- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Factors associated with Patient Activation for Self-management among Community Residents with Osteoarthritis in Korea
- Ahn, Yang Heui (Department of Nursing, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine) ;
- Kim, Bong Jeong (Department of Nursing, Cheongju University) ;
- Ham, Ok Kyung (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Kim, Seong Hoon (Department of Rehabilitation, Yonsei University Wonju College of Medicine)
- Received : 2015.08.29
- Accepted : 2015.09.23
- Published : 2015.09.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to survey patient activation for self-management and to identify factors associated with patient activation for self-management among community residents with osteoarthritis in Korea. Methods: Cross-sectional study design was used. Survey data were collected from 270 community residents with osteoarthritis through direct interviews. Studied factors included patient activation, joint pain, physical function, depression, and general characteristics. Data were analyzed using chi-squared test, t-test and multivariate logistic regression analysis. Results: The participants' mean score of patient activation was
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF)
- World Health Organization. Chronic rheumatic conditions [Internet]. Geneva: WHO. 2013 [cited 2015 August 1] Available from: http://www.who.int/chp/topics/rheumatic/en/
- Ministry of Health and Welfare.Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Korea health statistics 2013: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-1). Seoul: Korea Centers for Disease control and Prevention Korea 2014 December. Report No:11-1351159-000027-10.
- Robbins L, Kulesa MG. The state of the science in the prevention and management of osteoarthritis. American Journal of Nursing. 2012;112(3):25-33. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000412636.55398.06 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NAJ.0000412636.55398.06
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: Evidence-based guideline 2nd ed. Rosemont IL: American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons 2013. 1200 p.
- Donald M, Ware RS, Ozolins IZ, Begum N, Crowther R, Bain C. The role of patient activation in frequent attendance at primary care: Apopulation-based study of people with chronic disease. Patient Education and Counseling. 2011;83(2):217-221. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2010.05.031
- Hibbard JH, Mahoney ER, Stockard J, Tusler M. Development and testing of a short form of the patient activation measure. Health Services Research. 2005;40(6 p1):1918-1930. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2005.00438.x https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2005.00438.x
- Hendriks M, Rademakers J. Relationships between patient activation, disease-specific knowledge and health outcomes among people with diabetes: A survey study. BioMedCentral Health Services Research. 2014;14(1):393-401. http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-14-393 https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-14-393
- Mosen DM, Schmittdiel J, Hibbard J, SobelD, Remmers C, Bellows J. Is patient activation associated with outcomes of care for adults with chronic conditions? Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. 200730(1):21-29. https://doi.org/10.1097/00004479-200701000-00005
- Remmers C, Hibbard J, Mosen DM, Wagenfield M, Hoye RE, Jones C. Is patient activation associated with future health outcomes and healthcare utilization among patients with diabetes? Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. 2009;32 (4):320-327. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0b013e3181ba6e77 https://doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0b013e3181ba6e77
- Greene J, Hibbard JH. Why does patient activation matter? An examination of therelationships between patient activation and health-related outcomes. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2012;27(5):520-526. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1931-2 https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-011-1931-2
- Gerber LM, Barron Y, Mongoven J, McDonald M, Henriquez E, Andreopoulos E, et al. Activation among chronically ill older adults with complex medical needs: Challenges to supporting effective self-management. Journal of Ambulatory Care Management. 2011;34(3):292-303. http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0b013e31821c63b1 https://doi.org/10.1097/JAC.0b013e31821c63b1
- Hibbard JH, Cunningham PJ. How engaged are consumers in their health and health care, and why does it matter? Research Briefs. 2008;8:1-10.
