- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Relationship between Spiritual Health and Quality of Life in Patients with Cancer
- Mohebbifar, Rafat (Department of Health Management, School of Health, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Pakpour, Amir H (Social Determinants of Health Research Center (SDH), Qazvin University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Nahvijou, Azin (Cancer Research Center, Cancer Institute of Iran, Tehran University of Medical Science) ;
- Sadeghi, Atefeh (Social Determinants of Health Research Center (SDH), Qazvin University of Medical Sciences)
- 발행 : 2015.11.04
As the essence of health in humans, spiritual health is a fundamental concept for discussing chronic diseases such as cancer and a major approach for improving quality of life in patients is through creating meaningfulness and purpose. The present descriptive analytical study was conducted to assess the relationship between spiritual health and quality of life in 210 patients with cancer admitted to the Cancer Institute of Iran, selected through convenience sampling in 2014. Data were collected using Spiritual Health Questionnaire and the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Quality of Life Questionnaire (EORTC-QLQ). Patients' performance was assessed through the Karnofsky Performance Status Indicator and their cognitive status through the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE). Data were analyzed in SPSS-16 using descriptive statistics and stepwise linear regression. The results obtained reported the mean and standard deviation of the patients' spiritual health scoreas
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, et al (1993). The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: a quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Nat Cancer Institute, 85, 365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Abu-Helalah MA, Alshraideh HA, Al-Hanaqta MM, et al (2014). Quality of life and psychological well-being of colorectal cancer survivors in Jordan. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 7653-64. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.18.7653
- Akyuz A, Guvenc G, Ustunsoz A, et al (2008). Living with gynecologic cancer: experience of women and their partners. J Nurs Scholarsh, 40, 241-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1547-5069.2008.00232.x
- Allahbakhshian M, Jaffarpour M, Parvizy S, et al (2010). A Survey on relationship between spiritual wellbeing and quality of life in multiple sclerosis patients. Zahedan J Res Med Sci, 12, 29-33.
- Arndt V, Merx H, Stegmaier C, et al (2004). Quality of life in patients with colorectal cancer 1 year after diagnosis compared with the general population: a population-based study. J Clin Oncol, 22, 4829-36. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.02.018
- Baider L, Ever-Hadani P, Goldzweig G, et al (2003). Is perceived family support a relevant variable in psychological distress?. A sample of prostate and breast cancer couples. J Psychosom Res, 55, 453-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(03)00502-6
- Baljani E, Kazemi M, Amanpour E, et al (2011). A survey on relationship between religion, spiritual wellbeing, hope and quality of life in patients with cancer. J Nurs Midwifery, Mashhad, 1, 51-62.
- Bekelman DB, Dy SM, Becker DM, et al (2007). Spiritual wellbeing and depression in patients with heart failure. J General Internal Med, 22, 470-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-006-0044-9
- Blazeby J, Conroy T, Hammerlid E, et al (2003). Clinical and psychometric validation of an EORTC questionnaire module, the EORTC QLQ-OES18, to assess quality of life in patients with oesophageal cancer. European Journal of Cancer, 39, 1384-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00270-3
- Bordonaro S, Vizzini L, Spinnato F, et al (2014). Oral chemotherapy in elderly patients with advanced non small cell lung carcinoma. WCRJ, 1, 223.
- Bottomley A (2002). The cancer patient and quality of life. Oncologist, 7, 120-5. https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.7-2-120
- Burns A LB, Craig S 1999. Assessment scales in old age psychiatry, Martin Dunitz.
- Finkelstein FO, West W, Gobin J, et al (2007). Spirituality, quality of life and the dialysis patient. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 22, 2432-4. https://doi.org/10.1093/ndt/gfm215
- Gundy CM, Fayers PM, Groenvold M, et al (2012). Comparing higher order models for the EORTC QLQ-C30. Quality of Life Research, 21, 1607-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-011-0082-6
- Jafari N, Farajzadegan Z, Zamani A, et al (2013). Spiritual well-being and quality of life in Iranian women with breast cancer undergoing radiation therapy. Support Care Cancer, 21, 1219-25. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-012-1650-1
- Jahani A, Rejeh N, Heravi-Karimooi M, et al (2012). The Relationship Between Spiritual Health and Quality of Life in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Islamic Lifestyle Centered on Health, 1, 19-24.
