- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Validation of the Korean Version of Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality Scale
다차원적 종교성/영성척도 단축형 한국어판의 타당화
- Yoon, Hyae-Young (Department of Psychology, Kei-Myoung University) ;
- Kim, Keun-Hyang (Department of Psychology, Daegu University)
- Received : 2015.07.15
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
The purpose of the current study was to validate Fetzer Institute & National Institute on Aging Working Group[NIA](1999)'s Brief-Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality Scale (BMMRS) in Korean adults. The Korean version of BMMRS, Spiritual Well-Being Scale(SWS), Korean Sprituality Scale(KSS), Penn State Worry Questionnaire(PSWQ), and Intolerance of uncertainty Scale(IUS) were administered to the 286 students and community samples. A principle axis factoring analysis with direct oblimin rotation and Kaiser normalization identified a six-factor solution accounting for 66.24% of the variance in scores, labeled as: positive spiritual experience, negative spiritual experience, forgiveness, religious practices, negative congregational support, and positive congregational support. Confirmatory factor analysis results showed that 6 factor model of BMMRS have a good fitness. Also, the internal consistency(.64~.97) and the test-retest reliablity was adequate.(.72~.88) Korean version of BMMRS has adequate psychometric characteristics so it can be used to verify the effects of various compassion-related psychotherapeutic approaches.
- K. H. Kim, "The considerations for application of spirituality in the mental health field", The Korean Journal of Psychology: General, Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 213-230, 2013.
- K. H. Kim, M. Ru, J. S. Kim, "Relationship between intrinsic/extrinsic religious orientation and subjective/spirituality well-being", Korean Clinical and Health Psychology Association Spring Congress Program and Abstract, May 1-2. Dea-Jeon: Convention Center. pp. 104-106. 2008.
- K. H. Suh, K. G. Chon, "Spiritual well-being, life stress, and coping", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 333-350, 2004.
- K. H. Suh, S. J. Chung, J. H. Koo, "Spiritual Well-Being, Life Stress, Depression, and Self-Esteem Among College Students", The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 1077-1095, 2005.
- S. Mohr, N. Perround, C. Gillieron, P. Brandt, I. Rieben, B. Laurence, P. Huguelet, "Spirituality and religiousness as predictive factors of coutcome in schizophrenia and schizo-affective disorders", Psychiatry Research, Vol. 186, No. 2, pp. 177-182, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2010.08.012
- S. Rajakumar, C. Jillings, M. Osborne, P. Tognazzi, "Spirituality and depression: the role of spirituality in the process of recovering from depression", Spirituality and Health International, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 90-100, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/shi.333
- J. Mattis, "Religion and spirituality in the meaning making and coping experiences of African American woman: A qualitative analysis", Psychology of Women Quarterly, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp.308-320, 2002.
- S. M. Kwon. "Positive Psychology", Hakjisa, pp. 30-36, 2008.
- J. Firman, J. Vargiu, "Personal and transpersonal growth: The perspective of psychosynthesis". In: Boorstein S. editors. Transpersonal Psychotherapy, Albany: SUNY Press, pp. 117-142, 1996.
- D. O. Moberg, "Subjective measures of spiritual well-being", Review of Religious Research, Vol. 25, pp. 351-364, 1984. https://doi.org/10.2307/3511368
- R. I. Gorsuch, "Measurement: The boon and bane of investigating religion", American Psychologist, Vol. 39, No. 3, pp. 228-236, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.39.3.228
- K. I. Pargament, "Religious/spiritual coping, Fetzer Institute, National Institute on Aging Working Group: Multidimensional measurement of Religiousness / Spirituality for use in Health Research. A report of a national working group supported by Fetzer Institute in Collaboration with the National Institute on Aging", Kalamazoo: Fetzer Institute, pp. 43-56, 1999.
- D.A. MacDonald, "Studying spirituality scientifically: Reflections, considerations, recommendations", Journal of Management, Spirituality & Religion, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 195-210, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/14766086.2011.599145
- Fetzer Institute/National Institute On Aging Work group, "Multidimensional measurement of religiousness/spirituality for use in health research", Kalamazoo, MI: Fetzer Institute, pp. 1-10, 1999.
- R. F. Paloutzian, C. Ellision, "Spiritual well-being scale", New York: Guilford Press, pp. 1-10, 1982.
- G. W. Allport, J. M. Ross, Personal religious orientation and prejudice, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 432-443, 1967. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0021212
- K. Y. Lee, C. H. Kim, D. W. Kim, Development of the Spirituality Scale, The Korean Journal of Counseling and Psychotherapy, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 711-728, 2003.
- C. E. Westgate, Spirituality wellness and depression, Journal of Counseling and Development, Vol. 75, No. 1, pp. 26-35, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1556-6676.1996.tb02311.x
- J. K. Kim, Gestalt Psychotherapy, Seoul: Hakjisa, 1995.
