- Volume 15 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Association between Oral Health Status and Health Related Quality of Life (EuroQoL-5 Dimension)
성인의 구강건강 상태와 건강관련 삶의 질 관련성: EuroQoL-5 Dimension 구성요소를 중심으로
- Choi, Eun Sil (BK21 PLUS Program in Embodiment: Health-Society Interaction, Department of Public Health Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Lyu, Jiyoung (BK21 PLUS Program in Embodiment: Health-Society Interaction, Department of Public Health Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University) ;
- Kim, Hae-Young (BK21 PLUS Program in Embodiment: Health-Society Interaction, Department of Public Health Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University)
- 최은실 (고려대학교 대학원 보건과학과 BK21+인간생명-사회환경 상호작용 융합사업단) ;
- 유지영 (고려대학교 대학원 보건과학과 BK21+인간생명-사회환경 상호작용 융합사업단) ;
- 김혜영 (고려대학교 대학원 보건과학과 BK21+인간생명-사회환경 상호작용 융합사업단)
- Received : 2015.06.25
- Accepted : 2015.07.29
- Published : 2015.08.30
The purpose of this study was to examine the association between oral health status and health related quality of life (HRQoL). The study used a nationally representative sample of Koreans (2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey) aged 19~64 years (n=3,252). Dependent variable was HRQoL, which was assessed with each component of EuroQol-5 dimension (EQ5D). Independent variable was oral health status (oral pain, chewing problem, speaking problem, and perceived oral health). After adjustment for confounders (socio-demographic factors, oral health behaviors, health behaviors, and physical conditions), the risk of having poor HRQoL was greater in adults with poor oral health status. The odds ratio (OR) of having pain/discomfort were 1.50 (95% confidence interval [CI], 1.22~1.86) for respondents with oral pain, 1.72 (95% CI, 1.33~ 2.22) for respondents with chewing problem, 1.79 (95% CI, 1.22~2.62) for respondents with speaking problem, and 1.36 (95% CI, 1.09~1.70) for respondents with poor perceived oral health. The OR of having anxiety/depression were 1.74 (95% CI, 1.28~2.38) when having a chewing problem, 1.72 (95% CI, 1.12~2.64) when having a speaking problem, and 1.54 (95% CI, 1.14~2.08) when rating his/her oral health poor. Among Korean adults, two of the EQ5D components were associated with oral health status. Future study is needed to examine the detailed causal relations between oral health status and HRQoL longitudinally.
Adult;Oral health;Quality of life
- Wilson IB, Cleary PD: Linking clinical variables with health-related quality of life: a conceptual model of patient outcomes. JAMA 27: 59-65, 1995.
- Won HJ: A policy study on optimal aging of the Korean female elderly. KAPESGW 19: 79-96, 2005.
- EuroQol Group: EuroQol-a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy 16: 199-208, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-8510(90)90421-9
- Kang EJ, Shin HS, Park HJ, Jo MW, Kim NY: A valuation of health status using EQ-5D. J Prev Med Public Health 12: 19-43, 2006.
- Lee Yh, Choi JS, Rhee JA, Ryu SY, Shin MH, Kim JH: A study on the application of the Korean valuation weights for EuroQoL-5 dimension. Korean J Health Educ Promot 26: 1-13, 2009.
- Cushing AM, Sheiham A, Maizels J: Developing sociodental indicators-the social impact of dental disease. Community Dental Health 3: 3-17, 1986.
- Reisine ST: Dental disease and work loss. J Dent Res 63: 1158-1161, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1177/00220345840630091301
- Locker D, Slade G: Association between clinical and subjective indicators of oral health status in an older adult population. Gerodontology 11: 108-114, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1741-2358.1994.tb00116.x
- Slavkin HC, Baum BJ: Relationship of dental and oral pathology to systemic illness. JAMA 284: 1215-1217, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.284.10.1215
- Grossi SG, Genco RJ: Periodontal disease and diabetes mellitus: a two-way relationship. Ann Periodontol 3: 51-61, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1902/annals.19220.127.116.11
- Scannapieco FA: Position paper of The American Academy of Periodontology: periodontal disease as apotential risk factor for systemic diseases. J Periodontol 69: 841-850, 1998.
