- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Incidence, Trends and Epidemiology of Cancers in North West of Iran
- Zahedi, Atefeh (Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Faculty of Health, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Rafiemanesh, Hosein (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Enayatrad, Mostafa (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Ghoncheh, Mahshid (Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Public Health, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Salehiniya, Hamid (Minimally Invasive Surgery Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.11.04
Background: Cancer is a leading cause of death throughout the world. Increasing life expectancy and aging population are important factors for increasing cancer incidences in developing countries. National programs are essential for prevention and control of cancer in any society. This study aimed to investigate cancer epidemiology and trends in the province of Hamadan, located in Northwest Iran. Materials and Methods: This analytical study was carried out based on cancer registry data from 2004 to 2009 in the province of Hamadan, analyzed using STATA (version 12) software for descriptive tests and Join point 126.96.36.199 software for analytical tests. Results: There were 7,767 registered cases of cancer during the 6 years studied. Of the total cases registered, 59.1% (4,592 cases) involved men and 40.9% (3,175 cases) occurred in women. Age-standardized incidence rates (ASR) increased from 72.9 to 132.0 in males and 48.2 to 115.0 in females during the 6 years of the study (p<0.001). The most common cancers were skin, stomach, breast, bladder, and leukemia. In women, teh most common were breast, skin, stomach, colorectal, and leukemia, in that order, and in men skin, stomach, bladder, leukemia, and prostate cancers. Conclusions: The cancer incidence is greater in men that women in this region but with increasing trends in both sexes. Planning regarding education in prevention of exposure to risk factors and control strategies is required to decrease the incident cases. Screening programs for common cancers in older age groups might be helpful to reduce the disease impact.
- Almasi Z, Rafiemanesh H, Salehiniya H (2015). Epidemiology characteristics and trends of incidence and morphology of stomach cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2757-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2757
- Bryere J DO, Bouvier V, Colonna M, Guizard A-V, Troussard X, et al (2014). Socioeconomic environment and cancer incidence: a French population-based study in Normandy. BMC Cancer, 14, 87. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-14-87
- Chen W ZR, Zhang S, Zhao P, Li G, Wu L, et al (2013). The incidences and mortalities of major cancers in China, 2009. Chinese J Cancer, 32, 106-12. https://doi.org/10.5732/cjc.013.10018
- Enayatrad M SH (2015). An investigation of changing patterns in breast cancer incidence trends among Iranian women. Quarterly J Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences, 22, 27-35.
- Fateh M EM ( 2013). Cancer incidence and trend analysis in Shahroud, Iran, 2000-2010. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 6, 85-94.
- Ferlay J, Steliarova-Foucher E (2010). Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008. European J Cancer, 46, 765-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2009.12.014
- Ferlay J S-FE, Lortet-Tieulent J, Rosso S, et al ( 2013). Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: Estimates for 40 countries in 2012. European J Cancer, 49, 1374-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2012.12.027
- Ghoncheh M, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Salehiniya H (2015). Incidence and mortality of breast cancer and their relationship to development in asia. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 6081-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6081
- Goya M, (2007). Iranian annual cancer registration report 2005/2006. ministry of health and medical education, health deputy. center for disease control and prevention 2007. [In Persian]. Tehran, Iran.
- Harirchi I KS, Karbakhsh M, Chegini N, et al (2011). Twenty years of breast cancer in Iran: downstaging without a formal screening program. Annals Oncol, 22, 93-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdq303
- Jemal A CM, DeSantis C, Ward EM (2010). Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trends. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 19, 1893-907. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-10-0437
- Jung K-W PS, Kong H-J, Won Y-J, et al (2012a). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality, survival, and prevalence in 2009. Cancer Research and Treatment, 44, 11-24. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2012.44.1.11
- Jung K-W PS, Won Y-J, Kong H-J, et al (2012b). Prediction of cancer incidence and mortality in Korea, 2012. Cancer Research and Treatment, 44, 25-31. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2012.44.1.25
- Keyghobadi N RH, Mohammadian-Hafshejani A, Enayatrad M, Salehiniya H (2015). Epidemiology and trend of cancers in the province of Kerman: southeast of Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 1409-13. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1409
- Kolahdoozan S, Sadjadi A, Radmard AR, et al (2010). Five common cancers in Iran. Arch Iran Med, 13, 143-6.
- Mihajlovic J PP, Miladinov-Mikov M, Zivkovic S, Postma MJ (2013). Cancer incidence and mortality in Serbia 1999-2009. BMC Cancer, 13, 1471-2407.
- Mousavi SM GM, Ramazani R, Davanlou M, Hajsadeghi N, Seddighi Z (2009). Cancer incidence and mortality in Iran. Ann Oncol, 20, 556-63.
- Neda Amoori MM, Maria Cheraghi (2014). Incidence of Cancers in Kuzestan Province of Iran: Trend from 2004 to 2008. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8345-49. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8345
- Razavi SE AH, Haghazali M, Nadali F, Ramazani R, Dabiri E, et al (2009). The most common cancers in Iranian women. Iranian J Public Health, 38, 109-12.
- Razi S, Rafiemanesh H, Ghoncheh M, et al (2015). Changing trends of types of skin cancer in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 4955-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.12.4955
- Saeid Razi, Mostafa Enayatrad, abdollah Mohammadian-Hafshejani, et al ( 2015). The Epidemiology of Skin Cancer and its Trend in Iran. Intern J Prev Med, 6, 65. https://doi.org/10.4103/2008-7802.161078
- Siegel R MJ, Zou Z, Jemal A (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA: A Cancer J Clinicians, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Thun MJ DJ, Center MM, Jemal A, Ward EM (2010). The global burden of cancer: priorities for prevention. Carcinogenesis, 31, 100-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgp263
- Xie W-C CM-H, Mak K-C, Chan W-T, He M. (2012). Trends in the incidence of 15 common cancers in Hong Kong. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3911-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3911
- Zanetti R SI, Sacchetto L, Binder-Foucard F, Bordoni A, Coza D, et al. Completeness and timeliness: Cancer registries could/should improve their performance. European Journal of Cancer.