed Dec. 14, 2013. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970203707604578095413928945612
- K.I. Kim et al., "Cloud-Based Gaming Service Platform Supporting Multiple Devices," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 6, Dec. 2013, pp. 960-968. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.2013.0076
- S. Perlman, The Process of Invention: OnLive Video Game Service, lecture, Botwinick Lab, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, Nov. 13, 2009. http://tv.seas.columbia.edu/videos/545/60/79
- D. Perry, GDC 2012: Gaikai CEO David Perry Talks What Gaikai Offers, YouTube video, posted by GamerLiveTV, uploaded Mar. 22, 2012. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lN5E_pgBsU
- P. Bradley, Cloud Gaming: The Pros and Cons, Masonic Gamer, July 23, 2012. Accessed Dec. 14, 2013. http://masonicgamer.com/cloud-gaming-the-pros-and-cons/
- I. Richardson, "H.264 and MPEG-4 Video Compression: Video Coding for Next Generation Multimedia," West Sussex, England: Wiley, 2003.
- D. Hearn, M. Baker, and W. Carithers, "Computer Graphics with OpenGL," 4th ed., NJ, USA: Prentice Hall, 2010.
- Direct3D Architecture (Direct3D 9), Microsoft, Nov. 16, 2013. Accessed Dec. 14, 2013. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb219679(v=vs.85).aspx
- Using Shaders in Direct3D 9, Microsoft, Dec. 12, 2013. Accessed Dec. 14, 2013. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb509704(v=vs.85).aspx
- T. Jones, DirectX 8 Graphics and Video: A Fresh Start, Nov. 30, 2000. Accessed Dec. 14, 2013. http://archive.gamedev.net/archive/reference/articles/article1247.html
- I. Cantlay, "High-Speed, Off-Screen Particles, GPU Gems 3," H. Nguyen, Ed., NJ, USA: Addison-Wesley, 2008, pp. 513-528.
- C. Wynn, Using P-Buffers for Off-Screen Rendering in OpenGL, NVidia Technical Paper, Nvidia, 2002. Accessed Nov. 25, 2013. https://developer.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/akamai/gamedev/docs/PixelBuffers.pdf
- K. Harris, Off-Screen Rendering, Direct3D (DirectX 9.0) Code Samples, Feb. 11, 2005. Accessed Dec. 1, 2013. http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src/dx9src_7.htm
- API Hooking. Accessed Oct. 18, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooking
- S.W. Kim, Intercepting System API Calls, Mar. 7, 2012. Accessed Oct. 18, 2012. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intercepting-system-api-calls
- S.M. Jang, W.H. Choi, and W.Y. Kim, "Client Rendering Method for Desktop Virtualization Services," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 2, Apr. 2013, pp. 348-351. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0212.0213