- K. S. Kendler, X. Q. Liu, C. O. Gardner, M. E. McCullough, D Larson, C. A. Prescott, Dimensions of religiosity and their relationship to lifetime psychiatric and substance use disorders, American Journal of Psychiatry, Vol. 160, No. 3, pp. 496-503, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.ajp.160.3.496
- D. P. Yoon, E. K. O. Lee, Religiousness/spirituality and subjective well-being among rural elderly whites, African Americans, and Native Americans, Journal of Human Behavior in the Social Environment, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp .191-211, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1300/J137v10n01_05
- L. G. Underwood, J. A. Teresi, The daily spiritual experience scale: Development, theoretical description, reliability, exploratory factor analysis, and preliminary construct validity using health-related data, Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 24, 1, pp. 22-33, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15324796ABM2401_04
- K. I. Pargament, H. G. Koenig, L. M. Perez, The many methods of religious coping: Development and initial validation of the RCOPE, Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 56, No. 4, pp. 519-543, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4679(200004)56:4<519::AID-JCLP6>3.0.CO;2-1
- E. I. Idler, M. A. Musick, C. G. Ellison, L. K. George, N. Krause, M. G. Ory, D. R. Williams, Measuring multiple dimensions of religion and spirituality for health research conceptual background and findings from the 1998 General Social Survey, Research on Aging, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp. 327-365, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1177/0164027503025004001
- J. A. Neff, Exploring the dimensionality of "religiosity" and "spirituality" in the Fetzer multidimensional measure, Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 449-459, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-5906.2006.00318.x
- C. Stewart, G. F. Koeske, A Preliminary Construct Validation of the Multidimensional Measurement of Religiousness/Spirituality Instrument: A Study of Southern USA Samples, he International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 181-196, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327582ijpr1603_3
- R. I. Piedmont, A. T. Mapa, J. E. Williams. A factor analysis of the Fetzer/NIA Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness/Spirituality(MMRS], Research in the Social Scientific Study of Religion, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 177-196, 2006.
- B. Johnstone, D. P. Yoon, K. I. Franklin, I. Schopp, J. Hinkebein, Reconceptualizing the factor structure of the brief multidimensional measure of religiousness/spirituality, Journal of Religion and Health, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 146-163, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-008-9179-9
- B. Johnstone B, D. P. Yoon, J. Rupright, S. Reid-Arndt, Relationships among spiritual beliefs, religious practises, congregational support and health for individuals with traumatic brain injury, Brain Injury, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 411-419, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699050902788501
- S. K. Harris, L. R. Sherritt, D. W. Holder, J. Kulig, L. A. Shrier, J. R. Knight, Reliability and validity of the brief multidimensional measure of religiousness/spirituality among adolescents, Journal of Religion and Health, Vol. 47, No. 4, pp. 438-457, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-007-9154-x
- Gallup Korea. The religion of Koreans 1984-2014, p. 3, Seoul: Gallup Korea, 2015.
- T. J. Meyer, M. I. Miller, R. I. Metzger, T. D. Borkovec, Development and validation of the Penn State Worry Questionnaire, Behaviour Research and Therapy, Vol. 28, No. 6, pp. 487-495, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-7967(90)90135-6
- J. W. Kim, B. B. Min, The relationships between intolerance of uncertainty and problem solving in worry, Korean Psychology Association Annual Congress Program and Abstracts, August 20-22. Seoul: Seoul National University. pp. 83-92. 1998.
- K. Buhr, M. J. Dugas, The intolerance of uncertainty scale: Psychometric properties of the English version, Behaviour Research and Therapy, Vol. 40, No. 8, pp. 931-945, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7967(01)00092-4
- H. K. Choi, The dysfunctional effects of chronic worry and controllable-uncontrollable treats on problem-solving, The Korean Jounral of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 287-302, 2003.
- S. Cheung, J. Lee, H. Park, J. Kim, D. Bai, K. Lee, J. Sagong, C. Song, J. Bai. A Study on Reliability and Validity of the Korean version of spiritual well-being scale, J Korean Neuropsychiatry Association, Vol. 40, No. 2, pp. 230-242, 2001.
- F. J. Floyd, K. F. Widaman, Factor analysis in the development and refinement of clinical assessment instruments, Psychological Assessment, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 286-295, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/1040-35220.127.116.116
- B. Johnstone, D. P. Yoon, Relationships between the Brief Multidimensional Measure of Religiousness / Spirituality and health outcomes for a heterogeneous rehabilitation population, Rehabilitation Psychology, Vol. 54, No. 5, pp. 422-431, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0017758
- N. Krause, Religion, aging, and health: Current status and future prospects, The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 291-293, 1997.
- J. Levin, Religious research in gerontology, 1980-1994: A systematic review, Journal of Religious Gerontology, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 3-31, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1300/J078V10N03_02
- K. I. Pargament, Spiritually integrated psychotherapy: Understanding and addressing the sacred, pp. 3-28, New York: Guilford Press, 2007.
- K. I. Maton, E. A. Wells, Religion as a community resource for well-being: Prevention, healing, and empowerment pathways, Journal of Social Issues, Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 177-193, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4560.1995.tb01330.x
- H. C. Stevenson, Managing anger: Protective, or adaptive racial socialization identity profiles and African American manhood development, Journal of Prevention & Intervention in the Community, Vol. 16, No.1-2, pp. 35-61, 1997.
- D. H. Rosmarin, S. Pirutinsky, R. P. Auerbach, T. Bjorgvinsson, J. Bigda-Peyton, G. Andersson, E. J. Krumrei, Incorporating spiritual beliefs into a cognitive model of worry, Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 67, No. 7, pp. 691-700, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1002/jclp.20798
- S. Cotton, M. E. McGrady, S. I. Rosenthal, Measurement of religiosity/spirituality in adolescent health outcomes research: Trends and recommendations, Journal of religion and health, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp .414-444, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10943-010-9324-0
- D, G, Blazer. Spirituality and Depression. In Religious and Spiritual Issues in Psychiatric Diagnosis. pp. 1-22. Arlington, VA: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. 2011.
- S. C. Cho, The Concept of Consilience in the Field of Psychiatry, Jounral of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 349-358, 2012. https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2012.51.6.349
- L. Peterson, A. Roy, Religiosity, anxiety, and meaning and purpose: Religious consequences for psychological well-being,, Religion, Personality, and Mental Health, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 49-62, 1985.
- H. B. Bosworth, K. S. Park, D. R. McQuoid, J. C. Hays, D. C. Steffens, The impact of religious practice and religious coping on geriatric depression, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 18, No. 10, pp. 905-914, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.945