- Choi YH, Kang DR, Song KB, Jeong SH: The association of dental status with general health by ART algorithms. J Korean Acad Oral Health 28: 177-188, 2004.
- Choi YH, Suh I, Nam JM, Oh DK, Son HK, Kwon HK: Associations of missing teeth with medical status. J Korean Acad Oral Health 26: 169-180, 2002.
- Reisine ST, Fertig J, Weber J, Leder S: Impact of dental conditions on patients' quality of life. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 17: 7-10, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1989.tb01816.x
- Lobbezoo F, Visscher CM, Naeije M: Impaired health status, sleep disorders, and pain in the craniomandibular and cervical spinal regions. Euro J Pain 8: 23-30, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1090-3801(03)00061-2
- Sandberg GE, Wikblad KF: Oral health and health-related quality of life in type 2 diabetic patients and non-diabetic controls. Acta Odontol Scand 61: 141-148, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/00016350310002559
- Allen PF, McMillan AS, Walshaw D, Locker D: A comparison of the validity of generic- and disease-specific measures in the assessment of oral health-related quality of life. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 27: 344-352, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1999.tb02031.x
- Broder HL, Slade G, Caine R, Reisine S: Perceived impact of oral health conditions among minority adolescents. J Public Health Dent 60: 189-192, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-7325.2000.tb03326.x
- Heydecke G, Locker D, Awad MA, Lund JP, Feine JS: Oral and general health-related quality of life with conventional and implant dentures. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 31: 161-168, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0528.2003.00029.x
- Kandelman D, Petersen PE, Ueda H: Oral health, general health, and quality of life in older people. Spec Care Dentist 28: 224-236, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1754-4505.2008.00045.x
- Fontanive V, Abegg C, Tsakos G, Oliveira M: The association between clinical oral health and general quality of life: a population-based study of individuals aged 5074 in Southern Brazil. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 41: 154-162, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2012.00742.x
- Sonoyama W, Kuboki T, Okamoto S, et al.: Quality of life assessment in patients with implant-supported and resinbonded fixed prosthesis for bounded edentulous spaces. Clin Oral Implant Res 13: 359-364, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1600-0501.2002.130403.x
- Sim SJ: Association between oral health status and perceived general health (EuroQol-5D). J Dent Hyg Sci 14: 364-370, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2014.14.3.364
- Kim JH, Kang SH, Jeong MA: Assessment on quality of life: based on oral health conditions. KAIS 11: 4873-4880, 2010.
- Lee HO, Kim J: Effects of elder' oral health beliefs and oral health behaviors on their quality of life. J Dent Hyg Sci 8: 57-63, 2008.
- Lee HS, Kim CM: Effects of oral health impact profile (OHIP) on depression and quality of life among community-dwelling Korean elderly persons. J Korean Acad Community Health Nurs 23: 338-346, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2012.23.3.338
- Park ES, Choi JS: The effect of health status on general quality of life and oral health related quality of life in the middle-aged adults. J Dent Hyg Sci 12: 624-633, 2012.
- Back JU: The effect of oral health on total health and quality of life between Korean and Japanese. KPHR 38: 81-98, 2012.
- Jang SA: Effects of stress and depression on oral health status of middle aged population in Korea. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul, 2014.
- Periodontal Disease and Health Related Quality of Life (HRQoL) in Pregnant Women vol.22, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2016.22.4.191
- Association between the number of existing permanent teeth and health-related quality of life (EuroQol-5 Dimension) among adults: findings from the fifth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Surveys, 2012 vol.39, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2015.39.4.303
- The Effect of Subjective Xerostomia and Salivary pH in Salivary Glands Stimulated by Laughter Therapy in Frail Elderly Women vol.27, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2016.27.1.72
- Measurement of oral health related with quality of life using EQ-5D and OHIP-14 vol.42, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2018.42.2.27