- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of General Dentists' and Dental Specialists' Knowledge about Oral Cancer in South Khorasan-Iran 2014
- Akbari, Narjes (Department of Oral Medicin, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Scinces) ;
- Raeesi, Vajehallah (Department of Internal Medicine, Birjand University of Medical Scinces) ;
- Khazaei, Tahereh (Department of Anesthesia and Critical Care, Paramedical School, Birjand University of Medical Scinces) ;
- Ramezanzadeh, Khaironnesa (Education Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Scinces) ;
- Ebrahimipour, Sediqe (Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry and dental Research Center, Birjand University of Medical Scinces)
- Published : 2015.11.04
Background: Oral cancer is one of the most prevalent cancers and one of the top ten causes of death in the whole world. Most oral cancers are diagnosed at late stages. Since dentists play a critical role in early detection of oral cancer, they should be knowledgeable and skillful in oral cancer diagnosis. The aim of this study was to survey dentist knowledge about oral cancer in Southern Khorasan Province. Materials and Methods: This descriptive, cross-sectional study was conducted with dentists who participated in an in-service educational program at the Faculty of Dentistry of Birjand University of Medical Sciences in spring 2014. A questionnaire including demographic information with 11 questions regarding oral cancer was prepared. The participants were required to be complete the questionnaires within a specific time span. The data were analyzed using SPSS 15 software by t-test and one-way ANOVA at 0.05 confidence level. Results: A total of 73 dentists out of 80 answered the questionnaires - 36 (49.3%) were females and 37 (50.7%) were males. Total mean score of knowledge was
Dentist;knowledge;oral cancer;South Khorasan, Iran
- Alonge O, Narendran S (2003). Opinions about oral cancer prevention and early detection among dentists practising along the Texas-Mexico border. Oral diseases, 9, 41-5. https://doi.org/10.1034/j.1601-0825.2003.01831.x
- Bayrami R, Taghipour A, Ebrahimipour H (2013). Challenges of providing cervical cancer prevention programs in iran: a qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 10071-7.
- Bayrami R, Taghipour A, Ebrahimipour H (2014). Personal and socio-cultural barriers to cervical cancer screening in iran, patient and provider perceptions: a qualitative study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 16, 3729-34.
- Burket LW, Greenberg MS, Glick M, et al 2008. Burket's oral medicine, PMPH-USA.
- Colella G, Gaeta GM, Moscariello A, et al (2008). Oral cancer and dentists: knowledge, attitudes, and practices in Italy. Oral Oncol, 44, 393-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2007.05.005
- Croucher R, Islam S, Nunn H (2011). Campaign awareness and oral cancer knowledge in UK resident adult Bangladeshi: a cross-sectional study. Br J Cancer, 105, 925-30. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.317
- Halawany HS, Jacob V, Abraham NB, et al (2013). Oral cancer awareness and perception of tobacco use cessation counseling among dental students in four Asian countries. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3619-23. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3619
- Horowitz A, Drury T, Canto M (2000a). Dental Practice: Practices of Maryland dentists: oral cancer prevention and early detection baseline data from 1995. Oral Diseases, 6, 282-8.
- Horowitz AM, Drury TF, Goodman HS, et al (2000b). Oral pharyngeal cancer prevention and early detection: dentists’ opinions and practices. The Journal of the American Dental Association, 131, 453-62. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0201
- Kujan O, Duxbury A, Glenny A, et al (2006). Opinions and attitudes of the UK’s GDPs and specialists in oral surgery, oral medicine and surgical dentistry on oral cancer screening. Oral Diseases, 12, 194-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01188.x
- Mehdizadeh M, Majidi MS, Sadeghi S, et al (2014). Evaluation of knowledge, attitude and practice of general dentists regarding oral cancer in sari, Iran. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 7, 101.
- Motallebnejad M, Hedayati M (2006). General dentist’s knowledge about oral cancers in Babol, in 2005. J Mash Dent Sch, 30, 309-18.
- Ogden GR, Mahboobi N (2011). Oral cancer awareness among undergraduate dental students in Iran. J Cancer Education, 26, 380-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13187-010-0170-2
- Onizawa K, Nishihara K, Yamagata K, et al (2003). Factors associated with diagnostic delay of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol, 39, 781-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1368-8375(03)00075-7
- Saghafi S, ZareMahmoodabadi R, Salehinejad J, et al (2009). Evaluation of general dentists knowledge about oral cancer in Mashhad-Iran in 2008. J Mash Dent Sch, 33, 107-14.
- Sarabadani J, Pakfetrat A, Delavarian Z, et al (2012). Knowledge and Diagnostic Skill of General Dentist in Khorasan Razavi Province Common (Iran) toward Oral Diseases 2009-10. J Mashhad Dental School, 36.
- Scully C, Bagan J (2009). Oral squamous cell carcinoma overview. Oral Oncol, 45, 301-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2009.01.004
- Seoane J, Warnakulasuriya S, Varela Centelles P, et al (2006). Oral cancer: experiences and diagnostic abilities elicited by dentists in North western Spain. Oral Diseases, 12, 487-92. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-0825.2005.01225.x
- Shrivastava SR, Shrivastava PS, Ramasamy J (2014). Oral Cancer in developing countries: The time to act is upon us. Iranian J Cancer Prev, 7, 58.
- Warnakulasuriya S (2009). Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncol, 45, 309-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2008.06.002
- Yellowitz JA, Horowitz AM, Drury TF, et al (2000). Survey of us dentists’knowledge and opinions about oral pharyngeal cancer. J Am Dental Assoc, 131, 653-61. https://doi.org/10.14219/jada.archive.2000.0239
- Zarei M, Asadpour F (2002). Assessing dentist’s knowledge and awareness in the diagnosis of oral cancer in Kerman. Shahid Beheshti Medical Sciences University JDental School, 4, 364-57.