- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Dual-Phase Approach to Improve Prediction of Heart Disease in Mobile Environment
- Lee, Yang Koo (IT Convergence Technology Research Laboratory, ETRI) ;
- Vu, Thi Hong Nhan (Faculty of Information Technology, UET, Vietnam National University) ;
- Le, Thanh Ha (Faculty of Information Technology, UET, Vietnam National University)
- Received : 2014.08.09
- Accepted : 2015.01.17
- Published : 2015.04.01
In this paper, we propose a dual-phase approach to improve the process of heart disease prediction in a mobile environment. Firstly, only the confident frequent rules are extracted from a patient's clinical information. These are then used to foretell the possibility of the presence of heart disease. However, in some cases, subjects cannot describe exactly what has happened to them or they may have a silent disease - in which case it won't be possible to detect any symptoms at this stage. To address these problems, data records collected over a long period of time of a patient's heart rate variability (HRV) are used to predict whether the patient is suffering from heart disease. By analyzing HRV patterns, doctors can determine whether a patient is suffering from heart disease. The task of collecting HRV patterns is done by an online artificial neural network, which as well as learning knew knowledge, is able to store and preserve all previously learned knowledge. An experiment is conducted to evaluate the performance of the proposed heart disease prediction process under different settings. The results show that the process's performance outperforms existing techniques such as that of the self-organizing map and gas neural growing in terms of classification and diagnostic accuracy, and network structure.
Grant : 병사들에게 실전과 같은 가상훈련 환경을 제공하기 위한 전 방향 이동 지원 상호작용 소프트웨어 기술 개발
- J.Y. Chang and S.W. Nam, "Fast Random-Forest-Based Human Pose Estimation Using a Multi-scale and Cascade Approach," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 6, Dec. 2013, pp. 949-959. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.2013.0063
- D. Jo et al., "Tracking and Interaction Based on Hybrid Sensing for Virtual Environments," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 2, Apr. 2013, pp. 356-359. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0212.0170
- S. Jeong, Y. Kim, and C. Youn, "Personalized Healthcare System for Chronic Disease Care in Cloud Environment," ETRI J., vol. 36, no. 5, Oct. 2014, pp. 730-740. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.2214.0070
- S.I. McFarlane et al. "Hypertension in the High-Cardiovascular-Risk Populations," Int. J. Hypertension, 2011.
- K.M Anderson et al., "An Updated Coronary Risk Profile: A Statement for Health Professionals," Circulation J., Jan. 1991, pp. 356-361.
- N.A. Sundar, P.P. Latha, and M.R. Chandra, "Performance Analysis of Classification Data Mining Techniques over Heart Disease Database," Int. J. Eng. Sci. Adv. Technol., vol. 2, no. 3, 2012, pp. 470-478.
- F. Azuaje et al., "A Neural Network Approach to Coronary Heart Disease Risk Assessment Based on Short-Term Measurement of RR Intervals," Comput. Cardiology, Lund, Sweden, Sept. 7-10, 1997, pp. 53-56.
- B. Mirkin, "Clustering For Data Mining: A Data Recovery Approach," New York, USA: Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2005.
- R. Agrawal and R. Srikant, "Fast Algorithms for Mining Association Rules," Int. Conf. Very Large Databases, 1994, pp. 487-499.
- S.-W. Lee and K. Mase, "Activity and Location Recognition Using Wearable Sensors," IEEE Pervasive Comput., vol. 1, no. 3, 2002, pp. 24-32. https://doi.org/10.1109/MPRV.2002.1037719
- R. Detran et al., "International Application of a New Probability Algorithm for the Diagnosis of Coronary Artery Disease," American J. Cardiology, vol. 64, no. 5, Aug. 1989, pp. 304-310. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9149(89)90524-9
- H. Yan et al., "A Multilayer Perceptron-Based Medical Decision Support System for Heart Disease Diagnosis," Expert Syst. Appl., vol. 30, no. 2, Feb. 2006, pp. 272-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2005.07.022
- A. Ingo, B. Jorg, and S. Gerald, "On-line Learning with Dynamic Cell Structures," Int. Conf. Artif. Neural Netw., 1995, pp. 141-146.
- T. Kohonen, "Self-Organizing Maps," Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlarg, 2001.
- B. Fritzke, "A Growing Neural Gas Network Learns Topologies," in Adv. Neural Inf. Process. Syst. 7, Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press, 1995, pp. 625-632.
- T.H.N. Vu and N. Park, "Heart Rate Variability Pattern Recognition in Ambulatory Environments," IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Ind. Eng., Awaji, Japan, July 25-28, 2010, pp. 1-6.
- S. Teerakanok et al., "Preserving User Anonymity in Context-Aware Location-Based Services: A Proposed Framework," ETRI J., vol. 35, no. 3, June 2013, pp. 501-511. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.13.0112.0327
- Shian-Ru Ke et al., "Human Action Recognition Based on 3D Human Modeling and Cyclic HMMs," ETRI J., vol. 36, no. 4, Aug. 2014, pp. 662-672. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.14.0113.0647
- T.H.N. Vu, J.W. Lee, and K.H. Ryu, "Spatiotemporal Pattern Mining Technique for Location-Based Service System," ETRI J., vol. 30, no. 3, June 2008, pp. 421-431. https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.08.0107.0238
- Heart Disease Dataset, Machine Learning Repository. Accessed June 10, 2014. https://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml/datasets/
- T.H.N. Vu et al., "Online Discovery of Heart Rate Variability Patterns in Mobile Healthcare Services," J. Syst. Softw., vol. 83, no. 10, Oct. 2010, pp. 1930-1940. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2010.05.074