- Volume 48 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Heavy Metal(loid) Levels in Paddy Soils and Brown Rice in Korea
- Kunhikrishnan, Anitha (Chemical Safety Division, Department of Agro-Food Safety, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Go, Woo-Ri (Chemical Safety Division, Department of Agro-Food Safety, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Park, Jin-Hee (Geologic Environment Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Kim, Kwon-Rae (Department of Agronomy and Medicinal Plant Resources, Gyeongnam National Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Kim, Hyuck-Soo (Chemical Safety Division, Department of Agro-Food Safety, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Kye-Hoon (Department of Environmental Horticulture, University of Seoul) ;
- Kim, Won-Il (Chemical Safety Division, Department of Agro-Food Safety, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Cho, Nam-Jun (Chemical Safety Division, Department of Agro-Food Safety, National Academy of Agricultural Science)
- Received : 2015.09.24
- Accepted : 2015.10.26
- Published : 2015.10.31
There is an increasing concern over heavy metal(loid) contamination of soil in agricultural areas including paddy soils. This study was conducted to monitor the background levels of heavy metal(loid)s, arsenic (As), cadmium (Cd), copper (Cu), mercury (Hg), nickel (Ni), lead (Pb), and zinc (Zn) in major rice growing soils and its accumulation in brown rice in Korea. The samples were collected from 82 sites nationwide in the year 2012. The mean and range values of As, Cd, Cu, Hg, Ni, Pb, and Zn in paddy soils were 4.41 (0.16-18.9), 0.25 (0.04-0.82), 13.24 (3.46-27.8), 0.047 (0.01-0.20), 13.60 (3.78-35.0), 21.31 (8.47-36.7), and 54.10
- Adriano, D.C. 2001. Trace elements in terrestrial environments: Biogeochemistry, bioavailability and risks of metals. 2nd ed., Springer, New York.
- Ahmed, Z.U., G.M. Panaullah, H. Gauch, S.R. McCouch, W. Tyagi, M.S. Kabir, and J.M. Duxbury. 2010. Genotype and environment effects on rice (Oryza sativa L.) grain arsenic concentration in Bangladesh. Plant Soil 338:367-382.
- Al-Saleh, I. and N. Shinwari. 2001. Report on the levels of cadmium, lead, and mercury in imported rice grain samples. Biol. Trace Elem. Res. 83:91-96. https://doi.org/10.1385/BTER:83:1:91
- Basta, N.T., J.A. Ryan, and R.L. Chaney. 2005. Trace element chemistry in residual-treated soil: Key concepts and metal bioavailability. J. Environ. Qual. 34:49-63. https://doi.org/10.2134/jeq2005.0049dup
- Bhattacharya, P., A.C. Samal, J. Majumdar, and S.C. Santra. 2010. Accumulation of arsenic and its distribution in rice plant (Oryza sativa L.) in Gangetic West Bengal, India. Paddy Water Environ. 8:63-70. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10333-009-0180-z
- Bolan, N.S., A. Kunhikrishnan, R. Thangarajan, J. Kumpiene, JH. Park, T. Makino, MB. Kirkham, and K. Scheckel. 2014. Remediation of heavy metal(loid)s contaminated soils - To mobilize or to immobilize? J. Hazard. Mater. 266:141-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2013.12.018
- Cardoso, E.J.B.N., R.L.F. Vasconcellos, D. Bini, M.Y.H. Miyauchi, C.A. dos Santos, P.R.L. Alves, A.M. de Paula, A.S. Nakatani, J. de Moraes Pereira, and M.A. Nogueira. 2013. Soil health: looking for suitable indicators. What should be considered to assess the effects of use and management on soil health? Sci. Agric. 70:274-289. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-90162013000400009
- Cheng, F.M., N.C. Zhao, H.M. Xu, Y. Li, W.F. Zhang, Z.W. Zhu, and M.X. Chen. 2006. Cadmium and lead contamination in japonica rice grains and its variation among the different locations in southeast China. Sci. Total Environ. 359:156-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2005.05.005
