- Volume 10 Issue 5
A two stage ac drive configuration consisting of a single-phase line commutated rectifier and a three-phase voltage source inverter (VSI) is very common in low and medium power applications. The deterministic pulse width modulation (PWM) methods like sinusoidal PWM (SPWM) could not be considered as an ideal choice for modern drives since they result mechanical vibration and acoustic noise, and limit the application scope. This is due to the incapability of the deterministic PWM strategies in sprawling the harmonic power. The random PWM (RPWM) approaches could solve this issue by creating continuous harmonic profile instead of discrete clusters of dominant harmonics. Insufficient filtering at dc link results in the amplitude distortion of the input dc voltage to the VSI and has the most significant impact on the spectral errors (difference between theoretical and practical spectra). It is obvious that the sprawling effect of RPWM undoubtedly influenced by input fluctuation and the discrete harmonic clusters may reappear. The influence of dc link fluctuation on harmonics and their spreading effect in the VSI remains invalidated. A case study is done with four different filter capacitor values in this paper and results are compared with the constant dc input operation. This paper also proposes an ingenious RPWM, a ripple dosed sinusoidal reference-random carrier PWM (RDSRRCPWM), which has the innate capacity of suppressing the effect of input fluctuation in the output than the other modern PWM methods. MATLAB based simulation study reveals the fundamental component, total harmonic distortion (THD) and harmonic spread factor (HSF) for various modulation indices. The non-ideal dc link is managed well with the developed RDSRRCPWM applied to the VSI and tested in a proto type VSI using the field programmable gate array (FPGA).
Ripple dosed sinusoidal reference random carrier pulse width modulation (RDSRRCPWM);Random pulse width modulation (RPWM);Harmonic spread factor (HSF);Voltage source inverter (VSI)
- P. Enjeti and W. Shireen, “An advanced programmed PWM modulator for inverter which simultaneously eliminates harmonics and rejects dc link voltage ripple”, IEEE Conference Record, pp. 681-685, 1990.
- Joachim Holtz, Pulse width modulation – A survey”, IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 410-420, December 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/41.161472
- J. M. D. Murphy and M. G. Egan, “A comparison of PWM strategies for inverter-fed induction motors”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. IA-19, no. 3. pp. 363-369. May/June 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1983.4504210
- Dong-Myung Lee, “Advanced Static Over-modulation Scheme using Offset Voltages Injection for Simple Implementation and Less Harmonics”, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 138-145, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.138
- J. A. Houldsworth and P. A. Grant, “The use of harmonic distortion to increase the output voltage of a three-phase PWM inverter”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. IA-20, no. 5, pp. 1224-1228, Sep./Oct., 1984. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1984.4504587
- Phoivos D. Ziogas, “The delta modulation technique in static PWM inverters”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Application, vol. 1A-17, pp. 199-203, March/April 1981.
- Tsu-Hua Ai, Jiann-Fuh Chen and Tsorng-Juu Liang, ” A hybrid switching method for thermal management in full-bridge inverter”, Proceedings of 4th IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, vol. 2, pp. 633-637, Oct. 2001.
- Vikram Kaura and Vladimir Blasko, “A new method to extend linearity of a sinusoidal PWM in the over modulation region”, IEEE Transaction on Industry Applications, vol.32, no.5, pp.1115-1121, Sep./Oct., 1996. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.536873
- Giovanni Griva, Thomas G. Habetler, Francesco Profumo, and Michelle Pastorelli, “Performance Evaluation of a Direct Torque Controlled Drive in the Continuous PWM-Square Wave Transition Region,” Power Electronics Specialists Conference, Seattle, WA, 1993 pp. 237-234.
- J. Holtz, W. Lotzkat, and A. Khambadkone, “On continuous control of PWM inverters in the over modulation range including the six-step mode,” Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on IECON, pp. 307-322, 1992.
- Ray-Shyang Lai and Khai D. T. Nago, “A PWM method for reduction of switching loss in a full-bridge inverter”, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 326-332, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.387998
- Michael A. Boost, and Phoivos D.Ziogas, “State-of-Art–Carrier PWM Techniques: A Critical Evaluation”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 271-280 March/April 1998.
- A. M. Imam, T. G. Habetler, R. G. Harley, and D. M. Divan, “Condition monitoring of electrolytic capacitor in power electronic circuits using adaptive filter modeling,” Proc. 36th IEEE PESC, 2005, pp. 601-607.
- T. Jarin and P. Subburaj, “Comprehensive Investigation on Harmonic Spreading Effects of SPWM and RPWM Methods”, European Journal of Scientific Research, vol. 103 No. 2, pp. 296 - 303.
- P. Enjeti and W. Shireen, “A new techniques to reject dc-link voltage ripple for inverters operating on programmed PWM waveforms”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 171-180, Jan. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.124589
- P. D. Ziogaset. al., “Rectifier-inverter frequency changer with suppressed dc-link components”, IEEE IAS Conference Record, pp. 1180-1189, 1985.
