- Volume 48 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Effects of Organic Matter Concentration in Soil on Phytoavailability of Cadmium in Medicinal Plants
- Noh, Yong-dong ;
- Kim, Kwon-Rae ;
- Kim, Won-Il ;
- Jung, Ki-Yuol ;
- Hong, Chang Oh
- Received : 2015.07.21
- Accepted : 2015.09.19
- Published : 2015.10.31
The safety of plant species used as a source for herbal medicines and dietary supplements has recently been questioned due to poisonings associated with the presence of cadmium (Cd) in these plants. These plants can derive Cd from their presence in the soil. Organic matter (OM) concentrations in soils could affect the availability of Cd for plants. To determine the effect of OM concentration in soil on the concentration of plant available Cd and uptake of this toxic element by medicinal plants, soil and plant samples were collected from 102 fields supporting for 5 species of medicinal plants in 6 province of South Korea. Concentrations of OM and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) in soils affected the phytoavailability of Cd. One M
Organic matter;Dissolved organic matter;Cadmium;Mobilization
- Kim, K.R., G. Owens, R. Naidu, and K.H. Kim. 2007. Assessment Techniques of Heavy Metal Bioavailability in Soil - A critical review, Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 40:311-325.
- Lee, M.K, J.S. Park, H.C. Lim, and H.S. Na. 2008. Determination of heavy metal contents in medicinal herb, Korean J. Food Preserv. 15:253-260.
- Lipoth, S.L. and J.J. Schoenau. 2007. Copper, zinc, and cadmium accumulation in two prairie soils and crops as influenced by repeated applications of manure. J. Plant Nutrition Soil Sci., 170:378-386. https://doi.org/10.1002/jpln.200625007
- Li, S., R. Liu, M. Wang, X. Wang, H. Shan, and H. Wang. 2006. Phytoavailability of cadmium to cherry-red radish in soils applied composted chicken or pig manure. Geoderma. 136:260-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2006.03.054
- Liu, L., H. Chen, P. Cai, W. Liang, and Q. Huang. 2009. Immobilization and phytotoxicity of Cd in contaminated soil amended with chicken manure compost. J Hazard Mater. 163:563-567. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2008.07.004
- MAFRA(Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs). 2013. 2012 Report of statistical data for production amount of special crops.
- McBride, M.B. 1994. Environmental chemistry of soils. Chapter 9. Trace and toxic elements in soils. p.308-341. Oxford University Press. Inc, NY, USA.
- Meers, E., G. Du Laing, V. Unamuno, A. Ruttens, J. Vangronsveld, F.M.G. Tack, and M.G. Verloo. 2007. Comparison of cadmium extractability from soils by commonly used single extraction protocols. Geoderma, 141:247-259. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2007.06.002
- MFDS(Ministry of Food and Drug Safety). 2014. Publication of National Standard of Traditional Medicinal (Herbal and Botanical) Materials.
- Pinamonti, F.L.A.V.I.O., G.I.N.O. Stringari, F.L.A.V.I.A. Gasperi, and G.I.A.N.N.I. Zorzi. 1997. The use of compost: its effects on heavy metal levels in soil and plants. Resour Conserv Recy. 21:129-143. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-3449(97)00032-3
- RDA(Rural Development Administration). 2013. Official Standard of Commercial Fertilizer.
- Ruby, M.W., A. Davis, T.E. Link, R. Schoof, R.L. Chaney, G.B. Freeman, and P. Bergstrom. 1993. Development of an in vitro screening test to evaluate the in vivo bioaccessibility of ingested mine-waste lead. Environ Sci Technol. 27:2870-2877. https://doi.org/10.1021/es00049a030
- Symeonides, C. and S.G. McRae. 1977. The assessment of plant-available cadmium in soils, J. Environ Qual. 6:120-123.
