- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A study on undergraduate students' self-growth experiences in a counseling skills training course
상담실습 수업을 통한 대학생들의 자기성장 경험 연구 : 융합적 교육방법을 활용한 수업사례 연구
- Kim, Youngeun (Division of Christian Studies, Baekseok University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Jung (Division of Social Welfare, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2015.08.01
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of this study is to explore undergraduate students' self-growth experiences in a counseling skills training course. Participants of this study were seven students who completed the counseling skills course in a university. The analysis was done on the weekly reflective journals they had written during the course using Colaizzi's phenomenological qualitative method. As a result, 26 themes and 11 theme clusters which emerged: projecting oneself onto client, exploring interpersonal dynamics, approaching one's emotions, discovering oneself that he was not conscious of, examining connection between the present and the past, experiencing difficulties due to facing self, feeling concerned about performing a role as counselor, increasing growth motive, finding value of self-awareness, trying new actions, expanding acceptance of oneself and others. Likewise, undergraduate students were experiencing self-growth in a variety of aspects. This study has implications in that it shed a rich light on the self-growth of a counselor that has not received much attention so far. In the future, this study can be utilized in the development of holistic counseling training programs that would systematically facilitate counselors' self-growth.
- H. S. Lee, S. H. Joo, H. J. Kim, "Critical Incidents Experience in Counselor Intern Development", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 833-859. 2011.
- Geller, J. D., Norcross, J. C., Orlinsky, D. E., "The Psychotherapy's Own Psychotherapy: Patient and Clinical Perspectives", New York: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- E.I. Jung, "Effects of the Group Counseling Program for College Students' Self-growth and Interpersonal Competence: Focus on Interpersonal Competence and Subjective Well-being", Education Method Studies, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 687-712, 2011. https://doi.org/10.17927/tkjems.2011.23.4.687
- Skovholt, T. M, "The Resilient Practitioner", MA: Allyn & Bacon, 2001.
- Corey, M. S., Corey, G. Becoming a helper. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole, 2002.
- Luborsky, L., McClellan, A. T., Diguer, L., Woody, G., Seligman, D. A., "Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice", Vol. 4, pp. 53-65, 1997.
- Huppert, J. D., Bufka, L. F., Barlow, D. H., Gorman, J. M., Shear, M. K., Woods, S. W., "Therapists, Therapist Variables, and Cognitive-behavioral Therapy Outcome in a Multicenter Trial for Panic Disorder", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 69, pp. 747-755, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.69.5.747
- Wampold, B. E, "The Great Psychotherapy Debate: Models, Methods and Findings", Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2001.
- Hill, C. E., Sullivan, C, Knox, S., Schlosser, L. Z., "Becoming Psychotherapists: Experiences of Novice Trainees in a Beginning Graduate Class", Psychotherapy Theory, Research, Practice, Training, Vol. 44, No. 4, pp. 434-449, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-3126.96.36.1994
- Folkes-Skinner, J., Elliott, R., Wheeler, S., "A Baptism of Fire: A Qualitative Investigation of a Trainee Counselor's Experience at the Start of Training", Counseling and Psychotherapy Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 83-92, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/14733141003750509
- Skovholt, T. M., Ronnestad, M. H., "Themes in Therapist and Counselor Development", Journal of Counseling and Development, Vol. 70, No. 4, pp. 505-515, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1992.tb01646.x
- E. J. Shon, "Reflective Thinking and Professionalism", Studies on Student's Life, Vol. 28, pp. 31-54, 2003.
- Hae-Won Shim, "The Differences of Self-Talk According to Counselor's Developmental and Anxiety Levels". Ph. D. dissertaion, Ewha Woman University. 2005.
- Min-Jung Chae, "An Analysis of the Counselor's Self-Talk about Client's No-Show: Focus on the Counselor's Developmental Differences". Master. dissertation, Seoul National University. 2007.
- Yoon-Joo Lee, "Development and Validation of the Case Conceptualization Elements in Counseling" Ph. D. dissertation, Seoul National University. 2001.
- J. H. Son, K. H. Kim, "Identification and Classification of the Obstructive Factors to Counselor Awareness in Counseling Process", The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 163-180, 2001.
- E. J. Sohn, S. K. Yoo, H. W. Shim, "Counselor's Reflection and the Development of Expertise", The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 367-380, 2003.
- J. S. Kim, "The Significance and Application of Reflective Practice in Counselor Education", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 813-831, 2005.
- J. Y. Hwang, N. W. Chung, "A Study on the Self-Reflection of the Counselors", Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 241-263, 2010. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2010.29.1.014
- Nelson, S. A., Karmo, M. P., Nelson, N. L, "A Qualitative Study of Experts' Conceptualization of Supervisee Reflectivity", Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 43, pp. 3-9, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-0188.8.131.52
- C. W. Hwang, J. A. Park, S. K. Yoo, J. Y. Kang, "A Qualitative Study on Graduate Students' Experiences in Counseling Psychology Program in Korea", The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 1359-1382, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.3.200909.1359
- Howard, E. E., Inman, A. G., Altman, A. N., "Critical Incidents among Novice Counselor Trainees", Counselor Education and Supervision, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp. 88-102, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6978.2006.tb00015.x
- Paris, E., Linville, D., Rosen, K., "Marriage and Family Therapist Interns' Experiences of Growth", Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 45-57, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1752-0606.2006.tb01587.x
- Se-Il Kim, "A Phenomenological Study on the Growth Experience of Youth Counselors". Ph. D. dissertation, Kyungsung University, 2013.
