- Volume 6 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Trunk Muscles Thickness in Three Different Bridge Exercises by Ultrasound Fusion Imaging
융합형 초음파 영상을 통한 세 가지 교각운동에 따른 몸통근육의 두께 비교
- Kang, Ji-Hyun (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Division of Health Science, Baekseok University) ;
- Shim, Jae-Hun (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Division of Health Science, Baekseok University)
- Received : 2015.08.22
- Accepted : 2015.10.20
- Published : 2015.10.31
This study examines the effects of different types of bridge exercises on the thickness of trunk muscles through ultrasound fusion imaging on 32 students. The thickness of the internal oblique (IO), external oblique (EO), transverse abdominis (TrA), and multifidus (Mf) muscles were measured in three different bridge exercises. The exercises included a supine bridge exercise, which was performed on a fixed support surface (Exercise A), a gym ball bridge exercise (Exercise B), and a sling bridge exercise (Exercise C). There were significant differences among the three bridge exercises in the IO, TrA, and Mf muscles. The IO was thickest in Exercise B followed by Exercise A and C. In contrast, the TrA and the Mf muscles were thickest in Exercise C followed by Exercise A and B. Therefore, the sling bridge exercise may be a more effective method of enhancing trunk muscle thickness than the exercises performed in other positions. Until recently, no previous studies had observed substantial changes in muscle thickness using ultrasound fusion imaging. This study suggests that sling bridge exercises contribute most to the activation of trunk muscles. Therefore, the research can contribute to the prescription and application of bridge exercises in clinical practices.
Bridge exercise;Muscle thickness;Ultrasound;Transverse abdominis;Multifidus
- Durall CJ, Udermann BE, Johansen DR, Gibson B, Reineke D, Reuteman P, "The effects of preseason trunk muscle training on low-back pain occurrence in women collegiate gymnasts", J Strength Cond Res, Vol. 23, Issue. 1, pp. 86-92, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e31818b93ac
- Stuge B, Lerum E, Kirkesola G, Vollestad N, "The efficacy of a treatment program focusing on specific stabilizing exercises for pelvic girdle pain after pregnancy. A randomized controlled trialA", Spine, Vol. 29, Issue 4, pp. 351-359, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.BRS.0000090827.16926.1D
- Kong YS, Cho YH, Park JW, "Changes in the activities of the trunk muscles in different kinds of bridging exercises", J Phys Ther Sci, Vol. 25, No. 12, pp. 1609-1612, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.1609
- Stevens VK, Bouche KG, Mahieu NN, Coorevits PL, Vanderstraeten GG, Danneels LA, "Trunk muscle activity in healthy subjects during bridging stabilization exercises", BMC Musculoskelet Disord, Vol. 7, No. 75, pp. 1-8, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-7-1
- Lehman GJ, Hoda W, Oliver S, "Trunk muscle activity during bridging exercises on and off a Swiss ball", Chiropr Osteopat, Vol. 13, No. 7, pp. 1-8, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1186/1746-1340-13-1
- O'Sullivan SB, Schmitz TJ, "Physical Rehabilitation : Assesment and treatment", 4th ed. Philadelphia, David company, 2001.
- Stevens VK, Coorevits PL, Bouche KG, Mahieu NN, Vanderstraeten GG, Danneels LA, "The influence of specific training on trunk muscle recruitment patterns in healthy subjects during stabilization exercises", Man Ther, Vol. 12, Issue 3, pp. 271-279, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2006.07.009
- Lee SM, Jeon JK, "Comparison of trunk muscle activity in middle-aged women according three different bridging exercise", The Korean Journal of Physical Education, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 515-521, 2014.
- O'Sullivan PB, Twomey LT, Allison GT, "Evaluation of specific stabilizing exercise in the treatment of chronic low back pain with radiologic diagnosis of spondylolysis or spondylolisthesis", Spine, Vol. 22, No. 24, pp. 2959-2967, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-199712150-00020
- Arokoski JP, Valta T, Airaksinen O, Kankaanpaa M, "Back and abdominal muscle function during stabilization exercises", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol. 82, No. 8, pp. 1089-1098, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2001.23819
- Kim SY, Kim SY, Jang HJ, "Effects of manual postural correction on the trunk and hip muscle activities during bridging exercises", Phys Ther Kor, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 38-44, 2014. https://doi.org/10.12674/ptk.2014.21.3.038
- Kim SY, Kwon JH, "Lumbar stabilization exercises using the sling system", The Journal of Korean Academy of Orthopedic Manual Therapy, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 23-39, 2001.
- Lee EY, Bang YS, Ko JK, "Effect of therapeutic gymnastic ball exercise in patients with chronic low back pain", Phys Ther Kor, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 109-121, 2003.
- Sung HR, Yang JH, Kim MS, Kang MS, Kang JS, "Effects of swiss ball exercise on functional fitness and body sway in male elderly nursing home residents", Journal of Physical Growth and Motor Development, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 91-99, 2005.
- Kwon NH, Lee HO, Park DJ, "The use of real-time ultrasound imaging for feedback during abdominal hollowing", J Korean Soc Phys Med, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 303-310, 2011.
- Hedrick WR, Hykes DL, Starchman DE, "Ultrasound physics and instrumentation", 3rd ed, St Louis, CV Mosby, 1995.
- Rumack CM, Wilson SR, Charboneau JW, "Diagonostic Ultrasound", 2nd ed. St Louis, CV Mosby, 1998.
- Shi J, Zheng YP, Chen X, Huang QH, "Assessment of muscle fatigue using sonomyography : Muscle thickness change detected from ultrasound images", Med Eng Phys, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 472-479, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.medengphy.2006.07.004
- Critchley DJ, Coutts FJ, "Abdominal muscle function in chronic low back pain patients : measurement with real-time ultrasound scanning", Phys Ther, Vol. 88, No. 6, pp. 322-332, 2002.
- Hodges PW, Pengel LM, Herbert RD, Gandevia SC, "Measurement of muscle contraction with ultrasound imaging", Muscle & Nerve. Vol. 27, No. 6, pp. 682-692, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.10375
- Strokes M, Rankin G, Newham DJ, "Ultrasound imaging of lumbar multifidus muscle : Normal reference ranges for measurements and practical guidance on the technique", Man Ther, Vol. 10, Issue 2, pp. 116-126, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2004.08.013
- Cho MS, Jeon HW, "The effects of bridge exercise on an unstable base of support on lumbar stability and the thickness of the transversus abdominis", J Phys Ther Sci, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp. 733-736, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.25.733
- Kim TY, "The effects of spinal stability exercise using the sling and mat", Korea Sport Research, Vol. 16, No. 6, pp. 273-280, 2005.
- Investigation of Wellness Management Plan Based on the Health Fitness Trend Characteristics per Generation vol.14, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.2.459
- Pelvic Compression Belt Convergence Impact on the Thickness of Multifidus and Erector Spinae Muscles vol.7, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.5.051
- The Convergence Study on the Effects of Three Pelvic Floor Muscle Excercise on Thickness of Pelvic Floor Muscle and Abdominal Muscles vol.7, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.105