- Volume 48 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Distribution of Arsenic Fraction in Soil Around Abandoned Mining Area and Uptake by Rice
- Kim, Hyuck-Soo ;
- Go, Woo-Ri ;
- Kang, Dae-Won ;
- Yoo, Ji-Hyock ;
- Kim, Kye-Hoon ;
- Kim, Won-Il
- Received : 2015.09.16
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
Arsenic (As) contamination of agricultural soils resulting from mining activity has caused major concern due to the potential health risk. Therefore the current study was carried out to investigate the relationship between fractionation of As in soil and rice uptake and to provide a basic information for adequate management of As contaminated agricultural soil. Twenty agricultural soils and rice affected by the abandoned mining sites were collected. Soil chemical properties and As concentrations (total and sequential extracted) in soils were determined and As concentrations in polished rice were analyzed. The average concentration of As in non-specifically adsorbed (F1), specifically adsorbed (F2), amorphous hydrous oxides of Fe and Al (F3), crystalline hydrous oxides of Fe and Al (F4) and residual phase (F5) were 0.08, 1.38, 10.34, 3.26 and
- Cao, X., L.Q. Ma, and A. Shiralipour. 2003. Effects of compost and phosphate amendments on arsenic mobility in soils and arsenic uptake by the hyperaccumulator, Pteris vittata L.. Environ. Pollut. 126:157-167. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(03)00208-2
- Choi, H., S.K. Park, D.S. Kim, and M.H. Kim. 2010. Risk assessment of arsenic in agricultural products. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 29(3):266-272. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2010.29.3.266
- Huang, R.Q., S.F. Gao, W.L. Wang, S. Staunton, and G. Wang. 2006. Soil arsenic availability and the transfer of soil arsenic to crops in suburban areas in Fujian Province, southeast China. Sci. Total Environ. 368:531-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2006.03.013
- Kang, S.S., A.S. Roh, S.C. Choi, Y.S. Kim, H.J. Kim, M.T. Choi, B.K. Ahn, H.W. Kim, H.K. Kim, J.H. Park, Y.H. Lee, S.H. Yang, J.S. Ryu, Y.S. Jang, M.S. Kim, Y.K. Sonn, C.H. Lee, S.G. Ha, D.B. Lee, and Y.H. Kim. 2012. Status and changes in chemical properties of paddy soil in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 45(6):968-972. https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.6.968
- Kim, E.J., J.C. Yoo, and K. Baek. 2014. Arsenic speciation and bioaccessibility in arsenic-contaminated soils:sequential extraction and mineralogical investigation. Environ. Pollut. 186:29-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.11.032
- Lee, C.G., H.T. Chon, and M.C. Jung. 2001. Heavy metal contamination in the vicinity of the Daduk Au-Ag-Pb-Zn mine in Korea. Appl. Geochem. 16:1377-1386. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0883-2927(01)00038-5
- Lee, J.H., W.I. Kim, E.J. Jeong, J.H. Yoo, J.Y. Kim, M.K. Paik, B.J. Park, G.J. Im, and M.K. Hong. 2011. Arsenic contamination of polished rice produced in abandoned mine areas and its potential human risk assessment using probabilistic techniques. Korean J. Environ. Agric. 30(1):43-51. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2011.30.1.43
- Lee. J.S., H.T. Chon, and K.W. Kim. 2005. Human risk assessment of As, Cd, Cu and Zn in the abandoned metal mine site. Environ. Geochem. Health 27:185-191. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10653-005-0131-6
- Lee, J.S., S.W. Lee, H.T. Chon, and K.W. Kim. 2008. Evaluation of human exposure to arsenic due to rice ingestion in the vicinity of abandoned Myungbong Au-Ag mine site, Korea. J. Geochem. Explor. 96:231-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gexplo.2007.04.009
- Lee, P.K., Kang, M.J., Choi, S.H. and S.C. Shin. 2004. Chemical speciation and potential mobility of heavy metals in tailings and contaminated soils. Econ. Environ Geol 37(1):87-98.
- Liu, H., A. Probst, and B. Liao. 2005. Metal contamination of soils and crops affected by the Chenzhou lead/zinc mine spill (Hunan, China). Sci. Total Environ. 339:153-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2004.07.030
- MFDS (Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2006. Research about heavy metal contamination in produce cultivated in mining area. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Seoul, Korea.
- Bech, J., C. Poschenrieder, M. Llugany, J. Barcelo, P. Tume, F.J. Tobias, J.L. Barranzuela, and E.R. Vasquez. 1997. Arsenic and heavy metal contamination of soil and vegetation around a copper mine in Northern Peru. Sci. Total Environ. 203:83-91. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0048-9697(97)00136-8
- Beesley, L., O.S. Inneh, G.J. Norton, E. Moreno-Jimenez, T. Pardo, R. Clemente, and J.J.C. Dawson. 2014. Assessing the influence of compost and biochar amendments on the mobility and toxicity of metals and arsenic in a naturally contaminated mine soil. Environ. Pollut. 186:195-202. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2013.11.026
- MIRECO (Mine Reclamation Corp.). 2015. Yearbook of MIRECO statistics. MIRECO, Seoul, Korea.
- MOE (Ministry of Environment). 2007. Annual report on the detailed survey of soil contamination near closed metal mine. MOE, Gwacheon, Korea.
- MOE (Ministry of Environment). 2008. Annual report on the detailed survey of soil contamination near closed metal mine. MOE, Gwacheon, Korea.
- Moreno- Jimenez, E., E. Esteban, and J.M. Penalosa. 2012. The fate of Arsenic in the soil-plant system, p.1-37. In: Whitacre DM (ed.) Reviews of environmental contamination and toxicology. Springer, New York, USA.
- NIFDS (National Institute of Food and Drug Safety Evaluation). 2009. A study on the organic and inorganic arsenic in agricultural products. NIFDS, Cheongju, Korea.
- RDA (Rural development administration). 2013. Monitoring project on agro-environmental quality. RDA, Jeonju, Korea.
- Wenzel., W.W., N. Krichbaumer, T. Prohaska, G. Stingeder, E. Lombi, and D.C. Adriano. 2001. Arsenic fractionation in soils using an improved sequential extraction procedure. Anal. Chim. Acta 436:309-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-2670(01)00924-2
Grant : 벼 핵심집단 등숙기 종자의 이온체분석 및 대량 물질프로파일 구축