- Ure, A.M., P.H. Quevauviller, H. Muntau, and B. Griepink. 1993. Speciation of heavy metals in soils and sediments. An account of the improvement and harmonization of extraction techniques undertaken under the auspices of the BCR of the Commission of the European Communities. Int J Environ An Ch. 51:135-151. https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319308027619
- Wong, J.W.C., K.L. Li, L.X. Zhou, and A. Selvam. 2007. The sorption of Cd and Zn by different soils in the presence of dissolved organic matter from sludge. Geoderma. 137: 310-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2006.08.026
- Van Ranst, E., M. Verloo, A. Demeyer, and J.M. Pauwels. 1999. Manual for the soil chemistry and fertility laboratory. Ghent University, Faculty Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences. pp.243.
- Allison, L., W.B. Bollen, and C.D. Moodie. 1965. Total carbon. p.1346-1366. In: C.A. Black et al.(ed.). Methods of soil analysis. Part 2. Agron. Monogr. 9. ASA, Madison, WI, USA.
- Antoniadis, V. and B.J. Alloway. 2002. The role of dissolved organic carbon in the mobility of Cd, Ni and Zn in sewage sludge-amended soils. Environ Pollut, 117(3):515-521. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0269-7491(01)00172-5
- Bolan, N.S., D.C., Adriano, P. Duraisamy, A. Mani, and K. Arulmozhiselvan. 2003a. Immobilization and phytoavailability of cadmium in variable charge soils. I. Effect of phosphate addition. Plant Soil, 250:83-94. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022826014841
- Bolan, N.S., D.C. Adriano, P.A. Mani, and A. Duraisamy, 2003b. Immobilization and phytoavailability of cadmium in variable charge soils. II. Effect of lime addition. Plant Soil, 251:187-198. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1023037706905
- Bolan, N.S., D.C. Adriano, P. Duraisamy, and A. Mani. 2003c. Immobilization and phytoavailability of cadmium in variable charge soils. III. Effect of biosolid compost addition. Plant Soil, 256:231-241. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026288021059
- He, Q.B. and B.R. Singh. 1993. Plant availability of cadmium in soils: I. Extractable cadmium in newly and long-term cultivated soils. Acta Agr Scand B-S P, 43:134-141.
- Hong, C.O., D.K. Lee, D.Y. Chung, and P.J. Kim. 2007. Liming effects on cadmium stabilization in upland soil affected by gold mining activity. Arch Environ Con Tox, 52:496-502. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00244-006-0097-0
- Hyun, H.N., A.C. Chang, D.R. Parker, and A.L. Page. 1998. Cadmium solubility and phytoavailability in sludge-treated soil: Effects of soil organic carbon. Journal of Environmental Quality, 27:329-334.
- Joshi B.C, G. Dwivedi, A. Powell, and M. Holscher. 1981. Immune complex nephritis in rats induced by long-term oral exposure to cadmium, J. Comp. Path. 91:11-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9975(81)90040-2
- Jung, B.G., J.W. Choi, E.S. Yun, J.H. Yoon, and Y.H. Kim. 2001. Monitoring on chemical properties of bench marked upland soils in Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 34:326-332.
- Jung, G.B., H.C. Kim, K.Y. Jung, B.K. Jung, and W.I. Kim. 1998. Heavy metal contents in upland soils and crops of Korea. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 31:225-232.
- Jung S.J., S.D. Lee, S.J. Kim, S.A. Jo, N.H. Kim, H.J. Jung, H.S. Kim, and K.Y. Han, 2011. Monitoring of sulfur dioxide residue in commercial medicinal herbs in Seoul 2010. J Food Hyg Safety, 26:435-447.
- Kashem, M.A. and B.R. Singh. 2001. Metal availability in contaminated soils: I. Effects of floodingand organic matter on changes in Eh, pH and solubility of Cd, Ni and Zn. Nutr Cycl Agroecosys, 61:247-255. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013762204510
- Kim, B.Y., K.S. Kim, J.S. Lee, and S.H. Yoo. 1994. Survey on the Natural Content of Heavy metal in Medicinal Herbs and Their Cultivated Soils in Korea, RDA, J. Agri. Sci. 36:310-320.