- Volume 30 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Development of Integrity Evaluation Instrument for the Power Line Surge Protective Device
전원용 SPD의 건전성 평가 장치 개발
- Chang, Sughun (Korea Electrotechnology Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Youngjin (Changwon National University) ;
- Kim, Sungju (Changwon National University) ;
- Kim, Jaehyung (Changwon National University)
- Received : 2015.06.03
- Accepted : 2015.07.21
- Published : 2015.08.31
This paper deals with development of integrity evaluation instrument for the power line surge protective device. A reliable power supply is an essential element in the developed information and communication society by highly advances in IT technology. However, the lightning incidence also increased with the recent extreme weather events. In Korea, in order to protect the electrical system from lightning surge, SPD(Surge Protective Device) has been used for these past 30 years. However, the method of diagnosing the safety of the SPD in the industry is insufficient. In this paper, SPD integrity evaluation system was composed of a variable DC power source unit, voltage-current sensor and the embedded controller. In order to measure V-I characteristics of MOV, 3 type samples were degraded by impulse current generator. After impulse tests, the varistor voltage of all samples and nonlinearity coefficient were decreased. It confirmed the utility of the developed equipment by this experimental test and the reliability of SPD is expected for surge accident prevention when applied to industrial plant.
- Vernon Cooray, "Lightning Protection", The Institution of Engineering and Technology, London, United Kingdom, pp. 23-30, 2010.
- M. Matsuoka, "Nonlinear Properties of Zinc Oxide Ceramics", Jpn. J. Appl. Phys., Vol.10, pp.736-746, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1143/JJAP.10.736
- IEC 61643-11 "Low-voltage Surge Protective Devices- Part11: Surge Protective Devices Connected to Low-voltage Power Systems-Requirements and Test Methods", 2011.
- M. Oyama, I. Ohshima and M. Honda, "Life Performance of Zinc-oxide Elements under DC Voltage", IEEE Trans., Vol. PAS-101, No.6, pp.1364-1368, 1982.
- J. Lundquist, L. Stensrom and A.Schei, "New Method for Measurement of Resistive Leakage Currents of Metal Oxide Surge Arrester in Service", IEEE Trans., Vol.5, No.4, pp. 1811-1822, 1990.
- IEEE Standard C62.33 "Test Specifications for Varistor Surge-Protective Devices", 1989.
- R. B. Standler, "Protection of Electric Circuit from Overvoltages", John Wiley & Sons, Inc., pp.133-145, 1989.