- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Declining Incidence of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Brunei Darussalam: a Three Decade Study (1986-2014)
- Chong, Vui Heng (Department of Medicine, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Telisinghe, Pemsari Upali (Department of Pathology, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- LIM, Edwin (Department of Pathology, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Abdullah, Muhammad Syafiq (Department of Medicine, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Idris, Fidah (Department of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology, RIPAS Hospital) ;
- Chong, Chee Fui (Department of Surgery, Bandar Seri Begawan BA)
- 발행 : 2015.11.04
Background: Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) is linked to Epstein Barr virus infection and is particularly common in the Far East, particularly among some Chinese groups. Certain ethnicities have been reported to have low incidence of NPC. This study looked at NPC in Brunei Darussalam over a three decade period. Materials and Methods: The cancer registry from 1986 to 2014 maintained by the State Laboratory was retrospectively reviewed. The age standardized rates (ASR) and the age specific incidence rates (ASIR) were calculated. Non NPC tumors were excluded from the study. Results: Altogether, there were a total of 450 NPC cases diagnosed accounting for 4.4% of all total cancer cases over the study period, declining from 10.3% in 1986-1990 to 2.3% in 2011-2014. The most common tumor type was the undifferentiated carcinoma (96.4%). The case characteristics were mean age
- Bray F, Haugen M, Moger TA, et al (2008). Age-incidence curves of nasopharyngeal carcinoma worldwide: bimodality in low-risk populations and aetiologic implications. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 17, 2356-65. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0461
- Chan AT, Teo PM, Johnson PJ (2002). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Ann Oncol, 13, 1007-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdf179
- Chan JK, Pilch BZ, Kuo TT, Wenig BM, Lee AW (2005). Tumours of the nasopharynx: introduction. in world health organization classificationof tumours. pathology and genetics. head and neck tumours. ed barnes l, eveson jw, reichart p, sidransky D. IARC Press, Lyon 2005. Pg 83-4.
- Chen L, Gallicchio L, Boyd-Lindsley K, et al (2009). Alcohol consumption and the risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a systematic review. Nutr Cancer, 61, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580802372633
- Hildesheim A, Dosemeci M, Chan CC, et al (2001). Occupational exposure to wood, formaldehyde, and solvents and risk of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 10, 1145-53.
- Huang TR, Zhang SW, Chen WQ, et al (2012). Trends in nasopharyngeal carcinoma mortality in China, 1973-2005. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 2495-502. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.6.2495
- Ianovski I, Izzard M, Morton RP, Plank LD (2010). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma: differences in presentation between different ethnicities in the New Zealand setting. ANZ J Surg, 80, 254-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-2197.2009.05132.x
- International Agency for Research Centre. World Health Organisation. GLOBOCAN 2012: Estimated cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence worldwide in 2012. Retrieved from http://globocan.iarc.fr/old/pie_site.asp?selection=18020&title=Nasopharynx&sex=0&type=0&populations=1&window=1&join=1&submit=%C2%A0Execute%C2%A0 (Accessed 15th April 2015).
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA: A Cancer J Clinicians, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Li K, Lin GZ, Shen JC, Zhou Q (2014). Time trends of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in urban Guangzhou over a 12-year period (2000-2011): declines in both incidence and mortality. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9899-903. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.22.9899
- Luo J, Chia KS, Chia SE, et al (2007). Secular trends of nasopharyngeal carcinoma incidence in Singapore, Hong Kong and Los Angeles Chinese populations, 1973-1997. Eur J Epidemiol, 22, 513-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-007-9148-8
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. National Cancer Registry Report 2007: Malaysia Cancer Statistics- Data and Figure 2007. Available from http://www.care.upm.edu.my/dokumen/13603_NCR2007.pdf (Retrieved 16th June 2015).
- Mousavi SM, Sundquist J, Hemminki K (2010). Nasopharyngeal and hypopharyngeal carcinoma risk among immigrants in Sweden. Int J Cancer, 127, 2888-92. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25287
- National Registry of Disease Office, Singapore. Singapore Cancer Registry Report No.7. Trends in cancer incidence in Singapore 1968-2007. Available from https://www.nrdo.gov.sg/docs/librariesprovider3/Publications-Cancer/inc_report_v745ce06a5c9d76bafab5aff000014cdee.pdf?sfvrsn=0 (Accessed 16th June 2015)
- Petersson F (2015). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma: a review. Semin Diagn Pathol, 32, 54-73. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.semdp.2015.02.021
- Raab-Traub N (2002). Epstein-Barr virus in the pathogenesis of NPC. Semin Cancer Biol, 12, 431-441. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044579X0200086X
- Shanmugaratnam K, Sobin LH (1993). The World Health Organization histological classification of tumours of the upper respiratory tract and ear. A commentary on the second edition. Cancer, 71, 2689-97. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19930415)71:8<2689::AID-CNCR2820710843>3.0.CO;2-H
- Tsao SW, Yip YL, Tsang CM, et al (2014). Etiological factors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Oral Oncol, 50, 330-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2014.02.006
- Turkoz FP, Celenkoglu G, Dogu GG, et al (2011). Risk factors of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Turkey-an epidemiological survey of the anatolian society of medical oncology. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3017-21.
- Wei K, Xu Y, Liu J, Zhang W, Liang Z (2010). No incidence trends and no change in pathological proportions of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Zhongshan in 1970-2007. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1595-9.
- Wei WI, Sham JS (2005). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Lancet, 365, 2041-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)66698-6
- Wided BA, Hamouda B, Hamadi H, Mansour BA (2015). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma incidence in North Tunisia: negative trends in adults but not adolescents, 1994-2006. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2653-7. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2653
- Yeo CH, Abdullah MS, Telesinghe PU, Ramasamy R (2009). Nasopharyngeal carcinoma in brunei darussalam: low incidence among the Chinese and an evaluation of antibodies to epstein-barr virus antigens as biomarkers. Singapore Med J, 50, 371-7.
- Yu WM, Hussain SS (2009). Incidence of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Chinese immigrants, compared with Chinese in China and South East Asia: review. J Laryngol Otol, 123, 1067-74. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215109005623
- Zhang LF, Li YH, Xie SH, et al (2015). Incidence trend of nasopharyngeal carcinoma from 1987 to 2011 in Sihui County, Guangdong Province, South China: an age-periodcohort analysis. Chin J Cancer, 34, 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40880-015-0018-6
- Global trends in nasopharyngeal cancer mortality since 1970 and predictions for 2020: Focus on low-risk areas vol.140, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.30660