- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Factor Analysis and Intergroup Awareness Investigation of Workers' Safety in Logistic Center
물류센터 근로자의 안전인식에 대한 요인분석 및 집단간 인식 비교
- Choi, Hyunjoon (PANASIA GmbH) ;
- Moon, Sangyoung (Department of Business Administration, Hankyong National University) ;
- Ok, Seung-Yong (Department of Civil, Safety and Environmental Engineering, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2015.04.08
- Accepted : 2015.05.26
- Published : 2015.08.31
This study is to examine the workers' awareness of the safety in logistic centers. For that purpose, the exploratory factor analysis of workers' safety awareness in logistic centers was performed at first, and the 6 variables extracted from the factor analysis were then used to investigate the difference in intergroup awareness of the safety environment in the logistic centers. We administered a survey to 147 workers attending the logistic centers and collected data from them. The results of the study showed that the intergroup awareness of the safety environment turned out to be statistically different from each other in terms of working environment, safe behavior, work risk, safety knowledge and effort, risk justification and compromising attitudes. Experiences in industrial accidents influenced awareness of working environment, work risk and risk justification. The group who experienced accidents is more likely to feel risky and unsatisfied with working place, and their awareness toward risk justification was high as well. It was also observed that there exists awareness difference between manager group and worker group. The group who manages the working place showed more positive awareness of working environment, safe behavior, work risk, safety knowledge and effort, risk justification and compromising attitudes than the worker group. On the contrary, the worker group showed high recognition in risk of working place, and felt that they are willing to compromise on safety for increasing production. The scale of the logistic center produced negative influence on awareness of safety. The group in small logistic center showed the highest awareness in safety, whereas the group in large logistic center with more than 100 workers showed the highest awareness in risk. They are more likely to deviate from correct and safe work procedures due to over-familiarity with the job, as well. The findings suggest that there is a need for the safety management and education to change the workers' understanding and attitudes towards safety.
Grant : 극한조건에서의 대형 물류시설 및 설비의 안전성 평가 및 개선
Supported by : 경기도지역협력연구센터(GRRC)
- Ministry of Employment and Labor, "A Survey on the Present State of Industrial Accidents in 2013", Technical Report, pp. 7, 2014.
- K.Y. Ahn, "The Relationship between Safety Climate and Safety Performance, and the Moderating Effect of Age". Journal of The Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 122-129, 2005.
- I. Donald, I and D. Canter, "Employee Attitudes and Safety in the Chemical Industry", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 203-208, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0950-4230(94)80067-7
- S.-I. Choi and H. Kim, "A Study on the Safety Climate and Workers Safe Work Behavior in Construction Site", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 60-71, 2006.
- J.-G. Lee, S.-W. Ryu and S.-K. Seo, "A Study on Necessity of Safety Education for Improving the Worker's Safety Awareness", Journal of The Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 90-96, 2011.
- Occupational Safety and Health Research Institute, "Investigation Study on Safety Awareness Level of Owners and Workers", KOSHA Technical Report, pp. 94-96, 2007.
- M.N. Vinodkumar and M. Bhasi, "Safety Climate Factors and its Relationship with Accidents and Personal Attributes in the Chemical Industry", Safety Science, Vol. 47, No. 5, pp. 659-667, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2008.09.004
- H. Choi, "A Study on Difference Intergroup Awareness of Work Safety Factors of Logistics Center", Master Dissertation, Hankyong National University, 2014.