- Hyun-Soo Oh, "Analysis on the Experience of Overcoming Frustration in the Developmental Process of Professional Counselors". Ph. D. dissertation, Baekseok University, 2008.
- Rhodes, P., Nge, C., Wallis, A., Hunt, C. "Learning and Living Systematic: Exploring the Personal Effects of Family Therapy Training", Contemporary Family Therapy: An International Journal, Vol. 33, No. 4, pp. 335-347, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10591-011-9166-2
- K. H. Kim, E. M. Lim, "The Meanings of Self-growth Graduate Students Majoring in Counseling Experience from Group Counseling in Class", Korean Journal of Counseling. Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 195-215. 2014. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.1.201402.195
- M. J. Lee, S. M. Park, "A Phenomenological Study on Self-Development Experiences of Counselors during Counseling Training", Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 1-29, 2015.
- Y. H. Go, S. H. Park, "Phenomenological Study on Counselor's Professional Development with a Focus on Self-Reflection", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 805-839, 2014.
- J. K. Hur, J. H. Kim, "(An) Exploratory Study on the Change Processes of Counselor Development in Reflection Centered Supervision", The Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 719-740, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.10.2.200906.719
- H. S. Park, S. J. Lim, "The Effects of Psychodrama on Depression Level, Social Support, Self-Esteem, and Stress in Depressed College Students," Korean Journal of Psychodrama, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 93-115, 2002.
- Y. H. Son, K. J. Kim, "The Effect of Self-Growth Program on the Ego-Identity and Interpersonal Relations of University Students", Journal of Local Education and Management, Vol. 8, pp. 101-119, 2003.
- H. S. Kang, J. H. Lee, "The Effect of Self-Growth Program on College Student's Self-Esteem and Self-Perception", Journal of Adolescent Welfare, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 43-58, 2009.
- M. K. Song, "Study on the Experience of Counseling Practice for College Students", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 21, No. 10, pp. 337-361, 2014.
- Pascual-Leone, D. A., Wolfe, B. J., O'Connor, D., "The Reported Impact of Psychotherapy Training: Undergraduate Discourses after a Course in Experiential Psychotherapy", Person-Centered & Experiential Psychotherapies, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 152-168, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1080/14779757.2011.648099
- Colaizzi, P., "Psychological Research as the Phenomenologist Views, Existential Phenomenological Alternatives for Psychology", New York: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Edwards, J. K, Bess, J. A., "Developing Effectiveness in the Therapeutic Use of Self" Clinical Social Work Journal, Vol. 26, pp. 89-105. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022801713242
- Sullivan, H. S. "The Interpersonal Theory of Psychiatry" New York: Norton, 1953.
- M. K. Cho, "The Relationship among Happiness, Happiness promotion activities and Self-reflection in the Convergence Society", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 305-313, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.7.305
- Furr, S. R., Carroll, J. J., "Critical Incidents in Student Counselor Development". Journal of Counseling & Development, Vol. 81, No. 4, pp. 483-489. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6678.2003.tb00275.x
- Pascual-Leone, A., Rodriguez-Rubio, B., Metler, S., "What Else are Psychotherapy Trainees Learning? A Qualitative Model of Students' personal experiences based on two populations", Psychotherapy Research, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 578-591. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1080/10503307.2013.807379
- Korthagen, F., Kessels, J., Koster, B., Lagerwerf, B., Wubbels, T. "Linking Practice and Theory". Routledge. 2001.
- The Case Study on Convergence Education in Akita International University vol.14, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.6.371
- A Study on Counselor's Professional Development Experiences of Undergraduate Students Through Reflective Journal Writing vol.6, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.6.043
- Meaning of improving early childhood music classes by teaching in small group mentoring - Early childhood music teaching activities based on musical concepts; using microteaching analysis - vol.14, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.503
- Effects of ACT on Smartphone Addiction Level, Self-Control, and Anxiety of College Students with Smartphone Addiction vol.14, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.415
- The basic theoretical research for a practice of university faculty member's teaching reflection vol.14, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.57
- The Relationship between Sport Confidence, Exercise Passion and Re-Participation Intention of Collegiate Students Participating in the Snow Ski-Class vol.14, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.473
- An Empirical Study on the Influencing factors of Household Debt vol.14, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.5.177
- A Life History Approach on a Professor Academic Activities vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.227
- Nail Art Convergence Design Applying Psychedelic Art vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.255
- Teaching and learning(PBL) and explore the convergence of the Effects of the practical skills vol.7, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.2.109