- Volume 24 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Influence of Houttuynia Cordata Powder on The Growth Performance of Ducks and The Impact of AlCl3 Treatment on Ammonia flux in Duck Litter
- Chung, Tae-Ho (Department of Companion Animal & Animal Resources Science, Joongbu University) ;
- Choi, In-Hag (Department of Companion Animal & Animal Resources Science, Joongbu University)
- Received : 2015.09.20
- Accepted : 2015.10.15
- Published : 2015.10.31
The effects of Houttuynia cordata powder on the growth performance of ducks were investigated. Ninety ducks were assigned into one of three dietary treatments as a completely randomized design for 6 weeks: feeds supplemented with 1% or 2% H. cordata and a control group. No significant difference was observed in feed conversion among the three groups (p > 0.05), but addition of H. cordata had a significantly positive effect (p < 0.05) on initial and final body weight, weight gain, and feed intake of the ducks. Furthermore, the effects of chemical treatment (comprising 50 g and 100 g aluminum chloride [
Houttuynia cordata powder;Aluminum chloride;Growth performance;Ammonia;Duck litter
Supported by : Joongbu University
- Abdulla, M. A., Ahmed, K. A., AL-Bayaty, F.H., Masood, Y., 2010, Gastroprotective effect of Phyllanthus niruri leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injury in rats. Afr. J. Pharm. Pharacol, 4, 226-230.
- Catala-Gregori, P., Mallet, S., Travel, A., Lessire, M., 2008, Efficiency of a prebiotic and a plant extract on broiler performance and intestinal physiology. 16th European Symposium on Poultry Nutrition, World Poultry Science Association, Strasbourg, France.
- Chen, Y. Y., Liu, J. F., Chen, C. M., Chao, P. Y., Chang, T. J., 2003, A study of the antioxidative and antimutagenic effects of Houttuynia cordata Thunb. using an oidized fying oil-fed model, J. Nutr. Sci. Vitaminol, 49, 327-333. https://doi.org/10.3177/jnsv.49.327
- Choi, I. H., Choi, J. H., Ko, S. H., Moore, P. A. Jr., 2011, Reducing ammonia emissions and volatile fatty acids in poultry litter with liquid aluminum chloride, J. Environ. Sci. Health., Part B, 46, 432 435.
- Duncan, D. B., 1955, Multiple range test, Biometrics, 11, 1-6. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Fu, J., Ling Dai, L., Lin, Z., Lu, H., 2013, Houttuynia cordata Thunb: A review of phytochemistry and pharmacology and quality control, Chin. Med, 4, 101-123. https://doi.org/10.4236/cm.2013.43015
- Hayashi, K., Kamiya, M., Hayashi, T., 1995, Virucidal effects of the steam distillate from Houttuynia cordata and its components on HSV-1, influenza virus, and HIV, Planta Medica, 61, 237-241. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2006-958063
- Kim, I. S., Kim, J. H., Kim, J. S., Yun, C. Y., Kim D. H., Lee, J. S., 2007, The inhibitory effect of Houttuynia cordata extract on stem cell factor-induced HMC-1 cell migration, J. Ethnopharmacol, 112, 90-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2007.02.010
- Lee, G. D., Kim, S. C., Choi, I. H., 2013, Using anhydrous aluminum chloride with calcium Carbonate to reduce ammonia volatilization and increase nitrogen content from poultry litter, J. Poult. Sci, 50, 172-176. https://doi.org/10.2141/jpsa.0120139
- Lu, H., Liang, Y., Yi, L., Wu, X., 2006, Anti-inflammatory effect of Houttuynia cordata Injection, J. Ethnopharmacol., 104, 245-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.09.012
- Pokharel, B., 2010, Ammonia Emission from Poultry Industry, its Effects and Mitigation Mechanism, International Veterinary Students Association's Newsletter, December.
- SAS Institute, 2002, SAS/STAT User's Guide: Version 8.2. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Smith, D. R., Moore, P.A. Jr., Maxwell, C.V., Daniel, T.C., 2001, Dietary phytase and aluminum chloride manure amendments to reduce phosphorus and ammonia volatilization from swine manure. Pages 502-507 in Proceeding of 2001 International Symposium. G. B. Havenstein, ed. North Carolina State University, Raleigh.
- Wenk, C., 2003, Herbs and botanicals as feed additives in monogastric animals. Asian-Austral J. Aim Sci, 16, 282-289. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.282
- Yan, L., Meng, Q. W., Kim, I. H., 2011, The effects of dietary Houttuynia cordata and Taraxacum officinale extract powder on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs, Livest. Sci, 141, 188-193. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.017
- Yan, L., Zhang, Z. F., Park, J. C., Kim, I. H., 2012, Evaluation of Houttuynia cordata and Taraxacum officinale on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, and fecal microbial shedding in diet for weaning pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci, 25, 1439-1444. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12215