- Volume 15 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Oral Health Belief and Oral Health Behavior of Taxi Driver in Jeollabuk-do
전라북도 일부 운수종사자의 구강건강신념과 구강보건행태에 관한 연구
- Received : 2015.08.05
- Accepted : 2015.08.28
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between the oral health behavior and oral health belief of transportation workers. The subjects in this study were 270 selected taxi drivers who engaged in the taxi transportation industry in Jeollabuk-do. They were selected by convenience sampling. To determine the influence of their general characteristics and oral health belief on scaling experience and oral health education experience, a logistic regression analysis was made. And a multiple regression analysis was made by selecting general characteristics and oral health behavior as independent variables and by selecting oral health belief as a dependent variable. A statistical package SPSS for Windows ver. 12.0 was employed to make all the statistical analysis. As a result of making the logistic regression analysis, benefit that was one of the subfactors of oral health belief had something to do with oral health education experience, and the subfactors that exerted an influence on scaling experience were benefit, susceptibility and barrier. When the multiple regression analysis was carried out to find out influential factors for oral health belief, monthly mean income had an impact on susceptibility and barrier among the subfactors of oral health belief, and self-rated oral health status affected seriousness and barrier. There were differences among the taxi drivers in oral health belief according to their own characteristics, and oral health belief was linked to oral health behavior. Therefore oral health belief and oral health behavior should be taken into account when it's planned to promote the oral health of taxi drivers.
Health belief model;Oral health behavior;Oral health belief;Taxi driver
- Daily Pharm: National Health Insurance Service. Retrieved February 13, 2013, http://m.dailypharm.com/newsView.html?ID=167289(2013, February 13).
- Jung JO, Bae SM, Song KS: Research into some company workers' awareness of the hygiene of the month and their practice of it. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 21-27, 2008.
- Im ES, Choi SH: A study on the relationships between job stress, social support and job satisfaction of taxi drivers. J Korean Public Health Nurs 26: 195-203, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2012.26.2.195
- Ministry of Employment and Labor: Survey report on labor conditions by employment type. Ministry of Employment and Labor, Sejong, pp.56-90, 2011.
- An OH, Jung HK, Park YJ: Influential factors on health behavior of the middle and elderly generations in a rural community. J Korean Soc Health Educ Promot 22: 33-46, 2005.
- Jeong SH: Strengthening strategies of oral health program throughout lifecycle. Gangneung-Wonju National University, Gangneung, pp.1-273, 2007.
- Lee HS: Factors affecting dental utilization of women: an application of the Andersen-Newman model. J Korean Acad Dent Health 18: 513-525, 1994.
- Kim YI, Kim SL, Jung HS, Kim SY, Park HJ: Workers' health belief in health promotion programs and related factors. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 20: 465-473, 2009.
- Lee HS: Factors affecting mothers' utilization of dental service: an application of the health belief model. J Korean Acad Dent Health 27: 399-413, 2003.
- Rosenstock IM, Strecher VJ, Becker M: Social leaning theory and the health belief model. Health Educ Q 15: 175-183, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1177/109019818801500203
- Kegeles SS: Some change required to increase the public's utilization of preventive dentistry. J Pub Health Dent 28: 19-26, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.1968.tb03923.x
- Lee HS, Kim GS: Oral health behavior of economically active women in Chollabuck Do Republic of Korea: 2. oral preventive behavior. J Korean Acad Dent Health 23: 287-299, 1999.
- Kong MS, Lee HS, Kim SN: Influencing factors on mothers' oral health behaviors. J Korean Acad Dent Health 20: 31-53, 1996.
- Tash RH, O Shea RM, Cohen LK: Testing a preventivesymptomatic theory of dental health behavior. Am J Public Health Nation Health 59: 514-521, 1969. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.59.3.514
- Chen MS: Children's preventive dental behavior in relation to their mother's socioeconomic status, health beliefs and dental behaviors. J Dent Child 53: 105-109, 1986.
- Broadbent JM, Thomson WM, Poulton R. Oral health beliefs in adolescence and oral health in young adulthood. J Dent Res 85: 339-343, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/154405910608500411
- Ministry of Health and Welfare: Analysis of Korea National Oral Health Survey 2010. Ministry of Health and Welfare, Sejong, pp.10-22, 2010.
- Jo HS, Kim CB, Lee HW, Jung HJ: A meta-analysis of health related behavior study based on health belief model in Korean. Korean J Health Psychol 9: 69-84, 2004.
- Kim MS: A study on the relationship between job stress and health promoting behavior among university hospital nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 10: 153-163, 2001.
- Song Y, Lee KS: The factors influencing Korean health behavior. J Korean Acad Nurs 36: 334-340, 2006.
- Song JR, Oh HW, Lee HS: Workers' oral health behaviors and need for education in Iksan city. J Korean Acad Dent Health 31: 91-102, 2007.
- Choi MH, Oh HY, Lee HS: A comparative study on the oral health behaviors between medical and non-medical workers. J Korean Acad Dent Health 33: 552-563, 2009.
- Kim EJ: A study on the belief and the behavior in dental health: focused on in-hospital patients. Unpublished master degree dissertation, Dankook University, Yongin, 2001.
- Park MS: The effect of oral health behavior by oral health belief of student in dental hygiene department of college students in Seoul. J Dent Hyg Sci 11: 107-119, 2011.
- Siddall LA: Relationships of age, osteoporosis knowledge, self-efficacy and health beliefs in adult women. Unpublished master's thesis, Clarkson College, Nebraska, 1996.
- Jang BJ: Study on relation between dental health beliefs and dental health behavior in the high grade students of elementary school. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 163-168, 2008.
- Park KJ, Park CH, Kim MO: Belief, knowledge, and practice about oral health care of middle-aged women. Korean J Women Health Nurs 15: 130-139, 2009. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.130
- Lee HN, Jo MJ: Dental health promotion behavior and dental health belief of dental hygiene students in Gwangju.Chunnam. J Dent Hyg Sci 4: 75-80, 2004.
- Choi SS, Kim SD, Ryu HK: A study on the oral-health belief and oral-health behavior of some twenties in Busan and Gyeongnam province. J Dent Hyg Sci 12: 85-96, 2010.
- The Influence of Health Belief on Fall Prevention Behavior among Patients Who Experienced Abdominal Surgeries vol.25, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.7739/jkafn.2018.25.3.155