- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Dental Hygienists' LMX (Leader-Member Exchange) and Empowerment on Organizational Performance
치과위생사의 LMX (Leader-Member Exchange)와 임파워먼트가 조직성과에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2015.09.08
- Accepted : 2015.10.02
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to determine the effects of dental hygienists' leader-member exchange (LMX) and empowerment on organizational performance, improve human resource management in their organization and their job satisfaction and organizational commitment, and provide basic data that could help improve organizational performance. A survey was conducted in 324 dental hygienists at dental care institutions in Ulsan, Busan, and Daegu from March 2 to 31, 2015 and the following results were obtained: Dental hygienists at dental hospitals had higher levels of LMX than those at dental clinics; those who were at higher positions, who were older, and who were more educated showed higher levels of empowerment. There was significant, positive correlation between LMX and empowerment and job satisfaction and organizational commitment: dental hygienists with better LMX and higher levels of empowerment showed higher levels of job satisfaction and organizational commitment. For dental hygienists, significance (
Empowerment;Job satisfaction;LMX;Organizational commitment
- Oh EH, Chung BY: The effect of empowerment on nursing performance, job satisfaction, organizational commitment and turnover intention in hospital nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs Adm 17: 391-401, 2011. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.4.391
- Kim TH, Son EY, Shin JH: The relationship among LMX and empowerment, job satisfaction and customer orientation: focused on the culinary staff on the deluxe hotel in Seoul. Korea J Tourism Hosp Res 21: 321-335, 2007.
- Kang YS, Baek GB, Kim JH: Moderating effects of leadership styles between leader-member exchange and organizational commitment, and organizational citizenship behavior. J Acad Manag 25: 349-374, 2001.
- Yu OD: The effect of leader-member exchange on organizational citizenship behavior : Focusing a military organization. Unpublished master's thesis, Uiduk University, Gyeongju, 2008.
- Lee J, Jang K: The effects of leader-member exchange relations on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. J Korean Human Resource Develop 5: 55-74, 2003.
- Min S, Kim HY, Kim EA, Jeong YJ, Park KI: The moderating effect of LMX in relationship between leadership and organizational commitment: A group of nurses in a university as subjects. Daehan J Bus 24: 3401-3421, 2011.
- Laschinger Havens DS: Staff nurse work empowerment and perceived control over nursing practice, conditions for work effectiveness. J Nurs Admin 26: 27-35, 1996.
- Vecchio RP: A Dyadic interpretation of the contingency model of leadership effectiveness. J Acad Manag 22: 590-600, 1979. https://doi.org/10.2307/255747
- Hong JS: The relationship of salesperson competencies with performance in the Korean pharmacy utical industry. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Woman University, Seoul, 2004.
- Spreitzer GM: Psychological empowerment in the workplace: Dimensions, measurement and validation. J Acad Manag 38: 1442-1465, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256865
- Jung HJ: A study on the influence of empowerment of job satisfaction and organizational commitment: Unpublished master's thesis, Seoul University, Seoul, 1998.
- Donavan DT, Brown TJ, Mowen JC: Internal benefits of service-worker customer orientation: Job satisfaction, commitment, and organization. J Marketing 68: 128-146, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.188.8.131.5234
- Kim DY: The effect of self-leadership of social workers on organizational performance. Unpublished master's thesis, Daegu Haany University, Daegu, 2015.
- LeRouge C, Nelson A, Blanton JE: The impact of role stress fit and self-esteem on the job attitudes of IT professionals. Inf Manag 43: 928-938, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.im.2006.08.011
- Kyung EL: Moderating effects of leader-member exchange (LMX) on job burnout in dietitians and chefs of institutional foodservice. Nutr Res Pract 5: 80-87, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2011.5.1.80
- Yi HH, Yi YJ: Influence of leader-member exchange quality of head nurses and clinical nurse on organizational commitment and job satisfaction in clinical nurses. Korean J Acad Nurs Adm 20: 195-205, 2004.
- Gwon MY, Jung MH: Study of dental hygenist's stress degree and adaptation method. J Dent Hyg Sci 4: 133-40, 2004.
- Choi HJ, Bang HJ, Chung EY, Seo YG: Factors that affect the level of emotional labor in dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 295-301, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.295
- Shin SH: A study on empowerment of the clinical dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 10: 185-190, 2010.
- Lee HO, Ju OJ, Kim KS: An analysis on factors related to the job satisfaction of dental hygienists at J region. J Dent Hyg Sci 7:65-72, 2007.
- Kim YK, Choi MS, Jung KT, Kim YH: A study on relation to empowerment of dental hygienist and immersion of duty and devotion of organization. Korean J Hosp Manag 8: 76-110, 2003.
Supported by : 춘해보건대학교