- Volume 16 Issue 16
DOI QR Code
Quality of Life of Family Members Living with Cancer Patients
- Lee, Hyo Jung (Department of Public Health, Graduate School, Yonsei University) ;
- Park, Eun-Cheol (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University) ;
- Kim, Seung Ju (Department of Public Health, Graduate School, Yonsei University) ;
- Lee, Sang Gyu (Institute of Health Services Research, Yonsei University)
- 발행 : 2015.11.04
Background: Due to the rapid progress of industrialization, the expansion of the nuclear family, and an increase in women's social activities, the burden of care of cancer patients has increased, so that all family members are now involved in care. We compared the health-related quality of life (HRQOL) between members of families of cancer patients (hereafter, cancer families) and members of cancer-free families (non-cancer families). Materials and Methods: The data were from the Community Health Survey (2012). The study population included respondents at least 30 years of age. Data were adjusted for the following covariates: sex, age, education, marital status, household income, economic activity, household type, chronic disease, and perceived health status. Frequency analysis, analyses of variance, and multiple linear regression analysis were performed. Results: Among 163,495 respondents, 3,406 (2.1%) were part of a cancer family and 160,089 (97.9%) were part of a non-cancer family. Cancer families had lower EQ-5D scores than non-cancer families. However, by subgroup, the scores had significant association between cancer and non-cancer families only for females and for those who worked. Conclusions: There was a significant relationship between HRQOL scores and being a family member of a cancer patient. This indicates that the responsibility for care has been extended to the entire family, not only the primary caregiver.
- Alptekin S, Gonullu G, Yucel I, et al (2010). Characteristics and quality of life analysis of caregivers of cancer patients. Med Oncol, 27, 607-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9256-2
- KF, Rose JH, Deimling GT (2006). Appraisal of the cancer experience by family members and survivors in longterm survivorship. Psycho Oncol, 15, 834-45. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1039
- Gallicchio L, Siddiqi N, Langenberg P, et al (2002). Gender differences in burden and depression among informal caregivers of demented elders in the community. Int J Geriatr Psychiat, 17, 154-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.538
- Girgis A, Lambert S, Johnson C, et al (2013). Physical, psychosocial, relationship, and economic burden of caring for people with cancer: a review. J Oncol Pract, 9, 197-202. https://doi.org/10.1200/JOP.2012.000690
- Given B, Wyatt G, Given C, et al (2004). Burden and depression among caregivers of patients with cancer at the end of life. Oncol Nurs Soc, 31, 1105-17.
- Given BA, Northouse L (2011). Who cares for family caregivers of patients with cancer? Clin J Oncol Nurs, 15, 451-2. https://doi.org/10.1188/11.CJON.451-452
- Glajchen M (2003). The emerging role and needs of family caregivers in cancer care. J Support Oncol, 2, 145-55.
- Grov E, Dahl A, Moum T, et al (2005). Anxiety, depression, and quality of life in caregivers of patients with cancer in late palliative phase. Ann Oncol, 16, 1185-91. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdi210
- Han KS, Khim SY, Lee SJ, et al (2006). Family functioning and quality of life of the family care-giver in cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs, 36, 983-91.
- Hoga LAK, Mello DS, Dias AF (2008). Psychosocial perspectives of the partners of breast cancer patients treated with a mastectomy: an analysis of personal narratives. Cancer Nurs, 31, 318-25. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NCC.0000305748.43367.1b
- Hong MJ, Tae YS, Noh MY (2012). Relationships between stress, way of coping and burnout of family caregivers of cancer patients. Asian Oncol Nurs, 12, 92-9. https://doi.org/10.5388/aon.2012.12.1.92
- Kim HS, Yu SJ (2008). Factors influencing family functioning in family caregivers of patients with cancer. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs, 15, 301-11.
- Kim Y, Baker F, Spillers RL, et al (2006). Psychological adjustment of cancer caregivers with multiple roles. Psycho Oncol, 15, 795-804. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1013
- Kim Y, Carver CS (2012). Recognizing the value and needs of the caregiver in oncology. Current Opinion Support Palliative Care, 6, 280-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/SPC.0b013e3283526999
- Kim Y, Given BA (2008). Quality of life of family caregivers of cancer survivors. Cancer, 112, 2556-68. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.23449
- Kitrungrote L, Cohen MZ (2006). Quality of life of family caregivers of patients with cancer: a literature review. Oncol Nurs Soc, 33, 625-32.
- Korea National Cancer Information Center (2014). http://www.cancer.go.kr/mbs/cancer/subview.jsp?id=cancer_040101000000.
- Muhamad M, Afshari M, Kazilan F (2011). Family support in cancer survivorship. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 1389-97.
- Northouse L, Williams A-l, Given B, et al (2012). Psychosocial care for family caregivers of patients with cancer. J Clin Oncol, 30, 1227-34. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2011.39.5798
- Park YH, Hyun HJ (2000). Caregiver burden and family functioning of cancer patient. Korean J Adult Nurs, 12, 384-95.
- Pavalko EK, Woodbury S (2000). Social roles as process: Caregiving careers and women’s health. J Health and Social Behav, 41, 91-105. https://doi.org/10.2307/2676362
- Sorensen S, Pinquart M, Duberstein P (2002). How effective are interventions with caregivers? An updated meta-analysis. Gerontologist, 42, 356-72. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/42.3.356
- Stenberg U, Ruland CM, Miaskowski C (2010). Review of the literature on the effects of caring for a patient with cancer. Psycho Oncol, 19, 1013-25.
- Vanderwerker LC, Laff RE, Kadan-Lottick NS, et al (2005). Psychiatric disorders and mental health service use among caregivers of advanced cancer patients. J Clin Oncol, 23, 6899-907. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.01.370
- Wadhwa D, Burman D, Swami N, et al (2013). Quality of life and mental health in caregivers of outpatients with advanced cancer. Psycho Oncol, 22, 403-10.
- Yee JL, Schulz R (2000). Gender differences in psychiatric morbidity among family caregivers a review and analysis. Gerontologist, 40, 147-64. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/40.2.147
- Zhu P, Fu JF, Wang B, et al (2014). Quality of life of male spouse caregivers for breast cancer patients in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 15, 4181-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.10.4181