- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Anti-Proliferative Effects of Hesa-A on Human Cancer Cells with Different Metastatic Potential
- Jahanban-Esfahlan, Rana (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Abasi, Mozhgan (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Sani, Hakimeh Moghaddas (Department of Medical Biotechnology, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Abbasi, Mehran Mesgari (Student Research Committee, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences) ;
- Akbarzadeh, Abolfazl (Department of Genetics, Biotechnology Research Center, Research & Development Complex, Faculty of Advanced Medical Sciences, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences)
- Published : 2015.11.04
Background: During the past few years, Hesa-A, a herbal-marine mixture, has been used to treat cancer as an alternative medicine in Iran. Based on a series of studies, it is speculated that Hesa-A possesses special cytotoxic effects on invasive tumors. To test this hypothesis, we investigated the selective anticancer effects of Hesa-A on several cancer cell lines with different metastatic potential. Materials and Methods: Hesa-A was prepared in normal saline as a stock solution of 10 mg/ml and further diluted to final concentrations of
Hesa-A;metastatic cancer cells;anti tumoral effects
- Abbasi MM, Khiavi MM, Monfaredan A, et al (2014a). DOXMTX- NPs augment p53 mRNA expression in OSCC model in rat: effects of IV and oral routes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 8377-82. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.19.8377
- Abbasi MM, Monfaredan A, Hamishehkar H, et al (2014b). New formulated “DOX-MTX-loaded nanoparticles” downregulate HER2 gene expression and improve the clinical outcome in OSCCs model in rat: the effect of IV and oral modalities. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 9355-60. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.21.9355
- Abbasi MM, Monfaredan A, Hamishehkar H, et al (2014c). Novel DOX-MTX nanoparticles improve oral SCC clinical outcome by down regulation of lymph dissemination factor VEGF-C expression in vivo: oral and IV modalities. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 6227-32. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.15.6227
- Ahmadi A, Habibi G, Farrokhnia M (2010a). Anticancer effects of HESA-A: an herbal marine compound. Chin J Integr Med, 16, 366-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11655-010-0517-x
- Ahmadi A, Mohagheghi M, Karimi M, et al (2009). Anticancer effects of HESA-A in patients with metastatic colon cancer. Integr. Cancer Ther, 8, 71-4. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735408327995
- Ahmadi A, Mohagheghi MA, Fazeli MS, et al (2005). HESA-A: new treatment for breast cancer and choroidal metastasis. Med Sci Monit, 11, 300-3.
- Akbarzadeh A, Zarghami N, Mikaeili H, et al (2012). Synthesis, characterization, and in vitro evaluation of novel polymercoated magnetic nanoparticles for controlled delivery of doxorubicin (Article). Nanotechnol Sci Applic, 5, 13-25.
- Elham Abbasi, Sedigheh Fekri Aval, Abolfazl Akbarzadeh, et al (2014). Dendrimers: synthesis, applications, and properties. Nanoscale Res Letters, 9, 247. https://doi.org/10.1186/1556-276X-9-247
- Fallahzadeh S, Bahrami H, Akbarzadeh A, Tayarani M (????). High-isolation dual-frequency operation patch antenna using spiral defected microstrip structure. Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, 9, 122-4
- Jahanban Esfahlan R, Zarghami N, Rahmati-Yamchi M, et al (2011). Quantification of steroid receptors gene expression in breast cancer patients: possible correlation with serum level of adipocytokines. J Cancer Therapy, 2, 659-65. https://doi.org/10.4236/jct.2011.25088
- Mehdipour M, Taghavi ZA, Mesgari AM, et al (2013). Evaluation of the effect of two systemic doses of HESA-A on prevention of induced tongue neoplasm in rats. J Dent Res Dent Clin Dent Prospects, 7, 218-24.
- Mohammadzadeh G, Zarghami N (2009) Associations between single-nucleotide polymorphisms of the adiponectin gene, serum adiponectin levels and increased risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus in Iranian obese individuals. Scand J Clin Lab Inv, 69, 764-71. https://doi.org/10.3109/00365510903137237
- Mohammad Kouhi, Ali Vahedi, Abolfazl Akbarzadeh, Younes Hanifehpour, Sang Woo Joo (2014). Investigation of Quadratic Electro-Optic Effects and Electro Absorption Process in GaN/AlGaN Spherical Quantum Dot. Nanoscale Res Letters, 9, 131-6. https://doi.org/10.1186/1556-276X-9-131
- Mollazade M, Nejati-Koshki K, Akbarzadeh A, et al (2013) Dendrimers augment inhibitory effects of curcumin on cancer cell proliferation: Possible inhibition of telomerase. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 6925-8. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6925
- Muhammmadnejad S, Zendehdel K, Mazaheri Z, et al 2014. Assessment of selective growth inhibitory effects of HESA-A on some human neoplastic cell lines.
- Nasiri M, Zarghami N, Nejati Koshki K, et al (2013). Curcumin and silibinin inhibit telomerase expression in T47D human breast cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 14, 3449-53 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3449
- Roudkenar MH, Bahmani P, Halabian R, et al (2012). HESA-A exerts its cytoprotective effects through scavenging of free radicals: an in vitro study. Iran JMed Sci, 37, 47-53.
- Sadighi-Aliabadi H, Ahmadi A (2003). Cytotoxicity and antitumor properties of a marine compound, Hesa-A, on cancer cells. DARU J Pharmaceutical Sciences, 11.
- Shafie SM, Liotta LA (1980). Formation of metastasis by human breast carcinoma cells (MCF-7) in nude mice. Cancer Letters, 11, 81-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3835(80)90097-X
- Siegel R, Ma J, Zou Z, et al (2014). Cancer statistics, 2014. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 64, 9-29. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21208
- Valiyari S, Jahanban-Esfahlan R, Zare Shahneh F, et al (2013). Cytotoxic and apoptotic activity of Scrophularia oxysepala in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Toxicological & Environmental Chemistry, 95, 1208-20. https://doi.org/10.1080/02772248.2013.854362
- Zarghami N, Yu H, Diamandis EP, et al (1995). Sutherland, D.J.A.Quantification of creatine kinase BB isoenzyme in tumor cytosols and serum with an ultrasensitive timeresolved immunofluorometric technique. Clin Biochem, 28, 243-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-9120(95)00010-7