- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
RTDS-based Model Component Development of a Tri-axial HTS Power Cable and Transient Characteristic Analysis
- Ha, Sun-Kyoung ;
- Kim, Sung-Kyu ;
- Kim, Jin-Geun ;
- Park, Minwon ;
- Yu, In-Keun ;
- Lee, Sangjin ;
- Kim, Jae-Ho ;
- Sim, Kideok
- Received : 2013.08.29
- Accepted : 2015.05.12
- Published : 2015.09.01
The transient characteristics of the tri-axial High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) power cable are different from those of a conventional power cable depending on whether the cable is under a steady or transient state due to the quench. Verification using simulation tools is required to confirm both the characteristics of the cable and the effect of the cable when it is applied to a real utility. However, a component for the cable has not been provided in simulation tools; thus the RTDS-based model component of the tri-axial HTS power cable was developed, and a simulation was performed under the transient state. The considered properties of model component include resistance, reactance and temperature. Simulation results indicate the variation of HTS power cable condition. The results are used for the transient characteristic analysis and stability verification of the tri-axial HTS power cable. In the future, the RTDS-based model component of the cable will be used to implement the hardware-in-the-loop simulation with a protection device.
Circuit simulation;HTS;HTS power cable;RTDS;Tri-axial cable
- J. H. Bang, M. Park, and I. K. Yu, "HTS power cable component for PSCAD/EMTDC," Patent Publication, 10-2007-1016246, 2007.
- D. Lindsay, M. Roden, R. Denmon, D. Willen, B. Mehraban, and A. Keri, “Installation and commissioning of triax hts cable,” JICABLE, A3-2, 2007.
- Website: http://www.supercables.com/
- J. H. Bang, H. H. Je, J. H. Kim, K. Sim, J. Cho, J. Y. Yoon, M. Park, and I. K. Yu, “Critical Current, Critical Temperature and Magnetic Field Based EMTDC Model Component for HTS Power Cable,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 17, pp. 1726-1729, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2007.898034
- S. K. Ha, S. K. Kim, J. G. Kim, M. Park, I. K. Yu, S. Lee, K. Sim, and A. R. Kim, "Transient Characteristic Analysis of a Tri-axial HTS Power Cableusing PSCAD/EMTDC." IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., to be published.
- H. S. Yang, D. L. Kim, S. H. Sohn, J. H. Lim, Y. S. Choi, and S. D. Hwang, “Hybrid Cooling System Installation for the KEPCO HTS Power Cable,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 1292-1295, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2010.2044036
- C. H. Lee, D. H. Kim, C. D. Kim, K. S. Kim, and I. S. Kim, “An optimal cooling method for long HTS power transmission cable,” The Korea Institute of Applied Superconductivity and Cryogenics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 56-61, 2004.
- G. H. Kim, M. Park, and I. K. Yu, “RTDS-based real time simulations of grid-connected wind turbine generator systems,” in APEC2010, Feb. 2010, pp. 2085-2090.
- J. H. Lee, G. Cha, “AC loss calculation of a multi-layer HTS transmission cable considering the twist of each layer,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 1, 2433-2436, 2001.
- Incropera, Dewitt, Bergman, Lavine White, Introduction to heat transfer, fifth ed., John wiley & Sons, New York, 2007.
- S. K. Ha, S. K. Kim, J. G. Kim, M. Park, I. K. Yu, S. Lee, and K. Sim, "Development of an impedance matching program for balancing the distribution in a tri-axial HTS power cable," The International Conferenceon Superconductivity and Magnetism, to be published.
- S. K. Kim, S. K. Ha, J. G. Kim, S. Kim, M. Park, I. K. Yu, S. Lee, K. Sim, "Design and AC loss analysis of a 22.9 kV/50 MVA class tri-axial HTS power cable ," The International Conference on Superconductivity and Magnetism, to be published.