- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Can Head and Neck Cancers Be Detected with Mean Platelet Volume?
- Eryilmaz, Aylin (Otorhinolaryngology, Medical School, Adnan Menderes University School of Medicine) ;
- Basal, Yesim (Otorhinolaryngology, Medical School, Adnan Menderes University School of Medicine) ;
- Omurlu, Imran Kurt (Biostatistics, Adnan Menderes University School of Medicine)
- Published : 2015.11.04
Background: Mean platelet volume (MPV) is a marker which has been investigated in many cancers but data for head and neck lesions are limited. We aimed to study the MPV levels in head and neck cancers as a diagnostic marker. Materials and Methods: A total of 96 head and neck cancer patients and 31 control patients who did not meet exclusion criteria were enrolled in the study. The cancer locations, the platelet and MPV levels at the first diagnosis time were collected. Results: The head and neck cancer location distribution between these patients was 2 (2.1%) buccal, 9 (9.4%) tongue, 6 (6.3) lip, 1 (1%) gingiva, 1 (1%) hypopharynx, 1 (1%) ear, 58 (60.4%) larynx, 2 (2.1%) maxilla, 2 (2.1%) nasal, 1 (1%) nasopharynx, 2 (2.1%) palatal, 3 (3.1%) primary unknown, 1 (1%) retromolar, 1 (1%) thyroid, 2 (2.1%) tonsil, and 4 (4.2%) salivary gland. MPV levels were significantly different between cancer and control group (p=0.002). The cut-off point for MPV predicting head and neck cancer is >10 fL (sensitivity=55.21, specificity=87.10). Conclusions: MPV level increase, a readily assessable parameter which does not bring extra costs can warn us regarding head and neck cancer risk.
- Afsar CU, Gunaldi M, Kum P, et al (2014). Pancreatic carcinoma, thrombosis and mean platelet volume: single center experience from the southeast region of Turkey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9143-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9143
- Ay S, Eryilmaz MA, Aksoy N, et al (2015). Is early detection of colon cancer possible with red blood cell distribution width? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 753-6. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.753
- Bagoly Z (2015). Cancer and thrombosis: a fresh look at an old story. Thromb Res, 136, 1-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.thromres.2015.04.028
- Baicus C, Caraiola S, Rimbas M, et al (2011). Utility of routine hematological and inflammation parameters for the diagnosis of cancer in involuntary weight loss. J Investig Med, 59, 951-5.
- Baldane S, Ipekci SH, Sozen M, et al (2015). Mean platelet volume could be a possible biomarker for papillary thyroid carcinomas. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 2671-4. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2671
- Braekkan SK, Mathiesen EB, Njolstad I, et al (2010). Mean platelet volume is a risk factor for venous thromboembolism: the tromso study, tromso, Norway. J Thromb Haemost, 8, 157-62. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1538-7836.2009.03498.x
- Dong W, Li Z, Zhou S (2001). Study on the coagulation state of laryngeal cancer patients before and after operation. Lin Chuang Er Bi Yan Hou Ke Za Zhi, 15, 258-60.
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Karpatkin S, Khan Q, Freedman M (1978). Heterogeneity of platelet function. correlation with platelet volume. Am J Med, 64, 542-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(78)90571-5
- Kisucka J, Butterfield CE, Duda DG, et al (2006). Platelets and platelet adhesion support angiogenesis while preventing excessive hemorrhage. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 103, 855-60. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0510412103
- Kumagai S, Tokuno J, Ueda Y, et al (2015). Prognostic significance of preoperative mean platelet volume in resected non-small-cell lung cancer. Mol Clin Oncol, 3, 197-201.
- Li JY, Li Y, Jiang Z, et al (2014). Elevated mean platelet volume is associated with presence of colon cancer. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10501-4.
- Mangalpally KK, Siqueiros-Garcia A, Vaduganathan M, et al (2010). Platelet activation patterns in platelet size subpopulations: differential responses to aspirin in vitro. J Thromb Thrombolysis, 30, 251-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11239-010-0489-x
- Mutlu H, Berk V, Karaca H, et al (2012). Treatment regimen with bevacizumab decreases mean platelet volume in patients with metastatic colon cancer. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost, 18, 546-8. https://doi.org/10.1177/1076029611430958
- Niksic M, Balogh M (1976). Coagulation abnormalities in the patients with malignant tumours of the larynx and pharynx (author's transl). Laryngol Rhinol Otol (Stuttg), 55, 414-9.
- Noble S, Pasi J (2010). Epidemiology and pathophysiology of cancer-associated thrombosis. Br J Cancer, 102, 2-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605599
- Paneesha S, McManus A, Arya R, et al (2010). Frequency, demographics and risk (according to tumour type or site) of cancer-associated thrombosis amongpatients seen at outpatient DVT clinics. Thromb Haemost, 103, 338-43. https://doi.org/10.1160/TH09-06-0397
- Lack of Variation in Inflammatory Hematological Parameters between Benign Nodular Goiter and Papillary Thyroid Cancer vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.4.2321
- New roles for mean platelet volume measurement in the clinical practice? vol.27, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/09537104.2016.1224828