- FAO/WHO. 2002. Codex Alimentarius General Standards for Contaminants and Toxins in Food. Schedule 1. Maximum and Guideline Levels for Contaminants and Toxins in Food, Joint FAO/WHO Food Standards Programme, Reference CX/FAC 02/16, Codex Committee, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- Feng, J., J. Zhao, X. Bian, and W. Zhang. 2012. Spatial distribution and controlling factors of heavy metals contents in paddy soil and crop grains of rice-wheat cropping system along highway in East China. Environ. Geochem. Health 34:605-614. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-012-9454-2
- Halim, M.A., R.K. Majumder, and M.N. Zaman. 2015. Paddy soil heavy metal contamination and uptake in rice plants from the adjacent area of Barapukuria coal mine, northwest Bangladesh. Arab. J. Geosci. 8:3391-3401. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-014-1480-1
- Huang, R.Q., S.F. Gao, W.L. Wang, S. Staunton, and G. Wang. 2006. Soil arsenic availability and the transfer of soil arsenic to crops in suburban areas in Fujian Province, southeast China. Sci. Total Environ. 368:531-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.03.013
- Jiang, W., Q. Hou, Z. Yang, C. Zhong, G. Zheng, Z. Yang, and J. Li. 2014. Evaluation of potential effects of soil available phosphorus on soil arsenic availability and paddy rice inorganic arsenic content. Environ. Pollut. 188:159-165. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2014.02.014
- Jung, M.C. 1995. Heavy metal contamination of soils, plants, waters and sediments in the vicinity of metalliferous mines in Korea. Ph.D. thesis, University of London, pp 455.
- Jung, M.C. and I. Thornton. 1997. Environmental contamination and seasonal variation of metals in soils, plants and waters in the paddy fields around a Pb-Zn mine in Korea. Sci. Total Environ. 198:105-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(97)05434-X
- Kashem, M.A. and B.R. Singh. 2001. Metal availability in contaminated soils: Effects of flooding and organic matter on changes in Eh, pH and solubility of Cd, Ni and Zn. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosys. 61:247-255. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013762204510
- Kim, W.I., J.E. Yang, G.B. Jung, B.J. Park, S.W. Park, J.K. Kim, O.K. Kwon, and G.H. Ryu. 2007. Bioavailability and safety issues of heavy metals in paddy soil-rice continuum in Korea. Food and fertilizer technology center (FFTC), 597:14 pages.
- Kosolsaksakul, P., J.G. Farmer, I.W. Oliver, and M.C. Graham. 2014. Geochemical associations and availability of cadmium (Cd) in a paddy field system, northwestern Thailand. Environ. Pollut. 187:153-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2014.01.006
- Kwon, J.C., M.C. Jung, and M.H. Kang, 2013. Contents and seasonal variations of arsenic in paddy soils and rice crops around the abandoned metal mines. Econ. Environ. Geol. 46:329-338. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2013.46.4.329
- Liu, W.X., J.W. Liu, M.Z. Wu, Y. Li, Y. Zhao, and S.R. Li. 2009. Accumulation and translocation of toxic heavy metals in winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) growing in agricultural soil of Zhengzhou, China. Bull. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 82:343-347. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00128-008-9575-6
- Machiwa, JF. 2010. Heavy metal levels in paddy soils and rice (Oryza sativa (L)) from wetlands of lake Victoria basin, Tanzania. Tanz. J. Sci. 36:59-72.
- MOE. 2007. Examination of heavy metal contamination of soils in abandoned metal mine sites in Korea. Korean Ministry of Environment, Seoul.
