- Volume 15 Issue 5
The purpose of this study was to examine the association between oral health status and rheumatoid arthritis (RA). The study used a nationally representative sample of Koreans (2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey) aged 19 years over (n=6,113). Dependent variable was RA, which was assessed with oral health status. Independent variable was oral health status (periodontal status, missing tooth). The chi-square test and logistic regression analysis were performed to identify the association between oral health status and RA. Results of logistic regression analysis for association between periodontal status and RA was no significant. Results of logistic regression analysis for association between missing tooth and RA was statistically significant. The odds ratio (OR) for RA participants was 3.03 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.47~6.23) in missing tooth 19~28 than missing tooth 0~8. The OR for RA participants was 2.08 (95% CI, 1.06~4.08) in missing tooth 9~18 than missing tooth 0~8. After adjustment for confounders (socio-demographic factors, health behaviors), results of logistic regression analysis was no significant. More missing tooth among adults was greater the risk of RA. By promoting the improvement of oral hygiene and oral health would contribute to reduce the risks associated with systemic diseases. Future study is needed to examine the detailed causal relations between oral health status and RA bidirectionally.
Oral health;Rheumatoid arthritis;Tooth loss
- de Pablo P, Dietrich T, McAlindon TE: Association of periodontal disease and tooth loss with rheumatoid arthritis in the US population. J Rheumatol 35: 70-76, 2008.
- National web data: the National Health Plan 2020. Retrieved Aug 17, 2015, frome http://www.mindbank.info/item/4070 (2011, July 22).
- Dev YP, Khuller N, Basavaraj P, G S: Rheumatoid arthritis among periodontitis patients in baddi industrial estate of himachal pradesh, India: a cross sectional study. J Clin Diagn Res 7: 2334-2337, 2013.
- Khantisopon N, Louthrenoo W, Kasitanon N, et al.: Periodontal disease in Thai patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Int J Rheum Dis 17: 511-518, 2014.
- Grau AJ, Becher H, Ziegler CM, et al.: Periodontal disease as a risk factor for ischemic stroke. Stroke 35: 496-501, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000110789.20526.9D
- Won JH, Ha MN: An association of periodontitis and diabetes. J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 107-113, 2014.
- Jung JO: Effects of metabolic syndrome on periodontal diseases in Korean adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 12: 245-252, 2012.
- Han GS, Bae KH, Lee MJ, Choi JS: Evaluation of periodontal status according to sociodemograhic and health behavior characteristics. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 395-401, 2008.
- Detert J, Pischon N, Burmester GR, Buttgereit F: The association between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease. Arthritis Res Ther 12: 1-7, 2010.
- Pischon N, Pischon T, Kroger J, et al.: Association among rheumatoid arthritis, oral hygiene, and periodontitis. J Periodontol 79: 979-986, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2008.070501
- Rutger Persson G: Rheumatoid arthritis and periodontitisinflammatory and infectious connections. J Oral Microbiol 4: 1-16, 2012.
- Mercado FB, Marshall RI, Bartold PM: Inter-relationships between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease. J Clin Periodontol 30: 761-772, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-051X.2003.00371.x
- Ishi EP, Bertolo MB, Rossa CJ, Kirkwood KL, Onofre MA: Periodontal condition in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Braz Oral Res 22: 72-77, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-83242008000100013
- Kaur S, White S, Bartold PM: Periodontal disease and rheumatoid arthritis: a systematic review. J Dent Res 92: 399-408, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1177/0022034513483142
- Shin HE, Kim JH, Jung YS, et al.: Relation between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease: using the fifth Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. J Korean Acad Oral Health 38: 232-237, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2014.38.4.232
- Berthelot JM, Le Goff B: Rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease. Joint Bone Spine 77: 537-541, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbspin.2010.04.015
- Ortiz P, Bissada NF, Palomo L, et al.: Periodontal therapy reduces the severity of active rheumatoid arthritis in patients treated with or without tumor necrosis factor inhibitors. J Periodontol 80: 535-540, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.080447
- Lee HK, Song KB, Lee SK, Park JH, Choi YH: Association between tooth loss and cardiovascular risk indicators in the Korean elderly. J Korean Acad Dental Health 32: 495-503, 2008.
- Hur NW, Choi CB, Uhm WS, Bae SC: The prevalence and trend of arthritis in Korea: results from Korea national health and nutrition examination surveys. J Rheum Dis 15: 11-26, 2008.
- Kobayashi T, Murasawa A, Komatsu Y, et al.: Serum cytokine and periodontal profiles in relation to disease activity of rheumatoid arthritis in Japanese adults. J Periodontol 81: 650-657, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.090688
- Dissick A, Redman RS, Jones M, et al.: Association of periodontitis with rheumatoid arthritis: a pilot study. J Periodontol 81: 223-230, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2009.090309
- Mercado F, Marshall RI, Klestov AC, Bartold PM: Is there a relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease? J Periodontol 27: 267-272, 2007.
- Martinez-Martinez RE, Abud-Mendoza C, Patino-Marin N, Rizo-Rodriguez JC, Little JW, Loyola-Rodriguez JP: Detection of periodontal bacterial DNA in serum and synovial fluid in refractory rheumatoid arthritis patients. J Clin Periodontol 36:1004-1010, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-051X.2009.01496.x
- Nesse W, Dijkstra PU, Abbas F, et al.: Increased prevalence of cardiovascular and autoimmune diseases in periodontitis patients: a cross-sectional study. J Periodontol 81: 1622-1628, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2010.100058
- Kasser UR, Gleissner C, Dehne F, Michel A, Willershausen-Zonnchen B, Bolten WW: Risk for periodontal disease in patients with longstanding rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 40: 2248-2251, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/art.1780401221
- de Pablo P, Chapple IL, Buckley CD, Dietrich T: Periodontitis in systemic rheumatic diseases. Nat Rev Rheumatol 5: 218-224, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrrheum.2009.28
- Relationship between rheumatoid arthritis and periodontal disease in Korean adults: Data from the Sixth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013 to 2015 pp.00223492, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/JPER.18-0290