- José Luis Durán-Gómez, Prasad N. Enjeti, and Byeong Ok Woo, “Effect of Voltage Sags on Adjustable-Speed Drives: A Critical Evaluation and an Approach to Improve Performance”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 1440- 1449 November/December 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.806060
- K. Taniguchi, Y. Ogino and H. Irie, “PWM technique for power MOSFET inverter”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 328-334, July 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.17951
- Russel J. Kerkman, Timothy M. Roman, David Leggate, and Brian J. Seibel, “Control of PWM voltage inverters in the pulse dropping region”, Record of IEEE Conference, pp. 521-528, 1994.
- Ahmet M. Hava, Russel J. Kerkman, and Thomas A. Lipo, “Carrier-Based PWM-VSI Over modulation Strategies: Analysis, Comparison, and Design”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 13, no. 4, pp.674-689, July 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.704136
- Perumal Maruthupandi, Nunjundappan Devarajan, Kathalingam Sebasthirani, and Jordy K Jose, “Optimum control of total harmonic distortion in field programmable gate array-based cascaded multilevel inverter”, Journal of Vibration and Control, September 20, 2013.
- HuiOuyang, Kai Zhang, Pengju Zhang, Yong Kang, and Jian Xiong, “Repetitive Compensation of Fluctuating DC Link Voltage for Railway Traction Drives”, IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 2160-2170, August 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2105283
- T. G. Habetler and D. M. Divan, “Acoustic noise reduction in sinusoidal PWM drives using a randomly modulated carrier,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 6, pp. 356-363, May 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.85902
- Seo-Hyeong Kim, Woojin Choi, Sewan Choi, and Kyo-Beum Lee, “Combined Dithered Sigma-Delta Modulation based Random PWM Switching Scheme” JPE, vol. 9, no. 5, pp.667-678, 2009.
- Mikhail Egorov and Valery Vodovozov, “Space Vector Modulation with Reduced switching losses for motor drive inverters”, Proceedings of IEEE International Conferences, pp.388-393, 2011.
- Mohamed Azab, “Harmonic Elimination in Three-Phase Voltage Source Inverters by Particle Swarm Optimization”, Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol.6, no.3, pp.334-341, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.3.334
- Yo-Han Lee, Dong-Hyun Kim, and Dong-Seok Hyun, “Carrier Based SVPWM Method for Multi-Level System Considering Harmonic Distortion Factor”, Journal of Power Electronics, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp.26-35, April 2001.
- H. W. Van Der Broeck, H. C. Skudelny, and G. V. Stanke. “Analysis and Realization of a Pulse-Width-Modulator Based on Voltage Space Vectors,” IEEE Transactions on Industry Application, Vol. 24, pp. 142-150, Jan/Feb. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.87265
- D. G. Holmes, “The general relationship between regular-sampled pulse-width-modulation and space vector modulation for hard switched converters,” Proceedings of IEEE-IAS Annual Meeting, 1992, pp. 1002-1010.
- Arumugam Sivaprakasam and Thathan Manigandan, “An alternative scheme to reduce torque ripple and mechanical vibration in direct torque controlled permanent magnet synchronous motor”, Journal of Vibration and Control, July 10, 2013.
- Hyun-Sam Jung, Seung-Jun Chee, Seung-Ki Sul, Young-Jae Park, Hyun-Soo Park, and Woo-Kyu Kim, “Control of Three-Phase Inverter for AC Motor Drive With Small DC-Link Capacitor Fed by Single-Phase AC Source”, IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 1074 - 10781, March/April 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2013.2288238
- Bin Gou, Xiaoyun Feng, Wensheng Song, Kun Han, XinglaiGe, “Analysis and Compensation of Beat Phenomenon for Railway Traction Drive System Fed with Fluctuating DC-Link Voltage”, IEEE 7th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference - ECCE Asia June 2-5, 2012, Harbin, China.
- J. Klima, M. Chomat, L. Schreier,“Analytical Closed-form Investigation of PWM Inverter Induction Motor Drive Performance under DC Bus Voltage Pulsation,” IET Electric Power Applicat., Vol. 2, No. 6, pp. 341-352, Nov.2008. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20070372
- Adhavan B and Jagannathan V, “Performance comparison of hysteresis pulse width modulation and space vector pulse width modulation techniques for torque ripple reduction in permanent magnet synchronous motor using iterative learning control”, Journal of Vibration and Control, April 2014; vol. 20, 5: pp. 698-712. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546312463748
- Katsunori Taniguchi, Yasumasa Ogino, and Hisaichi, “PWM technique for power MOSFET Inverter,” IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.3, no.3, July 1988.
- HavaA. M, R. Kerkman and T. A. Lipo, 1998, “A High-Performance Generalized Discontinuous PWM Algorithm”, IEEE Transactions on Industry applications, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. no. 1059-1071. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.720446
- Solomon O.R., Parvis Famouri, 2006, “A novel approach for evaluating performance of discontinuous pulse width modulation schemes for three-phase voltage source inverter”, The Proceedings of IEEE Conference (ISIE 2006), July 9-12, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Current-Sensorless Power-Decoupling Phase-Shift Dual-Half-Bridge Converter for DC–AC Power Conversion Systems Without Electrolytic Capacitor vol.32, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2016.2587813