- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Study on the Indoor Acoustic Field Analysis using the Blast Wave Model
폭발파 모델을 이용한 실내 음장 해석에 관한 연구
- Song, Kee-Hyeok (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Kang, Woo-Ram (KAIST) ;
- Lee, Duck-Joo (KAIST) ;
- Kim, Young-Nam (Flow&noise Inc.)
- Received : 2015.04.17
- Accepted : 2015.08.17
- Published : 2015.08.31
A portable recoilless guided missile generates a strong back blast and impulsive noise at the nozzle when it launches. In the case of indoor operations, the hazard of the blast noise from a recoilless weapon increases due to limited indoor spaces. Also, the noise levels determine the operational feasibility of a weapon; therefore, it is important to predict the blast noise levels distribution in the indoor space in advance. In addition, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) method generally used for fluid related simulations, requires high computing cost and time to simulate the whole domains. The domain includes both blast wave region and large and various indoor space region. Therefore, an efficient method for predicting the far-field noise level within a short time should be developed. This paper describes an analysis model for predicting the indoor noise distributions by considering the shape effect of the building within a short time. A new developed blast wave model was implemented using the noise source. Additionally, noise reflections at the closed surfaces such as walls and noise transmissions at the opened surfaces such as windows and doors were considered in calculating the noise levels. The predicted noise levels were compared with the experimental data obtained from the indoor launch test to validate the reliability of program.
- E. B. Shank and G. R. Grinther, "Firing from Enclosures with LAW, DRAGON an TOW", Technical Memorandum 16-75, U.S. Army Human Engineering Laboratories, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, pp.39, 1975.
- G. R. Price, "Firing from Enclosures with 90mm Recoilless Rifle: Assessment of Acoustic Hazard," Technical Memorandum 11-78, U.S. Army Human Engineering Laboratory, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, pp.1-14, 1978.
- U.S. Army Human Engineering Lab., "Maximum noise level for Army Materiel Command Equipment", HEL Standard S-1-63B, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, pp.16, 1965.
- A. Glorig, W. D. Ward and J. Nixon, "Damage Risk Criteria and Noise-induced Hearing Loss", Arch. Otolaryngol., No.74, pp.413-423, 1965.
- W. J. Murphy and C. A. Kardous, "A Case for using A-weighted Equivalent Energy as a Damage Risk Criterion", National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, EPHB Report, No.350-11a, 2012.
- K. Buck, "Performance of Different Types of Hearing Protectors Undergoing High-Level Impulse Noise", International Journal of Occupational Safety and Ergonomics (JOSE), Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 227-240, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/10803548.2009.11076804
- A. Dancer and R. Franke, "Hearing Hazard from Impulse Noise: A Comparative Study of Two Classical Criteria for Weapon Noises (Pfander Criterion and Smoorenburg Criterion) and the LAeq8 Method, Acustica-Acta Acustica", Vol. 3, pp. 539-547, 1995.
- MIL-STD-1474D, "Department of Defense Design Criteria Standard", 1996.
- R. F. Chaillet, D. C. Hodge, G. R. Garinther and F. N. Newcomb, "High Intensity Impulse Noise: A Major Problem", Technical Memorandum, U.S Army Human Engineering Laboratories, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, pp.1-32, 1964.
- G. R. Garinther and K. D. Kryter, "Auditory and Acoustical Evaluation of Several Shoulder-rifles", Technical Memorandum, U.S Army Human Engineering Laboratories, Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD, pp.1-65, 1965.
- H. H. Chiu, E. G. Plett, M. Summerfield and C.W. Nelson, "Blast-Noise Environment of Impulsive Firing", AIAA 74-48, 1974.
- C. P. Chan, K. H. Ho, K. K. Kan and J. H. Stuhmiller, "Evaluation of Impulse Noise Criteria using Human Volunteer Data", J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 110, Issue 4 , 2001.
- B. H. Kong, S. S. Jeong, E. K. Son, S. B. Lee and K. H. Song, " Interior Analysis of Impulse Noise from Weapons in a Perspective on Damage Risk Using the Alternative Image Theory", 19th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference, 10.2515/6, pp. 2013-2031, 2013.
- J. H. Patterson and D. L. Johnson, "Temporary Threshold Shifts Produced by High Intensity Free field Impulse Noise in Humans Wearing Hearing Protection", USAARL Report, No. 8, pp.94-46, 1994.
- J. H. Patterson, "Proposed New Procedure for Estimating Allowable Number of Rounds for Blast Overpressure Hazard Assessment", U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory (USAARL), Report, No.98-03, 1997.
- K. Buck, "Performance of Hearing Protectors in Impulse Noise", RTO HFM Lecture Series, 2000.
- K. H. Song and, B. H. Kong, "A Study of How to Evaluation of Impulse Noise Based on MIL-STD-1474D", Fall Conference of the Korean Society of Safety, pp. 51, 2014.
- M. Kandula, "Simulation of Supersonic Jet Noise with Nonlinear CFD and Kirchhoff Surface Integral", Engineering Applications of Computational Fluid Mechanics Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 456-465, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/19942060.2008.11015244
- M. D. Goel, V. A. Matsagar, A. K. Gupta and S. Marburg, "An Abridged Review of Blast Wave Parameters" Defence Science Journal, Vol. 62, No. 5, pp. 300-306, 2012. https://doi.org/10.14429/dsj.62.1149
- T. Funkhouser, I. Carlbom, G. Elko, G. Pingali, M. Sondhi and J. West, "A Beam Tracing Approach to Acoustic Modeling for Interactive Virtual Environments", ACM Computer Graphics, SIGGRAPH'98 Proceedings, pp. 21-32, 1998.
- A Study on the Risk Assessment Method of Indoor-Impulsive Noise vol.31, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2016.31.2.90