- Kandasamy A, Chaturvedi SK, Desai G (2011). Spirituality, distress, depression, anxiety, and quality of life in patients with advanced cancer. Indian J Cancer, 48, 55-9. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.75828
- Kobayashi K, Morita S, Shimonagayoshi M, et al (2008). Effects of socioeconomic factors and cancer survivors' worries on their quality of life (QOL) in Japan. Psychooncology, 17, 606-11. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1278
- Lucchetti G, Almeida LG, Granero AL (2010). [Spirituality for dialysis patients: should the nephrologist address?]. J Bras Nefrol, 32, 126-30.
- Manandhar S, Shrestha DS, Taechaboonsermsk P, et al (2014). Quality of life among breast cancer patients undergoing treatment in national cancer centers in Nepal. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9753-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9753
- Mauk KL, Schmidt NA 2004. Spiritual care in nursing practice, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- McClain CS, Rosenfeld B, Breitbart W (2003). Effect of spiritual well-being on end-of-life despair in terminally-ill cancer patients. The Lancet, 361, 1603-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13310-7
- Montazeri A, Harirchi I, Vahdani M, et al (1999). The european organization for research and treatment of cancer quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30): translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Supportive Care in Cancer, 7, 400-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s005200050300
- Mousavi SM, Gouya MM, Ramazani R, et al (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Musarezaie A, Naji Esfahani H, Momeni GHaleghasemi T, et al (2012). The relationship between spiritual wellbeing and stress, anxiety, and depression in patients with breast cancer. Isfahan Medical School, 30.
- Natrah M, Ezat SW, Syed M, et al (2012). Quality of life in Malaysian colorectal cancer patients: a preliminary result. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 957-62. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.3.957
- O'Connor M, Guilfoyle A, Breen L, et al (2007). Mental health, religion and culture, 10, 631-47. https://doi.org/10.1080/13674670601078221
- Pakpour HAA, Panahi CD, Yekaninezhad S, et al (2009). Assessment of quality of life in patient with esophagus cancer. J Iranian Institute Health Sci Res, 8, 371-8.
- Paloutzian RF, Park CL, Paloutzian R, et al (2005). Integrative themes in the current science of the psychology of religion. Handbook of the psychology of religion and spirituality, 3-20.
- Polonsky WH (2000). Understanding and assessing diabetesspecific quality of life. Diabetes spectrum, 13, 36.
- Ramezankhani A, Ghaedi M, Hatami H, et al (2014). Association between spiritual health and quality of life in patients with type 2 diabetes in Bandar Abbas, Iran. Bimonthly Journal of Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences, 18, 229-37.
- Reb AM (2007). Transforming the death sentence: elements of hope in women with advanced ovarian cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 34, 70-81. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.70-78
- Rezaei M, Seyed Fatemi N, Hoseini F (2008). Spiritual wellbeing in Cancer Patients who undergo chemotherapy. Hayat, 14, 33-9.
- Riley BB, Perna R, Tate DG, et al (1998). Types of spiritual well-being among persons with chronic illness: their relation to various forms of quality of life. Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 79, 258-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9993(98)90004-1
- Rose P, Yates P (2001). Quality of life experienced by patients receiving radiation treatment for cancers of the head and neck. Cancer Nurs, 24, 255-63. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200108000-00002
- Rustoen T, Cooper B, Miaskowski C (2010). The importance of hope as a mediator of psychological distress and life satisfaction in a community sample of cancer patients. Cancer Nurs, 33, 258-67. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181d6fb61
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A (2015). Cancer statistics, 2015. CA: A Cancer J Clin, 65, 5-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21254
- Taheri Kharame Z, Asayesh H, Zamanian H, et al (2013). Spiritual well-being and religious coping strategies among hemodialysis patients. IJPN, 1, 48-54.
- Torre LA, Bray F, Siegel RL, et al (2015). Global cancer statistics, 2012. CA: A Cancer J Clin, 65, 87-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21262
- Vrinten C, van Jaarsveld CH, Waller J, et al (2014). The structure and demographic correlates of cancer fear. BMC cancer, 14, 597. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-597
- Whitford HS, Olver IN, Peterson MJ (2008). Spirituality as a core domain in the assessment of quality of life in oncology. Psycho-Oncology, 17, 1121-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1322
- Quality-of-life and spirituality vol.29, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1080/09540261.2017.1285553