- Volume 22 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of Sputtering Conditions of TiW Under Bump Metallurgy on Adhesion Strength of Au Bump Formed on Al and SiN Films
Al 및 SiN 박막 위에 형성된 TiW Under Bump Metallurgy의 스퍼터링 조건에 따른 Au Bump의 접착력 특성
- Jo, Yang-Geun (Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Hee (Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Ji-Mook (Creative DASAN LINC Educational Development Institute, Dankook University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Sik (TAMISEMICON Corporation) ;
- Chang, Ho-Jung (Dept of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Dankook University)
- 조양근 (단국대학교 전자.전기공학과) ;
- 이상희 (단국대학교 전자.전기공학과) ;
- 김지묵 (단국대학교 창조다산링크사업단) ;
- 김현식 ((주)태미세미콘) ;
- 장호정 (단국대학교 전자.전기공학과)
- Received : 2015.07.07
- Accepted : 2015.09.24
- Published : 2015.09.30
In this study, two types of Au/TiW bump samples were fabricated by the electroplating process onto Al/Si and SiN/Si wafers for the COG (Chip On Glass) packaging. TiW was used as the UBM (Under Bump Metallurgy) material of the Au bump and it was deposited by a sputtering method under the sputtering powers ranges from 500 to 5000 Watt. We investigated the delamination phenomenas for the prepared samples as a function of the input sputtering powers. The stable interfacial adhesion condition was found to be 1500 Watt in sputtering power. In addition, the SAICAS (Surface And Interfacial Cutting Analysis System) measurement was used to find the adhesion strength of Au bumps for the prepared samples. TiW UBM films were deposited at the 1500 Watt sputtering power. As a results, there was a similar adhesion strengths between TiW/Au interfacial films on Al/Si and SiN/Si wafers. However, the adhesion strength of TiW UBM sputtering films on Al and SiN under films were 2.2 times differences, indicating 0.475 kN/m for Al/Si wafer and 0.093 kN/m for SiN/Si wafer, respectively.
Supported by : 중소기업청
- H. Tanaka and K. S. Kim, "Introduc tion of Reliability Test Technology for Electronics Package", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 19(1), 1 (2012). https://doi.org/10.6117/kmeps.2012.19.1.001
- J. W. Kim, Y. C. Lee, B. I. Noh, J. W. Yoon and S. B. Jung, "Recent Advances in Conductive Adhesives for Electronic Packaging Technology", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 16(2), 1 (2009).
- S. H. Park, T. S. Oh and G. Englemann, "Interfacial Reactions of Sn Solder with Variations of Under-Bump-Metallurgy and Reflow Time", J. Microelectron. Packag. Soc., 14(3), 43 (2007).
- M. J. Yim, J. S. Hwang and K. W. Paik, "Anisotropic Conductive Films (ACFs) for ultra-fine pitch chip-on-glass (COG) applications", Int. J. Adhes. Adhes., 27, 77 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijadhadh.2005.12.006
- J. W. Kim, D. G. Kim, S. S. Ha, W. C. Moon, C. S. Yoo, J. H. Moon and S. B. Jung, "Valuation of Thermo- mechanical Reliability of Flip Chip Solder Joints (I)", J. Kor. Inst. Met. & Mater., 44(8), 581 (2006).
- J. W. Kim, D. G. Kim and S. B. Jung, "Valuation of Thermo mechanical Reliability of Flip Chip Solder Joints (II)", J. Kor. Inst. Met. & Mater., 44(8), 587 (2006).
- P. Sigmund, "A mechanism of surface micro-roughening by ion bombarment", J. Mater. Sci. Lett., 8, 1545 (1973). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00754888
- A. K. Vijh, "The influence of metal-metal bond energies on the adhesion, hardness, friction and wear of metals", J. Mater. Sci., 10, 998 (1975). https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00823216
- A. F. J. Baggerman and F. J. H. Kessels, "Hardness reduction of Au bumps for tab interconnections", Electronic Manufacturing Technology Symposium, Technology Symposium, 1992. 12th International. IEEE, 229 (1992).
- Y. H. Chen, K. W. Lee, W. A. Chiou and Y. W. Chung, "Synthesis and structure of smooth, superhard TiN/SiNX multilayer coatings with an equiaxed microstructure", Surf. Coat. Technol., 146, 209 (2001).
- N. Nagai, T. Imai, K. Terada, H. Seki, H. Okumura, H. Fujino, T. Yamamoto, I. Nishiyama and A. Hatta, "Depth profile analysis of ion-implanted photoresist by infrared spectroscopy", Surf. Interface Anal., 34, 545 (2002). https://doi.org/10.1002/sia.1357
- F. Saito, I. Nichiyama and T. Hyodo, "An improved method for the measurement of adhesion energy by using a nano-cutting machine", Surf. Coat. Technol., 205, 419 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2010.07.006