- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Optical Method to Determine Gait Parameters Using Position Sensitive Detector
- Jung, Gu-In ;
- Kim, Ji-Sun ;
- Lee, Tae-Hee ;
- Choi, Ju-Hyeon ;
- Oh, Han-Byeol ;
- Kim, A-Hee ;
- Goh, Bong-Jun ;
- Kim, Jun-Sik ;
- Lee, Eun-Suk ;
- Jun, Jae-Hoon
- Received : 2013.10.10
- Accepted : 2015.05.15
- Published : 2015.09.01
This study suggests an optical method to measure cardinal of gait (step width, step length, and stride length) with position sensitive detector (PSD). The effect of reflector’s shape (flat and cylinder) on the PSD output voltage was examined for the application of the suggested system to real situations with a curved shape reflector (e.g. shoes). Various mathematical models were evaluated to find the optimal equation for the distance measurement. Considering the effect of shape on detected signal, the inverse polynomial model was developed. The suggested method is simple to operate, low in cost, small in size, and can evaluate gait parameters in real time. This method is expected to be useful in the field of rehabilitation and sport science
Position sensitive detector;Gait;Walking;Gait parameters;Rehabilitation
- Ki-Wook Moon, Chul-Seung Kim, Jae-Ho Lee, Yu-Ri Kwon, Dong-Won Kang, Gon Khang, Yo-Han Kim, and Gwang-Moon Eom, “Development of Joint Angle Measurement System for the Feedback Control in FES Locomotion,” Trans. KIEE, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 203-209, Jan. 2009.
- Ju-Won Lee and Gun-Ki Lee, “Adaptive postural control for trans-femoral prostheses based on neural networks and EMG signals,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 37-44, July 2005.
- Gyoosuk Kim, Shinill Kang, Sungjae Kang, Jeicheong Ryu, Museoung Mun, and Kyunghoon Kim, “Unlockable knee joint mechanism for powered gait orthosis,” Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 83-89, July 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-009-0051-y
- Se-Jin Kong, Chul-Seung Kim, Ki-Wook Moon, Gwang-Moon Eom, Gye-Rae Tack, Kyeong-Seop Kim, Jeong-Whan Lee, and Young-Hee Lee, “Gait-Event Detection using an Accelerometer for the Paralyzed Patients,” Trans. KIEE, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 990-992, May 2007.
- Henk J. Luinge, and Peter H. Veltink, “Inclination measurement of human movement using a 3-D accelerometer with autocalibration,” IEEE Trans. Neural Syst. Rehabil. Eng., vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 112-121, Mar. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2003.822759
- Jeffrey M. Hausdorf, Zvi Ladin, and d Jeanne Y. We, “Footswitch system for measurement of the temporal parameters of gait,” J. Biom., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 347-351, Mar. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(94)00074-E
- Auvinet Bernard, Chaleil Denis, and Barrey Eric, “Accelerometric gait analysis for use in hospital outpatients,” Rev. Rhum. Engl. Ed., vol. 66, no. 7-9, pp. 389-397, July-Sep. 1999.
- Michael W. Whittle, “Calibration and performance of a 3-dimensional television system for kinematic analysis,” J. Biom., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 185-196, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(82)90251-2
- Sun Woo Park, Ryang Hee Sohn, Ki Hong Ryu, and Young Ho Kim, “Comparison of motion sensor system for gait phase detection,” J. Korean Sco. Precis. Eng., vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 145-152, Feb. 2010.
- Seung Chan Ann, Sung Jae Hwang, Sung Jae Kang, and Young Ho Kim, “Development and evaluation of a new gait phase detection system using FSR sensors and a gyrosensor,” J. Korean Sco. Precis. Eng., vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 196-203, Oct. 2004.
- Masaki Sekin, Yoshiyuki Abe, Mitsuyoshi Sekimoto, Yuji Higashi, Toshiro Fujimoto, Toshiyo Tamura, and Yasuhiro Fukui, “Assessment of gait parameter in hemiplegic patients by accelerometry,” in Proc. Annu. Int. Conf. IEEE Eng. Med. Biol. Soc., vol. 3, pp. 1879-1882, July 2000.
- Gu-In Jung, Ji-Sun Kim, Dong-Hun Hur, Hwan-Dong Yu, Sung-Hwan Lim, Ju-Hyeon Choi, Jeong-Hwan Lee, Gwang-Moon Eom, and Jae-Hoon Jun, “Angular Displacement Measurement Using Optical Sensor,” Trans. KIEE, vol. 60, no. 10, pp. 1959-1965, Oct. 2011.
- Ruth E. Mayagoitia, Anand V. Nene, and Peter H. Veltink, “Accelerometer and rate gyroscope measurement of kinematics: an inexpensive alternate to optical motion analysis systems,” J. Biom., vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 537-542, Apr. 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(01)00231-7
- J.R.W. Morris, “Accelerometry-A technique for the measurement of human body movement,” J. Biom., vol. 6, no. 6, pp.729-736, Nov. 1973. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9290(73)90029-8
- Dietrich Marcuse, “Curvature lose formula for optical fibers,” J. Opt. Soc. Am., vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 216-220, 1976. https://doi.org/10.1364/JOSA.66.000216
- A.L. Evans, G. Duncan, and W. Gilchrist, “Recording accelerations in body movements,” MED. Biol. Eng. Comput., vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 102-104, Jan. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02446305
- Brandell Bruce R., “Development of a universal control unit for functional electrical stimulation (FES),” Am. J. Phys. Med., vol. 61, no. 6, pp. 279-301, Dec. 1982.
- Se-Jun Kong, Gwang-Moon Eom, Chul-Seung Kim, and Kwan-Yong Park, “Portable Gait-Event Detection System for FES Locomotion,” Trans. KIEE, vol. 55D, no. 5, pp. 248-253, May 2006.
- Perry Jacquelin, “Gait analysis, Normal and pathological function,” Slack, Thorofare, NJ, 1992.
- Q B Tong, Z L Ding, J C Chen, L L Ai, and F Yuan, “The research of screw thread parameter measurement based on position sensitive detector and laser,” J. Phys.: Conf. Ser., vol. 48, pp. 561-565, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/48/1/105