- Volume 15 Issue 4
A recent report showed that nuclear factor of activated T cell (NFATc) 1 is a member of the NFAT family and is strictly implicated osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Furthermore, the precise expression and function of NFATc1 in periodontal tissue remains unclear. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to investigate the function of NFATc1 in osteoblastic differentiation, and the underlying mechanism regulating periodontal regeneration in human periodontal ligament cells (hPDLCs). NFATc1 messenger RNA (mRNA) and protein levels were accessed by reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) and western blot assay, respectively. Cell proliferation determined using MTT assay. Differentiation was evaluated by alkaline phosphatase activity and formation of calcium nodule with alizarin red S staining. The mRNA expression of osteoblastic differentiation related genes were examined by RT-PCR. Marked upregulation of NFATc1 mRNA and protein was observed in cells grown in osteogenic medium (OS). NFATc1 transactivation was detected in hPDLCs that had been incubated in OS for 14 days. Treatment with
NFATc1 transcription factor;Osteoblastic differentiation;Periodontal ligament cells
- Dereka XE, Markopoulou CE, Vrotsos IA: Role of growth factors on periodontal repair. Growth Factors 24: 260-267, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/08977190601060990
- Bartold PM, McCulloch CA, Narayanan AS, Pitaru S: Tissue engineering: a new paradigm for periodontal regeneration based on molecular and cell biology. Periodontol 24: 253-269, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0757.2000.2240113.x
- Kim SI, Jeong MJ, Ahn YS, Kim AR, Kim MN, Lim DS: Antimicrobial effect of commercially available mouth rinsing solutions and natural herbal extracts on Streptococcus mutans. J Dent Hyg Sci 15: 308-317, 2015. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.3.308
- Park JY, Kim HS, Kook JK: Antimicrobial effect of (-)-epigalocatechin on Fusobacterium nucleatum, Prevotella intermedia and Porphyromonas gingivalis. J Dent Hyg Sci 10: 161-165, 2010.
- Isaka J, Ohazama A, Kobayashi M, et al.: Participation of periodontal ligament cells with regeneration of alveolar bone. J Periodontol 72: 314-323, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2001.72.3.314
- Hayami T, Zhang Q, Kapila Y, Kapila S: Dexamethasone's enhancement of osteoblastic markers in human periodontal ligament cells is associated with inhibition of collagenase expression. Bone 40: 93-104, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2006.07.003
- McCulloch CA, Lekic P, McKee MD: Role of physical forces in regulating the form and function of the periodontal ligament. Periodontal 2000 24: 56-72, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0757.2000.2240104.x
- Beertsen W, McCulloch CA, Sodek J: The periodontal ligament: a unique, multifunctional connective tissue. Periodontol 2000 13: 20-40, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.1997.tb00094.x
- Shaw JP, Utz PJ, Durand DB, Toole JJ, Emmel EA, Crabtree GR: Identification of a putative regulator of early T cell activation genes. Science 241: 202-205, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.3260404
- Miyakawa H, Woo SK, Dahl SC, Handler JS, Kwon HM: Tonicity-responsive enhancer binding protein, a rel-like protein that stimulates transcription in response to hypertonicity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96: 2538-2542, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.5.2538
- Beals CR, Clipstone NA, Ho SN, Crabtree GR: Nuclear localization of NF-ATc by a calcineurin-dependent, cyclosporin-sensitive intramolecular interaction. Genes Dev 11: 824-834, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.11.7.824
- Crabtree GR, Olson EN: NFAT signaling: choreographing the social lives of cells. Cell Suppl 109: S67-S79, 2002.
