- Volume 10 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Novel Flexible PCB Conductive Structure for Electrodynamic Bearings and Measurement in its Induced Voltage
- Ding, Guoping ;
- Sandtner, Jan ;
- Bleuler, Hannes
- Received : 2014.03.18
- Accepted : 2015.04.21
- Published : 2015.09.01
This paper proposes the concept of FlexPCB(flexible Printed Circuit Board) conductive structure for electrodynamic bearings. It has three main advantages: easy “printing” of considerably thin conductive wires, resulting in potential reduction in stray eddy currents; realization of specific conductive configurations with high precision to optimize the eddy current flowing; simplicity in being wound to cylinders or hollow cylinders of different diameters. To verify this new concept, the FlexPCB conductive structure was manufactured, an axial electrodynamic bearing test rig was built and the conductive structure's induced voltage was measured along the axial displacements from 0mm to 56mm at three rotating speeds. The finite element method was used to calcuatlate the flux density of electrodynamic bearing and induced voltage of the FlexPCB conductive structure. The experimental results are compared with the results from the FEM calculation. It is concluded that the measured and calculated induced voltages have consistency in the middle part of the bearing.
Flexible PCB;Conductive structure;Electrodynamic bearings;Induced voltage;Finite element method
- R. F. Post and D. D. Ryutov, “Ambient-Temperature Passive Magnetic Bearings: Theory and Design Equations”, in Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, Cambridge, Massachusetts, August 5-7, 1998.
- Paul Alan Basore, "Passive Stabilization of Flywheel Magnetic Bearings", Master Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, 1980.
- Richard F. Post, “Passive Magnetic Bearings for Vehicular Electromechanical Batteries”, Report of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1996.
- R. F. Post, D. D. Ryutov and J. R. Smith, “Research on Ambient-Temperature Passive Magnetic Bearings at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory”, in Proceedings of MAG ’97 Industrial Conference, Exhibition and Short Course on Magnetic Bearings, Alexandria, VA, August 19-22, 1997.
- R.F. Post and D.A. Bender, “Ambient-Temperature Passive Magnetic Bearings for Flywheel Energy Storage Systems”, in Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, Zurich, Switzerland, August 23-25, 2000.
- Richard F. Post, “Stability Issues in Ambient-Temperature Passive Magnetic Bearing Systems”, Report of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 2000.
- Alexei V. Filatov and Eric H. Maslen, “Passive Magnetic Bearing for Flywheel Energy Storage Systems”, IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON MAGNETICS, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 3913-3924, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.966127
- Nicola Amati, X. D. L. and Andrea Tonoli, “Modeling of Electrodynamic Bearings”, Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, vol. 130, no. 9, p.2355-2371. p. 061007-1-9, 2008.
- Jan Sandtner and Hannes Bleuler, “Electrodynamic Passive Magnetic Bearing with Planar Halbach Arrays”, in Proceedings of the 9th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, Lexington, Kentucky, USA, August 3-6, 2004.
- Alexei V. Filatov and P. M., Kent Davey, “Richard Thompson.: Flywheel Energy Storage System with Homopolar Electrodynamic Magnetic Bearing”, in Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, Martigny, Switzerland, August 21-23, 2006.
- Jan Sandtner and Hannes Bleuler, "Compact Passive Electrodynamice Thrust Bearing", in Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Magnetic Bearings, Nara, Japan, August 26-29, 2008.
- Torbjörn A. Lembke, "Design and Analysis of a Novel Low Loss Homopolar Electrodynamic Bearing", PhD Thesis, KTH Elec. Eng. Dept., Stockholm, 2005.
- Impinna Fabrizio, "Electrodynamic Bearings Modeling and Design", PhD Thesis, POLITECNICO DI TORINO, Torino, 2010.
- Alexei V. Filatov and Eric H. Maslen, “A method of noncontact suspension of rotating bodies using electromagnetic forces”, JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, vol.91, no.4, pp.2355-2371, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1430894
- Alexei V. Filatov and Eric H. Maslen, “Stability of an electrodynamic suspension”, JOURNAL OF APPLIED PHYSICS, vol. 92, nod. 6, pp. 2355-2371, 2002.
- Heat transfer enhancement by flexible printed circuit board's deformation vol.84, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2017.04.004
- The Effect of Freestream Flow Velocities on the Flexible Printed Circuit Board with Different BGA Package Arrangements vol.42, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-017-2491-5
- Experimental and numerical investigation of flow and thermal effects on flexible printed circuit board vol.72, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microrel.2017.03.022