- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Quantitative Analysis of Enlarged Cervical Lymph Nodes with Ultrasound Elastography
- Zhang, Jun-Peng (Department of Ultrasonography, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University) ;
- Liu, Hua-Yan (Department of Ultrasonography, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University) ;
- Ning, Chun-Ping (Department of Ultrasonography, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University) ;
- Chong, Jing (Department of Ultrasonography, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University) ;
- Sun, Yong-Mei (Department of Ultrasonography, the Affiliated Hospital of Qingdao University)
- Published : 2015.11.04
Purpsoe: To investigate the diagnostic value of quantitative analysis of a tissue diffusion and virtual touch tissue imaging quantification (VTIQ) technique with acoustic radiation force impulse (ARFI) elastography for assessing enlarged cervical lymph nodes. Materials and Methods: Fifty-six enlarged cervical lymph nodes confirmed by pathologic diagnoses were covered in the study. According to the results of pathologic diagnosis, patients were classified into benign and malignant groups. All the patients were examined by both conventional ultrasonography and elastography. AREA% and shear wave velocity (SWV) in ROI of different groups were calculated and compared using ROC curves. Cut-off points of AREA% and SWV were determined with receiver operating characteristic curves. Results: Final histopathological results revealed 21 cases of benign and 35 cases of malignant lymph nodes. The mean values of AREA% and SWV in benign and malignant groups were
Elasticity imaging techniques;virtual touch tissue imaging;lymphadenopathy
- Bhatia KS, Cho CC, Yuen YH, et al (2010). Real-time qualitative ultrasound elastography of cervical lymph nodes in routine clinical practice: interobserver agreement and correlation with malignancy. Ultrasound Med Biol, 36, 1990-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2010.08.016
- Cosgrove D, Piscaglia F, Bamber J, et al (2013). EFSUMB guidelines and recommendations on the clinical use of ultrasound elastography. Part 2: Clinical applications. Ultraschall Med, 34, 238-53. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0033-1335375
- Dudea SM (2013). Differentiating benign from malignant superficial lymph nodes with sonoelastography. Med Ultrasonography, 15, 132-9. https://doi.org/10.11152/mu.2013.2066.152.smd1cbj2
- Dawood HA, Hassan TA, Mohey N (2014). Value of combined real time sonoelastography and apparent diffusion coefficient value measurement in differentiation of enlarged neck lymph nodes. Egyptian J Radiol Nuclear Med, 45, 387-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrnm.2014.01.014
- Fodor D (2013). The utility of elastography and CEUS for the differentiation between benign and malignant cervical lymphadenopaty. Three cases report. Med Ultrasonography, 15, 63-6. https://doi.org/10.11152/mu.2013.2066.151.df1uec2
- Fujiwara T, Tomokuni J, Iwanaga K, et al (2013). Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging for reactive and malignant/metastatic cervical lymph nodes. Ultrasound Med Biol, 39, 1178-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.02.001
- Fu Y, Shi Y-F, Yan K, et al (2014). Clinical Value of Real Time Elastography in Patients with Unexplained Cervical Lymphadenopathy: Quantitative Evaluation. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 5487-92. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.13.5487
- Fang Sb, Wang YY, Ning CP, et al (2015). Value of quantitative study of tissue diffusion for assessment of hardness of thyroid tissue in patients with hashimoto thyroiditis of different functional statu. pdf. Acta Acad Med Qingdao Universitatis, 51, 8-10.
- Golatta M, Schweitzer-Martin M, Harcos A, et al (2014). Evaluation of virtual touch tissue imaging quantification, a new shear wave velocity imaging method, for breast lesion assessment by ultrasound. Biomed Res Int, 960962,1-7.
- Hefeda MM, Badawy ME (2014). Can ultrasound elastography distinguish metastatic from reactive lymph nodes in patients with primary head and neck cancers? Egyptian J Radiol Nuclear Med, 45, 715-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrnm.2014.04.019
- Han R, Li F, Wang Y, et al (2015). Virtual touch tissue quantification (VTQ) in the diagnosis of thyroid nodules with coexistent chronic autoimmune Hashimoto's thyroiditis: a preliminary study. Eur J Radiol, 84, 327-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2014.11.005
- Kau RJ, Alexiou C, Stimmer H, et al (2000). Diagnostic procedures for detection of lymph node metastases in cancer of the larynx. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec, 62, 199-203. https://doi.org/10.1159/000027746
- Klotz T, Boussion V, Kwiatkowski F, et al (2014). Shear wave elastography contribution in ultrasound diagnosis management of breast lesions. Diagn Interv Imaging, 95, 813-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diii.2014.04.015
- Lanculescu V, Ciolovan LM, Dunant A, et al (2014). Added value of Virtual Touch IQ shear wave elastography in the ultrasound assessment of breast lesions. Eur J Radiol, 83, 773-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejrad.2014.01.021
- Lo WC, Liao LJ (2014). Comparison of Two Elasticity Scoring Systems in the Assessment of the Cervical Lymph Nodes. J Med Ultrasound, 22, 140-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmu.2014.05.003
- Ma B, Jia Y, Wang Q, et al (2014). Ultrasound of primary thyroid non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Clin Imaging, 38, 621-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinimag.2012.04.024
- Okash HH, Mansour M, Attia KA, et al (2014). Role of high resolution ultrasound/endosonography and elastography in predicting lymph node malignancy. Endosc Ultrasound, 3, 58-62. https://doi.org/10.4103/2303-9027.121252
- Reddy DL,Venter WD,Pather S (2015). Patterns of Lymph Node Pathology; Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy as an Evaluation Tool for Lymphadenopathy: A Retrospective Descriptive Study Conducted at the Largest Hospital in Africa. PLoS One, 10, 130-48.
- Shi Y,Wang XH,Zhang HH, et al (2014). Quantitative analysis of real-time tissue elastography for evaluation of liver fibrosis. pdf. Int J Clin Exp Med, 7, 1014-21.
- Tan R, Xiao Y, He Q (2010). Ultrasound elastography: Its potential role in assessment of cervical lymphadenopathy. Acad Radiol, 17, 849-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acra.2010.03.014
- Teng DK,Wang H,Lin YQ,et al (2012). Value of Ultrasound Elastography in Assessment of Enlarged Cervical Lymph Nodes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2081-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.5.2081
- Takashi M, Masahiro S, Satoshi S, et al (2015). Stiffness of salivary gland and tumor measured by new ultrasonic techniques Virtual touch quantification and IQ. pdf. Auris Nasus Larynx, 42, 128-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anl.2014.08.021
- Tang L, Xu HX, Li JW,et al (2015). Novel technique of virtual touch tissue imaging quantification shear wave elastography in differential diagnosis of thyroid nodules: initial experience. Chin J Med Ultrasound, 12, 241-6.
- Zhang GC,Li JL,Cao BS, et al (2013). Ultrasound characteristic of cervical tuberculous lymphadenitis correlating with pathology. Chinese J Ultrasound Med, 29, 879-82.
- Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Imaging for the Differentiation of Benign and Malignant Lymph Nodes: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.11, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0166716
- The diagnostic performance of shear wave elastography for malignant cervical lymph nodes: A systematic review and meta-analysis vol.27, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-016-4378-3
- Clinical value of the VTIQ technology in the differential diagnosis of superficially enlarged lymph nodes pp.1600-0455, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/0284185117732601