- Volume 25 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Proximate Components, Free Sugar, Vitamin C and Minerals of 16 Kinds of Honey produced in Korea with Manuka Honey
국내산 16종 벌꿀의 일반성분, 유리당, 비타민 C 및 무기질 분석 - 뉴질랜드 마누카꿀과의 비교 -
- Paik, Weon-Ki (Division of Life Science & Chemistry, Daejin University) ;
- Kwak, Ae-Kyung (Division of Life Science & Chemistry, Daejin University) ;
- Lee, Myeong-Lyeol (Dept. of Agricultural Biology, Rural Development Administration, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Choi, Yong-Soo (Dept. of Agricultural Biology, Rural Development Administration, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Kim, Hye-Kyung (Dept. of Agricultural Biology, Rural Development Administration, National Academy of Agricultural Science) ;
- Choi, Kyungsuk (Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, Daejin University)
- 백원기 (대진대학교 생명화학부) ;
- 곽애경 (대진대학교 생명화학부) ;
- 이명렬 (농촌진흥원 국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 최용수 (농촌진흥원 국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 김혜경 (농촌진흥원 국립농업과학원 잠사양봉소재과) ;
- 최경숙 (대진대학교 식품영양학과)
- Received : 2015.08.28
- Accepted : 2015.10.12
- Published : 2015.10.30
To confirm basic nutrient contents of Korean honey as a food material, we assessed New Zealand Manuka honey by measuring proximate components, vitamin C and minerals of 16 kinds of honey harvested in South Korea. The proximate composition of each honey sample was as follows: moisture content 18.45~29.84%, crude protein 0.10~0.95% (vs Manuka honey 0.23%), crude fat 0.02~0.60% (vs Manuka honey 0.34%), crude ash 0.01~.52% (vs Manuka honey 0.24%) and carbohydrate 67.90~80.94% (vs Manuka honey 79.39%), respectively. In the case of free sugars analyze by HPLC, fructose showed a content of 26.12~49.84% which was highest in acacia honey and lowest in sorbus honey. Content of glucose was 19.38~36.12% and lowest in chestnut honey, whereas sucrose, lactose, maltose were absent. Total sugar contents were 64.16% which was less than Manuka honey (70.23%) and vitamin C was not detected in all samples. Minerals were detected 15~25 kinds, including K, Ca, Mg, Zn, Fe, Cu, Mo and so on. Ca was high in order of linden > canola > codonopsis > hedysarum honey, and K was higher than in Manuka honey in order of chestnut > hedysarum > codonopsis > jujube honey. Especially, these results suggest that Korean honey have a better nutrient content profile than Manuka honey.
Supported by : 국립농업과학원
- Blaser MJ (1990) Helicobacter pylori and the pathogenesis of gastroduodenal inflammation. J Infect Dis 161: 626-633. https://doi.org/10.1093/infdis/161.4.626
- Chang HG, Bae JH, Lee DT, Chun SK, Kim JG (1987) Mineral constituents of honey produced in Korea. Korean J Food Sci Technol 19: 426-428.
- Chen LA, Mehta M, Berenbaum AR, Zangerl Engeseth NJ (2000) Honeys from different floral sources as inhibitors of enzymatic browning in fruit and vegetable homogenates. J Agric Food Chem 48: 4997-5000. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf000373j
- Chung DH, Baek SH (2002) Antibacterial activity of honeys on the Staphyloccus aureus. Korean J Food & Nutr 15: 158-164.
- Chung WC, Kim MW, Song KJ, Choi EH (1984) Chemical composition in relation to quality evaluation of Korean honey. Korean J Food Sci Technol 16: 17-22.
- Ferreres FA, Tomas-Barberan BI Gil, Tomas-Lorents F (1991) An HPLC technique for flavonoid analysis in honey. J Sci Food Afric 56: 49-56. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740560106
- Han JG, Kim K, Kim DY, Kim SK (1985) Composition, the chages of diastase activity and hydroxymethylfurfural content during storage of the various honey samples. Korean J Food Sci Technol 17: 155-162.
- Hase S, Aid Y, Kawamura UU (1978) The Mineral Composition of Honey. Shokuhin Soga Kenkyusho Kenkyu Hokoku. Japan. pp 33-89.
- Hawer WD, Ha JH, Nam YJ (1992) The assessment of honey by stable carbon isotope anal. Anal Sci Technol 5: 229-234.
