- Volume 48 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Hydraulic Characteristics of Mountainous Forest Soils in Korea and Applicability of Pedotransfer Functions
- Jung, Kangho (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Sonn, Yeonkyu (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Hur, Seungoh (Division of Agro-Materials Safety Evaluation, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Ha, Sangkeun (Division of Soil and Fertilizer, National Academy of Agricultural Science, RDA) ;
- Jung, Munho (Institute of Mine Reclamation Technology, Mine Reclamation Corporation)
- Received : 2015.10.05
- Accepted : 2015.10.13
- Published : 2015.10.31
Pedotransfer functions (PTFs) were developed for each soil horizon to estimate hydraulic characteristics of mountainous forest soils in South Korea. Twenty one dominant soil series from 8 soil catenae such as granite-originated catena and volcanic ash-originated catena were selected for the study; gravel contents of selected soils were 10% or lower. Saturated conductivity (Ks) was measured for each horizon in situ. Particle size distribution and organic matter content of each horizon were also determined. Based on correlation analysis with total data set, sand separate showed positive relationship with Ks (
- Agricultural Science Institute (ASI). 1992. Introduction of Korean Soil. ASI. Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- Campbell, G.S. 1985. Soil Physics with Basic. Elsevier. NY, USA.
- Cosby, B.J., G.M. Hornberger, R.B., Clapp, and T.R. Ginn. 1984. A statistical exploration of the relationship of soil moisture characteristics to the physical properties of soils. Water Resour. Res. 20:682-690. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR020i006p00682
- Gardner, W.R. 1958. Some steady state solutions of the unsaturated moisture flow equation with application to evaporation from a water table. Soil Sci. 85:228-232. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-195804000-00006
- Hamblin, W.K., and E.H. Christiansen. 2003. Earth's Dynamic Systems. 10th ed. Prentice Hall. NJ, USA.
- Hillel, D. 1998. Environmental Soil Physics: Fundamentals, Applications, and Environmental Considerations. Academic Press, CA, USA.
- Hudson, B. 1994. Soil organic matter and available water capacity. J. Soil Water Conserv. 49:189-193.
- Hur, S., K. Moon, K. Jung, S. Ha, K. Song, H. Lim, G. Kim. 2006. Estimation model for simplification and validation of soil water characteristics curve on volcanic ash soil in subtropical area in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 39: 329-333.
- Jung., Y. and K. Ryu. 1976. Hydraulic characteristics of upland soils in Korea, p.97-119. In: ASI Annual Research Report 1975. ASI. Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- KOSIS. 2014. Korean statistical information service. http://kosis.kr/statisticsList/statisticsList_01List.jsp?vwcd=MT_ZTITLE&parentId=H.
- Lado, M., A. Paz, M. Benhur. 2004. Organic matter and aggregate-size interactions in saturated hydraulic conductivity. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 68:234-242. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2004.2340
- McCuen, R.H. 1982. A Guide to Hydrologic Analysis using SCS Methods. Prentice Hall. Englewood Cliffs. NJ, USA.
- McKenzie, N., H. Cresswell, T. Green. 2002. Field measurement of unsaturated hydraulic conductivity using tension infiltrometer, p.119- 130. In: N. McKenzie, K. Coughlan, N. Cresswell (1st ed). Soil physical measurement and interpretation for land evaluation. CSIRO Publishing. VIC, Austrailia.
- Mishra, S.K. and V.P. Singh. 2003. Soil conservation service curve number methodology. Kluwer Academic Publishers. MA, USA.
- National Academy of Agricultural Science (NAAS), 2014. Taxonomical Classification of Korean Soils. NAAS. Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (NIAST). 2000a. Analysis method of soil and plant. NIAST, Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- National Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology (NIAST). 2000b. Taxonomical Classification of Korean Soils. NIAST. Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- National Soil Survey Center(NSSC). 2002. Field book for describing and sampling soil. Ver. 3.0. USDA-NRCS. USA.
- Oh, J. and K. Ryu. 1973. Survey on water consumption of paddy rice in major soil series in Korea, p.218-244. In: ASI Annual Research Report 1972. ASI. Suwon, Republic of Korea.
- Reynolds, W.D. 1993. Saurated hydraulic conductivity:field measurement. P. 599-613. In: M.R. Carter (9th ed). Soil sampling and Methods of analysis. Lewis Publication. FL, USA.
- Reynolds, W.D. and D.E. Elrick. 1990. Ponded infiltration from a single ring : I. Analysis of steady flow. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 54:233-1241.
- Saxton, K.E., W.J. Rawls, J.S. Romberger, R.I. Papendick. 1986. Estimating generalized soilwater characteristics from texture. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 50:1031-1036. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1986.03615995005000040039x
- Saxton, K.E. and W.J. Rawls. 2006. Soil Water Characteristic Estimates by Texture and Organic Matter for Hydrologic Solutions. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 70:1569-1578. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2005.0117
- Shin, Y. and H. Kim. 1975. Characteristics of volcanic ash soil. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 3:113-119.
- Sonn, Y., H, Cho., B. Hyun, H. Chun, and K. Shin. 2015. Analysis of catena on representative soils derived from granite and granite gneiss. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 48: 255-261. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2015.48.4.255
- Vereecken, H., J. Maes, J. Feyen. 1990. Estimating unsaturated hydraulic conductivity from easily measured soil properties. Soil Sci. 149:1-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00010694-199001000-00001
- Wooding, R.A. 1968. Steady infiltration from a shallow circular pond. Water Resour. Res. 4:1259-1273. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR004i006p01259
- Hydraulic Characteristics of Arable Fields in Korea and Applicability of Pedotransfer Functions vol.49, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2016.49.6.655