- Payus, C. and A.F.A. Talip. 2014. Assessment of heavy metals accumulation in paddy rice (Oryza sativa). Afr. J. Agric. Res. 9:3082-3090. https://doi.org/10.5897/AJAR2014.8760
- Park, SW., J.S. Yang, J.K. Kim, B.J. Park, W.I. Kim, J.H. Choi, O.K. Kwon, and G.H. Ryu. 2008. Mercury contents of paddy soil in Korea and its uptake to rice plant. J. Fd Hyd. Safety 23:6-14.
- Rogan, N., T. Serafimovski, R. Jacimovic, M. Dolenec, and T. Dolenec. 2007. Major and trace elements in rice seeds from Kocani Field (Macedonia). Acta Chim. Slov. 54:623-634.
- Satarug, S., J.R. Baker, S. Urbenjapol, M. Haswell-Elkins, P.E.B. Reilly, D.J. Williams, and M.R. Moore. 2003. A global perspective on cadmium pollution and toxicity in non-occupationally exposed population. Toxicol. Lett. 137: 65-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-4274(02)00381-8
- Satpathy, D., MV. Reddy, and S.P. Dhal. 2014. Risk assessment of heavy metals contamination in paddy soil, plants, and grains (Oryza sativa L.) at the East Coast of India. BioMed Res. Internat. 2014, Article ID 545473, 11 pages.
- Simmons, R.W., P. Pongsakul, D. Saiyasitpanich, and S. Klinphoklap. 2005. Elevated levels of cadmium and zinc in paddy soils and elevated levels of cadmium in rice grain downstream of a zinc mineralized area in Thailand: Implications for public health. Environ. Geochem. Health 27:501-511. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-005-7857-z
- Wuana, R.A. and F.E. Okieimen. 2011. Heavy metals in contaminated soils: A review of sources, chemistry, risks and best available strategies for remediation. ISRN Ecol. 2011, Article ID 402647, p.20.
- Yang, J.E., J.G. Skousen, Y.S. Ok, K.R. Yoo, and H.J. Kim. 2006. Reclamation of abandoned coal mine wastes using lime cake by-products in Korea. Mine Water Environ. 25:227-232. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10230-006-0137-z
- Zeng, F., S. Ali, H. Zhang, Y. Ouyang, B. Qiu, F. Wu, and G. Zhang. 2011. The influence of pH and organic matter content in paddy soil on heavy metal availability and their uptake by rice plants. Environ. Pollut. 159:84-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2010.09.019
- Zeng, F.R., Y. Mao, W.D. Cheng, F.B. Wu, and G.P. Zhang. 2008. Genotypic and environmental variation in chromium, cadmium and lead concentrations in rice. Environ. Pollut. 153:309-314. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2007.08.022
- Zhang, C., P. Wu, C. Tang, Z. Han, and J. Sun. 2013. Assessment of arsenic distribution in paddy soil and rice plants of a typical karst basin affected by acid mine drainage in Southwest China. Environ. Pollut. 2, doi:10.5539/ep.v2n2p27. https://doi.org/10.5539/ep.v2n2p27
- Zhao, K., W. Zhang, L. Zhou, X. Liu, J. Xu, and P. Huang. 2009. Modeling transfer of heavy metals in soil-rice system and their risk assessment in paddy fields. Environ. Earth Sci. 59:519-527. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-009-0049-x
- Zhao, K.L., W. Fu, Z. Ye, and C. Zhang. 2015. Contamination and spatial variation of heavy metals in the soil-rice system in Nanxun County, Southeastern China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 12:1577-1594. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph120201577
- Zhao, K.L., X.M. Liu, J.M. Xu, and H.M. Selim. 2010. Heavy metal contaminations in a soil-rice system: Identification of spatial dependence in relation to soil properties of paddy fields. J. Hazard. Mater. 181:778-787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2010.05.081
- Spatial distribution, mineralogy, and weathering of heavy metals in soils along zinc-concentrate ground transportation routes: implication for assessing heavy metal sources vol.76, pp.23, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-7158-8