- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Protein Foam Agent by Stabilizer on the Ship Fire Extinguishment
선박화재 적용 단백포 소화약제의 안정제에 따른 소화특성
- Lee, Eungwoo (Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd.) ;
- Shin, Changsub (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2015.05.24
- Accepted : 2015.08.18
- Published : 2015.08.31
Onboard fire extinguishing system is important to protect cargo and human lives and every oil tanker has foam type fire extinguishing system. Because of environmental problem, agent which contains materials such as Perfluorinated compounds are regulated and the development of the environmental friendly agent is required. The protein foam has less environmental pollution problem and has an excellent fire extinguish performance to oil fire. In the research, bivalency metal salts were added as stabilizer to increase fire resistance and stability of the foam. Ferrous sulfate, Iron chloride and Nickel chloride were used and to adjust to vessel, sea water was applied. As a stabilizer increased, the expansion ratio was raised. However 25% drainage time was decreased over 2.0 wt.% which is knowable that the foam brokes easily. The amount of generated foam was measured to check fluidity of foam and it appeared that when
Supported by : 충북대학교
- IMO MSC/Circ. 1312, Revised Guidelines for the Performance and Testing Criteria, and Surveys of Foam Concentrates for Fixed Fire-Extinguishing System, 2009.
- T. H. Schaefer, B. Z. Dlugogorski and E. M. Kennedy, "Sealability Properties of Fluorine-free Fire Fighting Foams", Fire Technology, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 297-309. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10694-007-0030-8
- B. Williams, T. Murray, C. Butterworth, Z. Burger, R. Sheinson, J. Fleming, C. Whitehurst and J. Farley, "Extinguishment and Burnback Tests of Fluorinated and Fluoring-free Fire Fighting Foams with and without Film Formation", Suppression, Detection and Signaling Research and Applications- A Technical Working Conference (SUPDET), Orlando, Florida, 2011.
- H. Y. Kim, J. S. Nam and D. H. Lee, "Analysis of Performance and Development of Environment-friendly High Expansion Foam Concentrate", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 25-29, 2010.
- Technical Standards for Type Approval and Product Tests of Fire Extinguishing Agent, Ministry of Public Safety and Security Bulletin, No. 2015-68, 2015.
- H. J. Jeong and C. S. Shin, "The Extinguishing Characteristics by Fluidity Variation of Protein Foam Extinguishing Agent", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 18-23, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2014.29.2.018
- A.M. Tafreshi and M. D. Marzo, "Foams and Gels as Fire Protection Agents", Fire Safety Journal, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 295-305, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(99)00031-4
- H. J. Kim, "Study on Storage Properties of the Protein Foam Agent", Korea Fire Institute, 1987.
- B. Z. Dlugogorski, A. J. Laundress, M. S. Rayson and E. M. Kennedy, "Small Scale Test Protocol for Fire Fighting Foams DEF(AUST)5706: Effect of Bubble Size Distribution and Expansion Ratio", Fire Technology, Vol. 47, No. 1. pp. 149-162, 2011.
- H. A. Alsaati, D. Dizler, V. Burapatana and R. D. Tanner, "using Egg Albumin Foam to Extinguishing Fires", Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, Vol. 46, No. 4, pp. 735-740. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-89132003000400029
- R. Ananth, E. A. Fallows, J. P. Farley and J. W. Fleming, "Suppression Mechanism of High Expansion Aqueous Foams: A Conmparison between Numerical Simulations and Cup Burner Experiments", Suppression, Detection and Signaling Research and Applications- A Technical Working Conference(SUPDET), Orlando, Florida, 2011.