- Volume 48 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
3D Modeling Approaches in Estimation of Resource and Production of Musan Iron Mine, North Korea
3차원 모델링을 활용한 북한 무산광산일대의 자원량 및 생산량 추정
- Bae, Sungji (Department of Astronomy, Space Science, & Geology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, Jaehyung (Department of Geology and Earth Environmental Sciences, Chungnam National University) ;
- Koh, Sang-Mo (Mineral Resources Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources) ;
- Heo, Chul-Ho (Mineral Resources Division, Korea Institute of Geoscience and Mineral Resources)
- Received : 2015.07.18
- Accepted : 2015.09.23
- Published : 2015.10.28
Korea is a global steel producer and a major consumer while iron ore producing is very low compared to the demand. On the other hand, North Korea holds tremendous amount of iron reserves and, however, its producing rate is limited. Moreover, the data regarding mineral resources of North Korea is very limited and uncertain because of political isolation. This study estimated the amount of iron ore resource and production amount for the Musan Iron mine, the world-known open-pit mine of North Korea, using satellite imagery(Landsat MSS, ASTER) and digital maps between 1976 to 2007. As a result, the mining area of Musan mine was increased by
- Chi et al. (2012) Evaluation of development possibility for the security of industrial mineral resources (Cu, Pb, Zn, Au etc.) on the domestic mines. KIGAM Research Report, GP2010-024-2012(3).
- Cho, B.W., Lee, Y.W. and Choi, S.Y. (1997) A study on the Map Accuracy Assessment of Positioning Data Using Statistical Approach Analysis, Journal of Korean Society for Geospatial Information System, v.5, n.1, p.71-80.
- Eo, Y.D., Song, H.S., Lee, Y.W., Park, C.G. and Hwang, M.K. (2007) Analysis of Positioning Result in Detection System Based on Digital Terrain Elevation Data. Journal of The Korean Cadastre Information Association. v.9, n.2, p.13-19
- Fan, Z., Huang, X., Tan, L., Yang, X., Zhang, H., Zhou, D., Liu, Q. and Cao, B (2014) A study of iron deposits in the Anshan area, China based on interactive inversion technique of gravity and magnetic anomalies. Journal of Ore Geology Reviews, v.57, p.618-627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2013.09.017
- Fujisada, H.F. (1995) Design and performance of ASTER instrument, in Proceedings of SPIE. Journal of International Society Optical Engineering, v.2583, p.16-25.
- Geol. Soc. Korea (1999) Geology of Korea, Sigma Press, Seoul, 802p.
- Gwon, H.H. and Nam, G.S. (2007) Engineering of Mining Hazard Prevention and Reclamation, DongHwa Technology Publishing, Paju, 327p.
- Han, S.H and Han J.H (1997) Recent North Korean topographic map (1:50000), Kyungin publishing, Seoul, 400p.
- Hartman, H.L. and Mutmansky, J,M (2010) Introductory Mining Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 571p.
- Helder, D. L., Karki, S., Bhatt, R., Micijevic, E., Aaron, D., and Jasinski, B. (2012). Radiometric calibration of the Landsat MSS sensor series. Journal of IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, v.50, n.6, p.2380-2399. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2011.2171351
- Hong, S.Y., Rim, S.K., Lee, S.H., Lee, J.C. and Kim, Y.H. (2008) Spatial Anaylsis of Agro-Environment of North Korea Using Remote Sensing - I. Landcover Classification from Landsat TM imagery and Topography Analysis in North Korea, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, v.27, n.2, p.120-132. https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2008.27.2.120
- KIGAM (2014) Korea Mineral Information, KIGAM, Online publishing, 70p.
- Kim, B.M., Lim, K.C. and Lee, J.J. (1992) The possibility of the two Koreas, the scientific technology exchanges and cooperative measures, Policy research 92-03, p.1-115.
Kim, K.H. (2002) "Reserves 5.2 billion ton(Fe24%) of World-class open-pit mine": Clough Engineering Ltd and Mitsui Mineral Development Engineering Co. Ltd make a report together
, A publication of Minjog21, Serial Number 10(2002. 01), p.108-113.