- Jeong CJ, Bae YI, Lee HJ, Shim KH (2003) Chemical components of propolis and its ethanolic extracts. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nut 32: 501-504. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.4.501
- Jung ME, Kim CJ, Paik HD, Oh JW, Lee SK (2011) Comparision of mineral, hydroxy methyl furfural content and SDS-PAGE pattern of proteins in different honeys. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 31: 241-249. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.2.241
- Kim BN, Kim TJ, Cheigh HS (1994) Free amino acid, sugar and enzyme activity of honey harvested in Kangwon area. J Korean Soc Food Nutr 23: 680-685.
- Kim ES, Rhee CO (1996) Comparison of quality attributes of Korean native bee honey and foreign bee by K/Na ratio. J Kor Sic Food Nutr 25: 672-679.
- Kim HK, Lee MY, Hong IP, Choi YS, Kim NS, Lee MY, Lee SC (2010) Antioxidant and antimicrobial capacity of several monofloral honey correlation with phenolic and flavonoid contents. Korean J Apiculture 25: 275-282.
- Kim JY, Song HY, Moon JA, Shin MH, Baek SH (2014) Quality properties of honey in Korean commercial markets. Korean J Food Sci Technol 46: 432-437. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2014.46.4.432
- Korean Nutrition Society (2010) Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans. p 485.
- Lee ML, Kim HK, Lee MY, Choi YS, Kim HB, Chung HG, Kim SH (2007) Antiooxidant and antibacterial capacity of chestnut(Castanea crenata var. dulcis) honey produced in Korea. Korean J Apiculture 22: 147-152.
- Lee SU, Kim KS, Kim KR, Cho ST, Lee KJ, Kim KH (1971) Studies on tasty constitudents in various foodstuffs. Korean J Food Sci Technol 3: 168-171.
- Lee SW, Kim HJ, Hwangbo S (2001) Studies on the chemical characteristics of Korean propolis. Korean J Food Sci Ani Resour 21: 383-384.
- Lee SW, Hwangbo S, Kim HJ (2002) Antimicrobial activities of Korean propolis. Korean J Food Sc Ani Resour 22: 66-71.
- Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (2013) Food Code. Notification 2013-2014. Ministry of Food and Drug Safety, Cheongju, Korea.
- Ozcan M, Arslan D, Ceylan DA (2006) Effect of inverted saccharose on some properties of honey. Food Chem 99: 24-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.07.009
- Park HK, Kim SB, Shim CH (2008) Antimicrobial activity of water soluble propolis. Korean J Food & Nutr 21 15-21.
- Park HY, Oh HW, Park DS, Chang YD (1995) Antimicrobial activities of honeybee propolis extracts in Korea. Korean J Apiculture 18: 53-56.
- Rashed MN, Soltan ME (2004) Major and trace elements in different types of Egyptian mono-floral and non-floral bee honeys. J Food Comp Anal 17: 725-735. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2003.10.004
- Rural Development Administration (2012) Standard Food Composition Table. 8th revision pp 82-83.
- Rural Development Administration (2010) Agricultural Technology Report http://www.rda.go.kr/board accessed on 30. 9. 2015.
- Rhim JY, Moon TS, Jung SH, Lee KY, Lyu SY, Shim CS, Park WB (2002) Antimicrobial activities of combined extract of aloe vera with propolis against oral pathogens. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 31: 899-904. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2002.31.5.899
- Sabatier S, Amiot MJ, Tacchini M, Aubert S (1992) Identification of flavonoids in sunflower honey. J Food Sci 57: 773-777. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1992.tb08094.x
- Shallenberger RS, Guild WE, Morse RA (1975) Detecting Honey Blended with Sugar Syrup. New York Food and Life Science, 8: 8.
- Shin H, Ustunol Z (2005) Carbohydrate composition of honey from different floral sources and their influence on growth of selected intestina bacteria. Food Res Int 38: 721-728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2005.01.007
- Son TR (2003) Studies on the antimicrobial effect of extracts of propolis. J Fd Hyg Safety 18: 184-194.
- Watanabe K, Rahmasari R, Matsunaga A, Haruyama T, Kobayashi N (2014) Anti-influenza viral effects of honey in vitro:Potent high activity of manuka honey. Arch Med Res 45: 359-365. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arcmed.2014.05.006
- Wilix DJ, Molan PC, Harfoot CG (1992) A comparison of the sensitivity of wound-infecting species of bacteria to the antibacterial activity of manuka honey and other honeys. J Appl Bacteriol 73: 338-394.
- Yanniotis S, Skaltsi S, Karaburnilti S (2006) Effect of moisture content on the viscosity of honey at different temperatures. J Food Eng 72: 372-377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.12.017