- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Safety of Small LPG Storage Tanks at External Fires
외부화재시 LPG 소형저장탱크의 안전성에 관한 연구
- Yim, Ji-Pyo (Korea Occupational Safety & Health Agency) ;
- Ma, Byung-Chol (National Institute of Chemical Safety) ;
- Chung, Chang-Bock (School of Applied Chemical Engineering, Chonnam National University)
- Received : 2015.03.11
- Accepted : 2015.06.17
- Published : 2015.08.31
The purpose of this study is to study the safety of a small LPG storage tank with a capacity less than 3 ton when it is exposed to an external fire. First, simulation studies were carried out using ASPEN Plus and PHAST to demonstrate that overpressurization in the tank can be relieved by discharging the LPG through an adequately sized safety valve, but the release may lead to the secondary risk of fire and explosion around the tank. Next, the temporal variations of the temperatures of the lading and tank wall were obtained using AFFTAC, which showed that the tank wall adjacent to the vapor space could be overheated in about 11 min to such a point that the weakened strength might cause a rupture of the tank and subsequent BLEVE. The consequences of the BLEVE were estimated using PHAST. Finally, several practical measures for preventing the hazards of overheating were suggested, including an anti-explosion device, sprinkling system, insulation, heat-proof coating, and enhanced safety factor for tank fabrication. The effectiveness of these measures were examined by simulations using AFFTAC and ASPEN Plus.
Supported by : 전남대학교
- J. -H. Lee, S. -H. Um and R. -H. Kim, "Reform Method for Installation Criterion of Pressure Safety Valve Discharge Pipe for LPG", Journal of the Korea Institute of Gas, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 59-64. 2012. https://doi.org/10.7842/kigas.2012.16.4.59
- L. -S. Lee and Y. -S. Lee, "A Study on the Proability of BLEVE of Above-ground LPG Storage Tanks Exposed to External Fire", Journal of the Korea Institute of Gas, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 19-23. 2003.
- J. -G. Yoon, "The Study for Cause of Boo-choon LPG Station Accident", Journal of the Korean Institute Industry of Safety, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 31-34. 2001.
- KOSHA Guide D-18, "Technical Guideline for Design and Installation of Safety Valve", KOSHA, pp. 7-10, 2012.
- API STD 521, "Pressure-relieving and Depressuring Systems", API, pp. 36-223. 2014.
- KOSHA Guide D-26, "Technical Guideline for Pocess Safety Valve", KOSHA, pp. 1-32. 2012.
- Gabriele Landucci, Menso Molag & Valerio Cozzani, "Modeling the Performance of Coated LPG Tanks Engulfed in Fires", Journal of Hazardous Material, Vol. 172, pp. 447-456. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.07.029
- C. -W. Son, "The Way to Shorten Response Time for Fire Damage Reduction", DAEGU's Administrative Hard Study, Vol. 22, pp. 979-994. 2010.
- Edward Zamejc, "API Standard 521 New Alternative Method to Evaluate Fire Relief for Pressure Relief Device Sizing and Depressuring System Design", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 27, pp. 21-31. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2013.10.016
- A.M. Birk, D. Poirier and C. Davison "On the Response of 500 Gal Propane Tanks to a 25% Engulfing Fire", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 19, pp. 527-541, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2005.12.008
- F. Heymes, L. Aprin, A.M. Birk, P. Slangen, J.B. Jarry, H. Francois and G. Dusserre, "An Experimental Study of an LPG Tank at Low Filling Level Heated by a Remote Wall Fire", Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, Vol. 26, pp. 1484-1491. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2013.09.015
- R. R. Scott, "Users Manual for AFFTAC 4.00 Beta 06", The Railway Progress Institute and the Association of American Railroads, pp. 11-159. 2013.
- T. A. Rpberts, I. Buckland, L.C Shirvill, B. J. Lowesmith and P. Salater, "Design and Protection of Pressure Systems to Withstand Severe Fires", Process Safety and Environment Protection, Vol. 82, pp. 89-96, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1205/095758204322972735
- KOSHA Guide P-107, "Guideline for Selection of the Worst Leak Scenario", KOSHA, pp. 1-14. 2012.
- KOSHA Guide P-110, "Technical Guideline for Damage Minimization Measure of Chemical Factory", KOSHA, pp. 1-22. 2012.
- KOSHA Guide P-102, "Technical Guideline for Consequence Analysis", KOSHA, pp. 12-14. 2012.
- Review of Safety for Pressure-Relieving Systems of Small to Middle Scale Chemical Plants vol.30, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14346/JKOSOS.2015.30.6.48