- Peng SL, Gerth AJ, Ranger AM, Glimcher LH: NFATc1 and NFATc2 together control both T and B cell activation and differentiation. Immunity 14: 13-20, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1074-7613(01)00085-1
- Chang CP, Neilson JR, Bayle JH, et al.: A field of myocardial-endocardial NFAT signaling underlies heart valve morphogenesis. Cell 118: 649-663, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2004.08.010
- Graef IA, Chen F, Chen L, KuoA, Crabtree GR: Signals transduced by Ca(2+)/calcineurin and NFATc3/c4 pattern the developing vasculature. Cell 105: 863-875, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(01)00396-8
- Graef IA, Wang F, Charron F, et al.: Neurotrophins and netrins require calcineurin/NFAT signaling to stimulate outgrowth of embryonic axons. Cell 113: 657-670, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0092-8674(03)00390-8
- Ranger AM, Gerstenfeld LC, Wang J, et al.: The nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT) transcription factor NFATp (NFATc2) is a repressor of chondrogenesis. J Exp Med 191: 9-22, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.191.1.9
- Takayanagi H: The role of NFAT in osteoclast formation. Ann NY Acad Sci 1116: 227-237, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1402.071
- Koga T, Matsui Y, Asagiri M, et al.: NFAT and Osterix cooperatively regulate bone formation. Nat Med 11: 880-885, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1038/nm1270
- Rodino MA, Shane E: Osteoporosis after organ transplantation. Am J Med 104: 459-469, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9343(98)00081-3
- Zayzafoon M: Inhibition of NFAT increases osteoblast differentiation by increasing Fra-2 expression. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 5: 347, 2005.
- Yeo H, Beck LH, McDonald JM, Zayzafoon M: Cyclosporin A elicits dose-dependent biphasic effects on osteoblast differentiation and bone formation. Bone 40: 1502-1516, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2007.02.017
- Kitagawa M, Kudo Y, Iizuka S, et al.: Effect of F-spondin on cementoblastic differentiation of human periodontal ligament cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 349: 1050-1056, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbrc.2006.08.142
- Lee HJ, Han SY: Role of lysyl oxidase family during odontoblastic differentiation of human dental pulp cells induced with odontogenic supplement. J Dent Hyg Sci 13: 296-303, 2013.
- Stein GS, Lian JB, Owen TA: Relationship of cell growth to the regulation of tissue-specific gene expression during osteoblast differentiation. FASEB J 4: 3111-3123, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1096/fasebj.4.13.2210157
- Jaiswal N, Haynesworth SE, Caplan AI, Bruder SP: Osteogenic differentiation of purified, culture-expanded human mesenchymal stem cells in vitro. J Cell Biochem 64: 295-312, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4644(199702)64:2<295::AID-JCB12>3.0.CO;2-I
- Lian JB, Shalhoub V, Aslam F, et al.: Species-specific glucocorticoid and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D responsiveness in mouse MC3T3-E1 osteoblasts: dexamethasone inhibits osteoblast differentiation and vitamin D down-regulates osteocalcin gene expression. Endocrinology 138: 2117-2127, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1210/endo.138.5.5117
- Inanc B, Elcin AE, Elcin YM: Osteogenic induction of human periodontal ligament fibroblasts under two- and threedimensional culture conditions. Tissue Eng 12: 257-266, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1089/ten.2006.12.257
- Kim JM, Lee SU, Kim YS, Min YK, Kim SH: Baicalein stimulates osteoblast differentiation via coordinating activation of MAP kinases and transcription factors. J Cell Biochem 104: 1906-1917, 2008.
- Fromigue O, Hay E, Barbara A, Marie PJ: Essential role of nuclear factor of activated T cells (NFAT)-mediated Wnt signaling in osteoblast differentiation induced by strontium ranelate. J Biol Chem 285: 25251-25258, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M110.110502
- Orcel P, Bielakoff J, Modrowski D, Miravet L, de Vernejoul MC: Cyclosporin A induces in vivo inhibition of resorption and stimulation of formation in rat bone. J Bone Miner Res 4: 387-391, 1989.
- Tang L, Ebara S, Kawasaki S, Wakabayashi S, Nikaido T, Takaoka K: FK506 enhanced osteoblastic differentiation in mesenchymal cells. Cell Biol Int 26: 75-84, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1006/cbir.2001.0812
- Erben RG, Stangassinger M, Gartner R: Skeletal effects of low-dose cyclosporin A in aged male rats: lack of relationship to serum testosterone levels. J Bone Miner Res 13: 79-87, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1359/jbmr.19188.8.131.52
- Sesler CL, Zayzafoon M: NFAT signaling in osteoblasts regulates the hematopoietic niche in the bone microenvironment. Clin Dev Immunol 2013: 107321, 2013.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)