- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
A Forensic Engineering Study on Evaluation of Explosive Pressure and Velocity for LNG Explosion Accident using AUTODYN
AUTODYN을 이용한 LNG 폭발 사고 위력 평가에 관한 법공학적 연구
- Kim, Eui Soo (National Forensic Service) ;
- Kim, Jong Hyuk (National Forensic Service) ;
- Shim, Jong Heon (National Forensic Service) ;
- Kim, Jin Pyo (National Forensic Service) ;
- Goh, Jae Mo (National Forensic Service) ;
- Park, Nam Kyu (National Forensic Service)
- 김의수 (국립과학수사연구원) ;
- 김종혁 (국립과학수사연구원) ;
- 심종헌 (국립과학수사연구원) ;
- 김진표 (국립과학수사연구원) ;
- 고재모 (국립과학수사연구원) ;
- 박남규 (국립과학수사연구원)
- Received : 2015.02.06
- Accepted : 2015.07.01
- Published : 2015.08.31
Gas explosion accidents could cause a catastrophe. we need specialized and systematic accident investigation techniques to shed light on the cause and prevent similar accidents. In this study, we had performed LNG explosion simulation using AUTODYN which is the commercial explosion program and predicted the damage characteristics of the structures by LNG explosive power. In the first step, we could get LNG's physical and chemical explosion properties by calculation using TNT equivalency method. And then, by applying TNT equivalency value about the explosion limit concentration of LNG on the 2D-AUTODYN simulation, we could get the explosion pressure wave profiles (explosion pressure, explosion velocity, etc.). In the last step, we performed LNG explosion simulation by applying to the explosion pressure wave profiles as the input data on the 3D-AUTODYN simulation. As a result, we had performed analyzing of the explosion characteristics of LNG in accordance with concentration through the 3D-AUTODYN simulation in terms of the explosion pressure behavior and structure's destruction and damage behavior.
forensic engineering;gas explosion;TNT equivalency method;explosion limit;AUTODYN
- "Annual Gas Accident Statistics", Gas Accident Almanac, Korea Gas Safety Corporation, pp. 27-32, 2013.
- J. I. Bae, Y. S. Kim, Y. C. Seo and C. S. Shin, "Explosion Characteristics of Nonhomogeneous LPG-Air Mixtures", Journal of Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Safety, Vol.8, No.4, pp.114-119, 1993.
- J. W. Choi, D. H. Lee, T. G. Kim, W. C. Min, W. S. Lim and B. S. Choi, "A Study on the Explosion Phenomenon and Flame Propagation of LP Gas", KIGAS, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 65-69, 2007.
- J. W. Choi, I. S. Lee and S. T. Park, "The Explosion Characteristics of City Gas on the Chang of Oxygen Concentration and Pressure", KIGAS, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 38-43, 2005.
- K. H. Oh, H.Kim, S. S. Kim, Y. D. Jo, J. W. Jo and S. K. Oh, "A Study on the Vented Gas Explosion Characteristics of Indoor Leakage of the LPG", KIGAS, Vol.3, No.3, pp. 51-57, 1999.
- J. H. Jo and Y. S. Lee, "Numerical Simulation of Failure Mechanism of PELE Perforating Thin Target Plates", Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol.36, No.12, pp.1577-1583, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.12.1577
- J. H. Jo, Y. S. Lee and H. L. Jin, "Numerical Simulation of Steel/Kevlar Hybrid Composite Helmet Subjected to Ballistic Impact", Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol.36, No.12, pp.1569-1575, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2012.36.12.1569
- J. H. Jo, Y. S. Lee, J. H. Kim and Y. W. Bae, "Analysis of Hypervelocity Impact Fracture Behavior of Multiple Bumper Steel Plates", Trans. Korean Soc. Mech. Eng. A, Vol.37, No.6, pp.761-768, 2013. https://doi.org/10.3795/KSME-A.2013.37.6.761
- K. H. Oh, H. S. Kim and C. H. Lee, "A Study on The Explosion Characteristics of Flammable Gases", Journal of Korean Institute of Industrial Safety, Vol.7, No.3, pp.66-72, 1992.
- S. Dan, D. J. Moon, E. S. Yoon and D Shin, "Analysis of Gas Explosion Consequence Models for the Explosion Risk Control in the New Gas Energy Filling Stations", American Chemical Society, Vol.52, No.22, pp. 7265-7273, 2013.
- S. B. Vanessa and S. P. Dale, "Reinforced Concrete Structure Failure Mechanisms Resulting from Explosivelyinduced Overpressure", International Society of Explosives Engineers, Vol. 1, pp. 1-11, 2004.
- M. S. Cowler and T. Wilson, "A Parallel Algorithm for the Deformation and Interaction of Structures Modeled with Lagrange Meshes in AutoDyn-3D", 3rd International Symposium on Impact Engineering, 1998.
- S. B.Vanessa and S. P. Dale, "Shaped Charge Induced Concrete Damage Predictions Using RHT Constitutive Modeling", International Society of Explosives Engineers, Vol. 2, pp. 1-11, 2004.
- W. K. Crowl, "Structures to Resist the Effects of Accidental Explosions, Technical Manual TM 5-1300", U.S. Army, Navy, and Air Force, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington D.C., 1969.
- J. W. Choi, I. S. Lee and S. T. Park, "The Explosion Characteristics of City Gas on the Change of Oxygen Concentration and Pressure", Journal of the Korean Institute of Gas, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 38-43, 2005.