- Kim, K.L., Chun, H.W. and Hyun, M.H. (2001) A study on 3D-Transformation of Krazovsky Coordinate System, Korean Journal of Geomatics, v.19, n.2, p.117-123.
- Kim, Y.Y. (2005) The implementation plan and structure to develop the North Korean mineral resources. A series of academic conferences of KINU, p.67-137.
- Koh, S.M., Lee, G.J. and Edward Y. (2013) Status of Mineral Resources and Mining Development in North Korea, Journal of Econ. Environ Geol, v.46, n.4, p.291-300. https://doi.org/10.9719/EEG.2013.46.4.291
- Koh, S.M et al. (2015) DB construction of mineral resources and analysis of mineralized areas in North Korea. KIGAM research report JP2014-001 -2015(1), 370p.
- Kwak, J.Y. and Choi, J.B. (2013) 3D Modeling and resource estimation of the Archean greenstone belt gold deposits in Australia by using GOCAD S/W, Proceedings of the Annual joint Conference 2013, the Mineralogical Society of Korea and the Petrological Society of Korea, p.3-5.
- Kwak, J.Y., Choi, J.B. and Cho, H.G. (2013) 3D Modeling For Resources Estimation of Ilmenite Deposits in Jikjeon-Ri, Hadong Korea, Journal of the Mineralogical Society of Korea, v.26, n.4, p.285-297. https://doi.org/10.9727/jmsk.2013.26.4.285
- Lee, I.J., Lee, Y.W. and Suh, Y.C. (2010) Development of a Web-based System for Raster Data Analysis Using Map Algebra, Journal of The Korean Society GeoSpatial Information System, v.18, n.4, p.131-139.
- Nam, S.Y (2014) Development of iron ore from North Korea and Inter-Korean Cooperation, The Korean Journal of Unification Affairs, v.26, n.2, p.75-113.
- NGII (2014) The maps of North Korea, NGII, On-line publishing, 625p.
- Nioti, F., Dimopoulos, P., and Koutsias, N. (2011). Correcting the Fire Scar Perimeter of a 1983 Wildfire Using USGS-Archived Landsat Satellite Data. Article of GIScience & Remote Sensing, v.48, n.4, p.600-613. https://doi.org/10.2747/1548-1603.48.4.600
- Park, J.W. and Lee, J.S. (2014) Stand Volume Estimation of Pinus Koraiensis Using Landsat TM and Forest Inventory, Journal of the Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, n.17, v.1, p.80-90. https://doi.org/10.11108/kagis.2014.17.1.080
- Sakong, H.S. and Park, J.H. (2005) Assembling Geographic Information with SPOT-5 Satellite Imagery : A Case Study on North Korea, Journal of The Korean Association of Geographic Information Studies, v.8, n.4, p.134-142.
- SONOSA (2011) The North Korea mineral resources. 218p.
- The Earth Environment Information of North Korea (1988) Chosun Geographical Encyclopedia, Educational publishing company, Pyongyang, 667p.
- USGS (1999) The Mineral Industry of North Korea.
- Wang, E. D., Xia, J. M., Fu, J. F., Jia, S. S., and Men, Y. K. (2014), Formation mechanism of Gongchangling highgrade magnetite deposit hosted in Archean BIF, Anshan- Benxi area, Northeastern China. Journal of Ore Geology Reviews, v.57, p.308-321. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oregeorev.2013.09.013
- WORLDSTEEL (2015) World steel in figures. World Steel Association, Belgium, 30p.
- Yoon, E. (2011). Status and Future of the North Korean Minerals Sector. University of San Francisco Centre for the Pacific Rim, 43p.
- Zhai, M., Guo, J., Li, Z., Chen, D., Peng, P., Li, T., Hou, Q. and Fan, Q. (2007) Linking the Sulu UHP belt to the Korean Peninsula: evidence from eclogite, Precambrian basement, and Paleozoic sedimentary basins. Journal of Gondwana Research, v.12, n.4, p.388-403. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gr.2007.02.003