- Volume 9 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Seismic response distribution estimation for isolated structures using stochastic response database
- Eem, Seung-Hyun (Disaster Management HPC Research, Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information) ;
- Jung, Hyung-Jo (Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, KAIST)
- Received : 2014.03.10
- Accepted : 2015.09.08
- Published : 2015.11.25
Seismic isolation systems decouple structures from ground motions to protect them from seismic events. Seismic isolation devices have been implemented in many full-scale buildings and bridges because of their simplicity, economic effectiveness, inherent stability, and reliability. It is well known that the most uncertain aspect for obtaining the accurate responses of an isolated structure from seismic events is the seismic loading itself. It is needed to know the seismic response distributions of the isolated structure resulting from the randomness of earthquakes when probabilistic designing or probabilistic evaluating an isolated structure. Earthquake time histories are useful and often an essential element for designing or evaluating isolated structures. However, it is very challenging to gather the design and evaluation information for an isolated structure from many seismic analyses. In order to evaluate the seismic performance of an isolated structure, numerous nonlinear dynamic analyses need to be performed, but this is impractical. In this paper, the concept of the stochastic response database (SRD) is defined to obtain the seismic response distributions of an isolated structure instantaneously, thereby significantly reducing the computational efforts. An equivalent model of the isolated structure is also developed to improve the applicability and practicality of the SRD. The effectiveness of the proposed methodology is numerically verified.
Grant : 초고성능컴퓨팅기반 국가현안대응체계 구축
- American Society of Civil Engineers (2005), "Seismic design criteria for structures, systems, and components in nuclear facilities", ASCE 43-05, ASCE, Reston, VA.
- Ashtari, P. and Ghasemi, S.H. (2013), "Seismic design of structures using a modified non-stationary critical excitation", Earthq. Struct., 4(4), 383-396. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.4.4.383
- Constantinou, M.C., Tsopelas, P., Kasalanati, A. and Wolf, E.D. (1999), "Property modification factors for seismic isolation bearings", Technical Report MCEER-99-0012, Buffalo, New York.
- Eem, S.H., Jung, H.J. and Koo, J.H. (2012), "Modeling of magneto-rheological elastomers for harmonic shear deformation", IEEE Trans. Magnetics, 48(11), 3080-3083. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2012.2205140
- Eem, S.H., Jung, H.J., Kim M.K. and Choi I.K. (2013), "Seismic fragility evaluation of isolated NPP containment structure considering soil-structure interaction effect", EESK J. Earthq. Eng., 17(2), 53-59.
- Eem, S.H. and Jung, H.J. (2013a), "Simplified model of isolated nuclear power plant for seismic analysis", Proceedings of the 2013 World Congress on Advances in Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Techno press, Jeju, Korea.
- Eem, S.H. and Jung, H.J. (2013b), "A goodness-of-fit test for seismic response distribution of isolated structures", Proceedings of the Ninth International Workshop on Advanced Smart Materials and Smart Structures Technology, ANCRiSST, Ulsan, Korea.
- Galambos, T.V., Ellingwood, B., MacGregor, J.G. and Cornell, C.A. (1982), "Probability based load criteria: Assessment of current design practice", J. Struct. Div., ASCE, 108(5), 959-977.
- Hancock, J., Watson, L., Abrahamson, N., Bommer, J., Markatis, A., McCoy, E. and Mendis, R. (2006), "An improved method of matching response spectra of recorded earthquake ground motion using wavlets", J. Earthq. Eng., 10(spec01), 67-89.
- Huang, N., Whittaker, A., Kennedy, R. and Mayes, R. (2009), "Assessment of base-isolated nuclear structures for design and beyond design basis earthquake shaking", MCEER 090008, University at Buffalo, New York.
- Itoh, Y., Gu, H., Satoh, K. and Yamamoto, Y. (2006), "Long-term deterioration of high damping rubber bridge bearing", SEEE, JSCE, 62(3), 595-607.
- Jeong, S. and Elnashai (2007), "A probabilistic fragility analysis parameterized by fundamental response quantities", Eng. Struct., 29(6), 1238-1251. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.06.026
- Jun, Y.S. (2010), "Technical review of seismic isolation systems for NPP application", Proceedings of the Earthquake Engineering Workshop, EESK, Jeju, Korea.
- Kalpakidis, I.V. and Constantinou, M.C. (2008), "Effects of heating and load history on the behavior of lead-rubber bearings", Technical Report MCEER-08-0027, Buffalo, New York.
- KEPCO E & C (2012), Development and engineering of practical base isolation system for nuclear power plant export. Report 2011T100200078, Korea Institute Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning Report.
- Kim, D., Oh, J., Do, J. and Park, J. (2014), "Effects of thermal aging on mechanical properties of laminated lead and natural rubber bearing", Earthq. Struct., 6(2), 127-140. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.2.127
- Kim, J., Kim, M. and Choi, I. (2013), "Response of base isolation system subjected to spectrum matched input ground motions", EESK J. Earthq. Eng., 17(2), 89-95.
- Lin, D. and Tu, W. (1995), "Dual response surface optimization", J. Quality Technol., 27(1), 34-39.
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of Seismic Isolated Structures from Theory to Practice, John Wiley and Sons, New York, USA.
- National Institute of Building Sciences (2006), NEHRP recommended provisions, FEMA 451, FEMA, Washington, DC.
- Shinozuka, M., Feng, J.L. and Naganuma, T. (2000), "Statistical analysis of fragility curves", J. Eng. Mech., 126(12), 1224-1231. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2000)126:12(1224)
- Spencer, B. and Nagarajaiah, S. (2003), "State of the art structural control", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 129, 845-856. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2003)129:7(845)
- Towashiraporn, P. (2004), "Building seismic fragilities using response surface metamodels", Ph.D. Dissertation, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA.
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (1973), Design response spectra for seismic design of nuclear power plants, Regulatory Guide 1.60, NRC.
- US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (2007), Standard review plan 3.7.1. NUREG 0800, NRC.