- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Flash Point Calculation for n-Octane+n-Decane and n-Octane+n-Dodecane by UNIFAC Group Contribution Model
UNIFAC 그룹 기여 모델에 의한 n-Octnae+n-Decane 계와 n-Octane+n-Dodecane 계의 인화점 계산
- Ha, Dong-Myeong (Department of Occupational Health and Safety Engineering, Semyung University) ;
- Lee, Sungjin (Department of Clinical Laboratory Science, Semyung University)
- Received : 2015.06.04
- Accepted : 2015.08.12
- Published : 2015.08.31
The flash point is used to categorize inflammable liquids according to their relative flammability. Such a categorization is important for the safe handling, storage, and transportation of inflammable liquids. The flash point temperature of two binary liquid mixtures(n-octane+n-decane and n-octane+n-dodecane) has been measured for the entire concentration range using Seta-flash closed cup tester based on the ASTM D3278 method. The closed cup flash point temperature was estimated using the UNIFAC(Universal Functional Activity Coefficient) group contribution model. The experimentally derived flash point was also compared with the predicted flash point from the UNIFAC model. The UNIFAC model is able to estimate the flash point fairly well for n-octane+n-decane mixture and n-octane+n-dodecane mixture.
Supported by : 세명대학교
- D. A. Crowl and J. F. Louver, "Chemical Process Safety Fundamentals with Applications", Prentice-Hall, 1990.
- L. Y. Phoon, A. A. Mustaffa, H. Hashim and R. Mat, "A Review of Flash Point Prediction Models for Flammable Liquid Mixtures", Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., Vol. 53, pp. 12523-12565, 2014.
- T. Khalili and A. Z. Moghaddam, "Measurement and Caluation of Flash Point of Binary Aqueous-Organic and Organic-Organic Solutions", Fluid Phsae Equilibria, Vol. 312, pp. 101-105, 2006.
- Regulations, "Regulation(EC) No. 1272/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council, on Classification, Labeling and Packaging of Substances and Mixtures, Amending and Repealing Directives 67/548/EEC and 1999/45/Ec, and Amending Regulation(EC) No. 1907/ 2006", Official J. Eur. Union, L353, 2008.
- R. C. Lance, A. J. Barnard and J. E. Hooymanm, "Measurement of Flash Points : Apparatus, Methodology, Applications", J. of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 3, pp. 107-119, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3894(79)85008-6
- W. A. Affens and G. W. Mclaren, "Flammability Properties of Hydrocarbon Solutions in Air", J. of Chem. Ind. Eng. Chem., Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 482-488, 1972.
- H. L. Chatelier, "Estimation of Firedamp by Flammability Limits", Ann. Minmes, Vol. 19, No. 8, pp. 388-395, 1891.
- B. Hanley, "A Model for the Calculation and the Verification of Closed Cup Flash Points for Multicomponent Mixtures", Process Saf. Prog., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 86-97, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1002/prs.680170204
- B. E. Poling, J. M. Prausnitz, and J. P. O'Connell, "The Properties of Gases and Liquids", 5th Ed., McGraw-Hill, New York, 2001.
- H. J. Liaw, Y. H. Lee, C. L. Tang, H. H. Hsu and J. H. Liu, "A Mathematical Model for Predicting the Flash Point of Binary Solutions", J. of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 15, pp. 429-438, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(02)00068-2
- H. Renon and J. M. Prausnitz, "Local Compositions in Thermodynamic Excess Functions for Liquid Mixtures", AICHE Journal, Vol. 14, pp. 135-144, 1968. https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690140124
- D. M. Ha, S.J. Lee and M. H. Back, "The Measurement and Estimation of the Lower Flash Points for the Flammable Binary Systems using Tag Open-Cup Tester", Korean J. Chem. Eng., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 551-555, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-007-0001-2
- G. M. Wilson, "Vapor Liquid Equilibrium. XI. A New Expression for the Excess Free Energy of Mixing", Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 86, pp. 127-130, 1964. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01056a002
- S. Y. Kim and B. A. Lee, "A Prediction Model for Flash Point of Binary Liquid Mixtures", J. of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp. 166-169, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2009.07.008
- S. Balasubramonian, R. K. Srivastav, S. Kumar, D. Sivakumar, M. Sampath, U. Kamachi, and R. Natarajan, "Flash Point Prediction for the Binary Mixture of Phosphatic Solvents and n-Dodecane from UNIFAC Group Contribution Model", J. of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 33, pp. 183-187, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2014.12.012
- S. Kumar and S.B. Koganti, "An Empirical Equation for Vapor Pressure of tri-n-Butyl Phosphate in the Temperature Range of 273.15 to 562.15 K", Nucl. Technol., Vol. 126, pp. 237-239, 1999. https://doi.org/10.13182/NT99-A2971
- C. L. Yaws, Chemcal Properties Hand Book, McGraw-Hill Education, 1999.
- D. M. Ha and S. J. Lee, "The Flash Point Measurement for Binary Flammable Mixture", KIGAS, Vo. 18, No. 5, pp. 60-65, 2014.
- In 2011 Annual Book of ASTM Standards ; ASTM International, "Standard Test Methods for Flash Point of Liquids by Small Scale Closed-Cup Apparatus(ASTM D3278)", West Conshohocken, PA, 2011.
- A. Fredenslund, J. Gmehling and P. Rasmussen, Connell, "Vapor-Liquid Equilibria using UNIFAC", Elsevier, 1977.
- J. Gmehing, U. Onken and W. Arlt, "Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium Data Collection", Vol. 1, Part1-Part7, DECHEMA, 1980.
- J. Lim, S. Jang, H. Kim, H. K. Cho, and M. S. Shin, "Solubility of Triclocarban in Pure Alkanols at Different Temperatures", Korean J. Chem. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 181-186, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-012-0099-8