- Volume 10 Issue 5
This paper proposes the enhanced application of superconducting magnetic energy storage (SMES) for the effective compensation of power fluctuations based on the interleaving technique. With increases in demand for renewable energy based photovoltaic (PV) generation system, the output power fluctuations from PV generation system due to sudden changes in environmental conditions can cause serious problems such as grid voltage and frequency variations. To solve this problem, the SMES system is applied with its superior characteristics with respect to high power density, fast response for charge and discharge operations, system efficiency, etc. In particular, the compensation capability is effectively improved by the proposed interleaving technique based on its parallel structure. The dynamic performance of the system designed using the proposed method is evaluated with several case studies through time-domain simulations.
Distributed power generation;Interleaving technique;Renewable energy system;superconducting magnetic energy storage
- H. Beltran, M. Swierczynski, N. Aparicio, E. Belenguer, R. Teodorescu, and P. Rodriguez, “Lithium ion batteries ageing analysis when used in a PV power plant,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), Hangzhou, China, May, 2012, pp. 1604-1609.
- F. Diaz-Gonzalez, F. D. Bianchi, A. Sumper, and O. Gomis-Bellmunt, “Control of a flywheel energy storage system for power smoothing in wind power plants,” IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 204-214, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2013.2292495
- Z. Zhou, F. Scuiller, J. F. Charpentier, M. E. H. Benbouzid, and T. Tang, “Power smoothing control in a grid-connected marine current turbine system for compensating swell effect,” IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 4, no. 3, July 2013.
- H. Beltran, E. Bilbao, E. Belenguer, I. Etxeberria-Otadui, and P. Rodriguez, “Evaluation of storage energy requirements for constant production in PV power plants,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 1225-1234, Mar. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2012.2202353
- B.-K. Kang, S.-T. Kim, S.-H. Bae, and J.-W. Park, “Effect of a SMES in power distribution network with PV system and PBEVs,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 5700104, Jun. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2012.2230681
- I. Ngamroo and T. Karaipoom, “Improving low-voltage ride-through performance and alleviating power fluctuation of DFIG wind turbine in DC microgrid by optimal SMES with fault current limiting function”, IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 5700805, Oct. 2014.
- S.H. Lee, G.T. Son, and Jung-Wook Park, “Power management and control for grid-connected DGs with intentional islanding operation of inverter,” IEEE Trans. Power Sys., vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 1235-1244, May 2013.
- S. Zhang and X. Yu, “A Unified Analytical Modeling of the Interleaved Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) DC-DC Converter and Its Applications,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 11, pp. 5147-5158, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2245683
- M. Saejia and I. Ngamroo, “Alleviation of power fluctuation in interconnected power systems with wind farm by SMES with optimal coil size,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 5701504, Jun. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2011.2178984
- A. M. Shiddiq-Yunus, M. A. S. Masoum, and A. Abu-Siada, “Application of SMES to enhance the dynamic performance of DFIG during voltage sag and swell,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 5702009, Aug. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2012.2191769
- S. Faias, P. Santos, J. Sousa, and R. Castro, “An overview on short and long-term response energy storage devices for power systems applications. System,” in Proc. Int. Conf. Renewable Energies and Power Quality (ICREPQ'08), Santander, Spain, p. 6, Mar. 2008.
- T. F. Wu, Y. S. Lai, J. C. Hung, and Y. M. Chen, “Boost converter with coupled inductors and buck-boost type of active clamp,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 154-162, Jan. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.903925
- J.-T. Su and C.-W. Liu, “A novel phase-shedding control scheme for improved light load efficiency of multiphase interleaved DC-DC converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 28, no. 10, pp. 4742-4752, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2233220
- C. T. Pan and Y. H. Liao, “Modeling and control of circulating currents for parallel three-phase boost rectifiers with different load sharing,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 2776-2785, Jul. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.925647
- J.-T. Su and C.-W. Liu, “A Novel Phase-Shedding Control Scheme for Improved Light Load Efficiency of Multiphase Interleaved DC-DC Converters,” IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 4742-4752, Oct. 2013.
- S. Eckroad, “Program on Technology Innovation: Modeling of SMES and Its Integration to the Power Grid,” EPRI, Palo Alto, CA, Oct. 2005.
- F. Liccardo, P. Marino, G. Torre, and M. Triggianese, “Interleaved DC-DC converters for photovoltaic modules,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Clean Electrical Power, 2007. ICCEP'07, Capri, Italy, pp. 201-207, May, 2007.
- J. H. Kim, W. S. Kim, S. Hahn, J. M. Lee, M. H. Rue, B. H. Cho, C. H. Im, and H. K. Jung, “Characteristic test of HTS pancake coil modules for small-sized SMES,” IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 1919-1922, Jun. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASC.2005.849334
- S. A. D. Contreras, P. C. Cortizo, M. A. S. Mendes, “Simple control technique for interleaved inverters with magnetically coupled legs,” IET Power Electron., vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 353-363, Feb. 2013 https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-pel.2012.0514