- Lubetkin EI, Lu W, Gold MR. Levels and correlates of patient activation in health center settings: Building strategies for improving health outcomes. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2010;21(3):796-808. http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/hpu.0.0350 https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.0.0350
- Kawi J. Self-management and self-management support on functional ablement in chronic low back pain. Pain Management Nursing. 2014;15(1):41-50. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2012.05.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmn.2012.05.001
- Cheon EY. The effects of a self-management program on physical function and quality of life of patients with knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing. 2005;35(3):514-525. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.3.514
- Jeong YH, Kim JI. Effects of a 9-week self-help management . aquaticexercise program on pain, flexibility, balance, fatigue and self-efficacy in the patients with osteoarthritis. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2010;17(1):47-57. https://doi.org/10.5953/JMJH.2010.17.1.047
- Ahn YH, Yi CH, Ham OK, Kim BJ. Psychometric properties of the Korean version of the "Patient Activation Measure 13" (PAM13-K) in patients with osteoarthritis. Evaluation & the Health Professions. 2015;38(2):255-264. http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/0163278714540915 https://doi.org/10.1177/0163278714540915
- Bae SC, Lee HS, Yun HR, Kim TH, Yoo DH, Kim SY. Cross cultural adaptation and validation of Korean Western Ontario and McMaster Universities (WOMAC) and Lequesne osteoarthritis indices for clinical research. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001;9(8):746-750. http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0471 https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2001.0471
- Song R, Lee EO, Lam P, Bae SC. Effects of tai chi exercise on pain, balance, muscle strength, and perceived difficulties in physical functioning in older women with osteoarthritis: A randomized clinical trial. The Journal of Rheumatology. 2003;30(9):2039-2044.
- Lorig KR, Sobel DS, Ritter PL, Laurent D, Hobbs M. Effect of a self-management program on patients with chronic disease. Effective Clinical Practice. 2001;4(6):256-262.
- Cho MJ, Kim GH. Diagnostic validity of the CES-D (Korean Version) in the assessment of DSM-III-R major depression. Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric. 1993;32(3):381-399.
- Seo BN, Ham YL, Ahn YH . A study on the relationship between level of pain and depression in middle-aged women with chronic low back pain. Journal of Muscle and Joint Health. 2007;14(2):118-126.
- Begum N, Donald M, Ozolins IZ, Dower J. Hospital admissions, emergency department utilization and patient activation for self-management among people with diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2011;93(2):260-267. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.05.031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.diabres.2011.05.031
- Allen JD, Leyva B, Torres MI, Ospino H, Tom L, Rustan S, et al. Religious beliefs and cancer screening behaviors among Catholic Latinos: Implications for faith-based interventions. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved. 2014;25(2):503-526. http://dx.doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2014.0080 https://doi.org/10.1353/hpu.2014.0080
- Holt CL, Clark EM, Roth DL. Positive and negative religious beliefs explaining the religion-health connection among African Americans. The International Journal for the Psychology of Religion. 2014;24(4):311-331. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10508619.2013.828993 https://doi.org/10.1080/10508619.2013.828993
- Smith SG, Pandit A, Rush SR, Wolf MS, Simon C. The association between patient activation and accessing online health information: Results from a national survey of US adults. Health Expectations. 2014. Forthcoming. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/hex.12316
- Magnezi R, Glasser S, Shalev H, Sheiber A,Reuveni H. Patient activation, depression and quality of life. Patient Education and Counseling. 2014;94(3):432-437. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.10.015 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pec.2013.10.015
- Green CA, Perrin NA, Polen MR, Leo MC, Hibbard JH, Tusle, M. Development of the patient activation measure for mental health. Adminstration and Policy in Mental Health. 2010;37(4):327-333. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10488-009-0239-6 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-009-0239-6
- Gleicher Y, Croxford R, Hochman J, Hawker G. A prospective study of mental health care for comorbid depressed mood in older adults with painful osteoarthritis. BMC Psychiatry. 2011;11:147-156. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1186/1471-244X-11-147 https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-11-147
- Hibbard JH, Greene J, Becker ER, Roblin DW, Painter MW, Perez DJ, et al. Racial/ethnic disparities and consumer activation in health. Health Affairs. 2008;27(5):1442-1453. http://dx.doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.27.5.1442 https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.27.5.1442